Anthony Lynn: Backs Tyrod as Starter

BullBuchanan

Should this cost Anthony Lynn his job? Don't get me wrong, Tyrod seems like a  great guy and he's a good QB to have on your roster, but what exactly is Lynn thinking here?

They drafted Herbert 6th overall and he played lights out against the SB champs. He never looked like a kid in his first NFL action to me.

I know that Lynn's statement may have been looked upon like boilerplate coach speak in the past, but these days it seems ridiculous that you would go out of your way to defend your journeyman "starter" of 1 game when his rookie replacement played as well as he did.

https://sports.yahoo.com/anthony-lynn-risks-qb-controversy-with-hardline-stance-on-justin-herbert-214417416.html

• Like (+1) 3

“There's a lot we didn't get done with Justin on the field yesterday,” Lynn said on Monday “He's a backup for a reason.”

“It’s not like we won the damn game yesterday. We lost.”

wow!  Sounds like a NHL Coach.  Not your usual scared to say whT color the blue sky is NFL Coach.

now attempting to piece together the thought process...

Maybe...and we have seen when a QB comes unexpectedly Off the bench they do many times have success in that specific game.

maybe Lynn feels that with prep time the opposing teams will not let Herbert look as good and if Herbert really isn’t ready for the full spot light then Lynn will be having to bench his Rookie and that would lead to all sorts of other isssues.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

11 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

“There's a lot we didn't get done with Justin on the field yesterday,” Lynn said on Monday “He's a backup for a reason.”

wow!  Sounds like a NHL Coach.  Not your usual scared to say whT color the blue sky is NFL Coach.

Maybe...and we have seen when a QB comes unexpectedly Off the bench they do many times have success in that specific game.

maybe Lynn feels that with prep time the opposing teams will not let Herbert look as good and if Herbert really isn’t ready for the full spot light then Lynn will be having to bench his Rookie and that would lead to all sorts of other isssues.

Holy ***** he actually said that. What the hell is he thinking you build up your rookie QB's confidence you don't tear it down.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Lynn has made a ton of boneheaded calls at the helm of an NFL team, but this is just such a bizarre hill to die on. Maybe he believes that this endears him to the veterans in the locker room or something as a player's coach, but I'm pretty sure they all know that Tyrod isn't leading them to a Super Bowl.

For sure I understand taking a measured stance and not going all-in Herbert here, but he's swung so far the other way it's almost like he believes Herbert has no business playing for this team. When the inevitable time comes for him to assume the starting role, how exactly is that message delivered and sold?

They would've gotten a whole lot less done with TT out there. Was Herbert polished? Hell no, but he completely opened up the run game. They stack the box with TT which kills the run game. 

I stupidly benched Ekeler not knowing TT wasn't playing.

I don't think he's handling the media well, but you gotta let Tyrod play himself out of the job, so that there's no controversy when Herbert takes over. Otherwise, you have the potential for dissension and/or a QB carousel situation.

That's why McDermott started Peterman, lol.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't think he's handling the media well, but you gotta let Tyrod play himself out of the job, so that there's no controversy when Herbert takes over. Otherwise, you have the potential for dissension and/or a QB carousel situation.

Herbert was clearly drafted to be the QB of the future. The only reason to not play him is if he’s not ready. He looks plenty ready. It isn’t like TT is some entrenched starter. JMO

16 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah but once Allen was in there he didn't take him out. But even if he is dead set on sticking with Tyrod there has to of been a better way of doing it besides throwing Herbert under the bus.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1