Move Dodson into the starting LB's?

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He a nice player and all. $13 mil per year? Jaylin Smith money? I’m not sure I see that 

All these comparisons don't matter.  Beane and McDermott will pay based on what that players means to their scheme.  Right now  Milano is a key player in this scheme and the Bills have to identify how they would replace that talent in the scheme if Milano is allowed to hit FA

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's no way they're paying him 13M. That money will go to Tremaine. 

Way. It's far from definite. It will be difficult. It might not happen. But it's certainly possible.

They need him or someone very much like him. As of now Dodson isn't that guy, and I'm not sure he's got the physical ability. If he does, it'd be good for the Bills.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

15 million for a LB Tag.

Franchise Tags

QB: $26.824 million
RB: $10.278 million
WR: $17.865 million
TE: $10.607 million
OL: $14.781 million
DE: $17.788 million
DT: $16.126 million
LB: $15.828 million
CB: $16.338 million
S: $11.441 million
K/P: $5.019 million

Yeah, if that were to fall due in 2022, maybe. Next year, impossible. If they re-sign him, it will be with a tiny first-year salary and a very significant signing bonus w/ a good guarantee on the second year money to make it worthwhile for Milano to sign it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Mat Milano is severely underrated by Bills fans. He’s a solId, dependable and smart; one of the best LBs in the game who helps makes the defense Top 10. When he’s out they aren’t early as good and his replacement would be very difficult to plug in. 

He’s very good.

but 

He’s an injury risk.

Availability on Sunday is the best trait a player can have.  

3 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Mat Milano is severely underrated by Bills fans. He’s a solId, dependable and smart; one of the best LBs in the game who helps makes the defense Top 10. When he’s out they aren’t early as good and his replacement would be very difficult to plug in. 

Difficult to replace ok

one of the best in the game sorry no way

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Folks, the Bills only have two starting 'backers. Their primary defense includes Taron Johnson.

Yeah, Klein is in no way a starter. Not sure what people are talking about.

And I think Dodson is getting too much praise. I think people's expectations were very low and he easily exceeded them. But he stunk in coverage and played decently in the run game and screen game. That's fine, I know he's young and inexperienced, but people are acting like he played a great game. He didn't. He showed he can be a decent depth linebacker. I sure hope he doesn't have to start anymore.

Does anyone think Gesicki would have gone off like that if we had Milano helping out in coverage and Edmunds in the middle of the field? I think no. Gesicki probably would have still done well (he seems to play well against the Bills), but not to such an extent.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s very good.

but 

He’s an injury risk.

Availability on Sunday is the best trait a player can have.  

He hasn't actually missed too many games though. I was surprised to see that this was only his 5th missed game. He missed 1 last year and 3 in 2018. He played in all 16 games his rookie year.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

As soon as we signed Klein, I went to Game Pass and watched the two Saints games where Klein had the biggest statistical impact v. Tennessee, and Seattle. I thought he looked low-motor, and seemed slow to the ball, especially compared to someone like Milano. Too many plays he would wait for the play to come to him. I know a lot of Saints fans liked him, and his reputation was as a run-stuffer. But, I didn't particularly see it, and I felt we would be disappointed in him, if that was the way he played here.

I know that two, fairly random games is not much of a sample size to draw an opinion, but I feel like I'm seeing the same player in a Bills uniform. He tackles well when he's close enough to the action, but I don't see him getting after it the way Milano, Edmunds, and Lorax did last year. 

I don't know if Dodson is as good a tackler as Klein, but I do think he is faster. We'll see, and honestly, I trust McD, and Frazier over my amateur observations.

He's definitely faster. Klein is very eh

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Difficult to replace ok

one of the best in the game sorry no way

He’s difficult to replace because Milano almost always makes the right decision. Elite LB decision making is rare and undervalued trait and what makes the Bills a Top 10 defense. Thus, it makes him one of the best LBs in the game. 

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Yeah, Klein is in no way a starter. Not sure what people are talking about.

And I think Dodson is getting too much praise. I think people's expectations were very low and he easily exceeded them. But he stunk in coverage and played decently in the run game and screen game. That's fine, I know he's young and inexperienced, but people are acting like he played a great game. He didn't. He showed he can be a decent depth linebacker. I sure hope he doesn't have to start anymore.

Does anyone think Gesicki would have gone off like that if we had Milano helping out in coverage and Edmunds in the middle of the field? I think no. Gesicki probably would have still done well (he seems to play well against the Bills), but not to such an extent.

He hasn't actually missed too many games though. I was surprised to see that this was only his 5th missed game. He missed 1 last year and 3 in 2018. He played in all 16 games his rookie year.

His rookie year really can't be counted because he didn't play all that much.  He was a rotational player.

His broken Fibula was a major injury, but happened late in year so he didn't miss much games.  That happens in beginning of year, he is out the entire year and his games missed would dictate his injury prone status.

Last year his hamstring bothered him for weeks and benefited from the bye week, even though some of those weeks he played.

Here we are again with another hamstring injury that will probably bother him all year again.

It's ok to label him good, but injury prone.  That is exactly what he is.

Edited by Back2Buff

29 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Well because Edmunds was out too.... as much as Edmunds struggles against the run at time and tackling in general, the guy covers a gigantic amount of ground in the middle of the field. He's more valuable than Milano.

Yes.  And Milano is valuable as well.

I want to see Dodson more, Maybe this weekend with Edmunds in the Middle (hope he comes back) and Dodson in place of Milano (I dont think he will be back).  But I an tell you there was an Issue in the middle Sunday a HUGE issue this defense that was fielded had Zero answers for it.  

I'm late to the thread but to the question in the title, I say.... HELL NO

Dodson had a "nice" game but no where near what Milano or Edmunds brings to the field. If anything Dodson and Klein may be making the best cases as to why we should break the bank to keep Milano and Edmunds.

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

I had a Datsun once, I left it on the side of the I-90 for two weeks but nobody would steal it...

I was never more popular than when I was driving my 79 280Z a few years ago. Old dudes would stop me at every light to talk about the car and want to trade. Almost took one guy up on the offer for his sweet Benz. Then he thought about it and said "Ahhhh, my wife would kill me".

19 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I thought he looked good. It's still early, though. I don't think he's won any spots. Pretty much a wash between him and Klein.

how many games has he missed in his career?

At this point Milano is clear starter material and a playmaker in this defense. And I think he loves the Bills. If they can get a reasonable deal done, I think he and Edmunds are a very valuable pairing.

Milano is a key player in the defense. But his durability is a concern and at some point the Bills will have to make a hard choice on the roster due to the cap. They resigned Dawkins and White to big deals and they will need to make some cuts somewhere on the cap and that might be naming a price on Milano and sticking to it