Weekly PFF Hate

HappyDays

I don't really care or get worked up by these types of things, but this is just ridiculous and seems to completely discredit their entire approach.  I could almost see the argument if he just dumped off a bunch of screen passes and guys were taking it to the house, but he was throwing the ball downfield and dropping dimes everywhere.  Russ, Dak and Josh were clearly the top 3 QBs yesterday by basically any measure.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I don't really care or get worked up by these types of things, but this is just ridiculous and seems to completely discredit their entire approach.  I could almost see the argument if he just dumped off a bunch of screen passes and guys were taking it to the house, but he was throwing the ball downfield and dropping dimes everywhere.  Russ, Dak and Josh were clearly the top 3 QBs yesterday by basically any measure.

At this point I'm just more mad at people who continue to belive PFF is credible as a source of "data", rather than the claims being made.  It's like watching someone refuse to leave their horribly abusive partner.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

"almost plays" dont actually count......you realize that right?

I would count them as negative plays if I was the one grading. Just because you got lucky that doesn't mean it wasn't a bad play. Similarly, you should count great plays that didn't quite work out (i.e. a great throw that was dropped). You don't judge things based only on the end result.  

11 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I would count them as negative plays if I was the one grading. Just because you got lucky that doesn't mean it wasn't a bad play. Similarly, you should count great plays that didn't quite work out (i.e. a great throw that was dropped). You don't judge things based only on the end result.  

You do you.....but this is laughable

If your doing this for Allen then your doing this for every QB in the league I presume?

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And here we clearly see the problem with subjective vs. objective reality.

There's two kinds of people, in football as in life:

The people who change their beliefs according to the facts.

The people who change the facts according to their beliefs.

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Honestly it just a troll job. They know how avid our fan base is. PFF does it to get clicks to sell ads.

Can't quite agree here.  When PFF guys say that "Duck Hodges is a better QB than Josh Allen" or "he's a replacement level QB at this point", that's a troll job.

But their special secret sauce QB rating system is the heart and soul of their analytics enterprise.  They have a nominally "objective" grading system, and that's honestly what it split out.

So no, I don't think it's a troll job - I think it's what their grading system says, and it means their grading system is, how to say politely, "Bogus"

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'de love to actually watch them grade someone for a full game.

I like PFF because it is useful data. It's just not facts, it's an opinion. There are multiple people grading multiple players, so you'll get different grades from different people on the same player if you know what I mean. 1 guy might grade Allen higher than another guy. 

I could be wrong, but I think it's like grading an SAT essay - they have their graders watch the same film clips and grade them until they grade consistently and how PFF wants it done.  They aren't grading the whole body of work, they're grading each play using the metrics they're given

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can't quite agree here.  When PFF guys say that "Duck Hodges is a better QB than Josh Allen" or "he's a replacement level QB at this point", that's a troll job.

But their special secret sauce QB rating system is the heart and soul of their analytics enterprise.  They have a nominally "objective" grading system, and that's honestly what it split out.

So no, I don't think it's a troll job - I think it's what their grading system says, and it means their grading system is, how to say politely, "Bogus"

I could be wrong, but I think it's like grading an SAT essay - they have their graders watch the same film clips and grade them until they grade consistently and how PFF wants it done.  They aren't grading the whole body of work, they're grading each play using the metrics they're given

Well either way it’s just a joke of a publication. It’s what I see a lot of these days. People who never played the game and have very little understanding of it are now experts due to analyzing it. It’s a joke. Numbers tell part of a story and must be looked at in conjunction with other factors. 

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Haha wow. This is crazy. He's looking at something that happened right in front of us and saying it didn't happen. That is cult like.

You have to really be willfully blind to say something like that. I challenge that nerd to find a better game played this year.

31 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Haha wow. This is crazy. He's looking at something that happened right in front of us and saying it didn't happen. That is cult like.

I mean that's not really what he's saying, he basically saying that it's an aberration or since it was against the Jets and Dolphins it doesn't count. I mean he's still wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

You do you.....but this is laughable

If your doing this for Allen then your doing this for every QB in the league I presume?

Of course you'd do it for every QB in the league. You'd do it for every player in the league. You should be evaluating everything in your life that way. They don't call it the process for no reason. The end result matters but so does everything leading up to it. 

Edited by VW82

13 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Of course you'd do it for every QB in the league. You'd do it for every player in the league. You should be evaluating everything in your life that way. They don't call it the process for no reason. The end result matters but so does everything leading up to it. 

Whats your opinion on Drew Brees?  Watching the game?

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Whats your opinion on Drew Brees?  Watching the game?

I just sat down to watch the second half. Didn't get to see much of the first as I was busy making supper for my daughter. I'll let you know after the game. 

Edit: wasn't very impressive but penalties and TOP killed them 

Edited by VW82

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What if the person assigned to grade your SAT happens to have an inherent bias against you?  Like maybe their pre-dra...err pre-SAT predictions had you tabbed to be the worst...student...of all time and they don't want to admit they were wrong?

You don't think there would at least be some level of subconscious bias to grade you a bit more harshly on each question?

10 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

What if the person assigned to grade your SAT happens to have an inherent bias against you?  Like maybe their pre-dra...err pre-SAT predictions had you tabbed to be the worst...student...of all time and they don't want to admit they were wrong?

You don't think there would at least be some level of subconscious bias to grade you a bit more harshly on each question?

Hmm...so every person they hire to grade is expected to uphold the same anti-Allen bias?

Maybe it's as simple as their system doesn't like QBs who make mistakes (and Josh makes a lot of them) and undervalue the fact that Josh is a stud who does studly things on the football field. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1