Black Monday for NFL injuries

YoloinOhio

IMO the reason for so many injuries is lack of formal training camp and preseason.

Yes they had virtual ones where they had nutrition and training go over issues with players over video but not the same.

Lack of equipment during off season is also reason - having the best training equipment is why Bills invested in facilities.

I am sure NFLPA disagrees. They want preseason and training camps reduced as much as possible and they always have.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

More money at the cost of the players health. I make less but it is the same song and dance at my company as well. The we appreciate you speech with stay safe and oh by the way we are increasing your work load 30% and still want you to be safe.

Players workload over the summer were greatly reduced and it shows in tackling.

Facts do not match what you are saying.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

McCaffrey I believe is being held out in an attempt by Panthers to get to #1 overall

Unfortunately that already belongs to Jets

You think they move on from Darnold if they are picking #1? Or trade the pick for a kings ransom 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

You think they move on from Darnold if they are picking #1? Or trade for a kings ransom 

I think it depends entirely on what direction they go wrt Gase

If they cut him loose, then it will depend on whether the incoming staff likes Darnold or wants their own guy. If they keep Gase I imagine they trade out

No doubt months of so little contact impacted that.

I say "no doubt" but while I haven't followed the NHL playoffs for the very first time since I'm a teen, I have not heard of an injury galore. Has there been one? I thought they too would suffer a lot more injuries, going from being idle to all-out playoff hockey. But I haven't heard such.

Point is, it might coincidence but yeah, no preseason and so little contact in camp could be the culprit, of course.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think it depends entirely on what direction they go wrt Gase

If they cut him loose, then it will depend on whether the incoming staff likes Darnold or wants their own guy. If they keep Gase I imagine they trade out

He’s not really Gase’s guy either, so possibly it won’t matter 

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Saquon Barkley, Nick Bosa, Solomon Thomas, Courtland Sutton, out for year with torn ACLs

I can't remember a weekend when four names that big went down for the season.   Each one of those guys is a big-time contributor to his team.   

We all love watching this game, and I'm regularly reminded that what we're watching is a stylized version of war.  Boxing and MMA are more directly violent, one on one, but football is like watching two armies in battle.  Part of what makes it similar to watching a battle is that the combatants actually are at risk.   Weekends like this make that risk all the more apparent.  

• Like (+1) 1

I never understood why the NFL does not mandate that all players wear knee braces. I know they say its speed and the ability to cut, but if all the players had braces it would be an equalizer.  Perhaps a more modified brace for the skilled positions. If they made it a mandate the technology would evolve.  

2 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

No doubt months of so little contact impacted that.

I say "no doubt" but while I haven't followed the NHL playoffs for the very first time since I'm a teen, I have not heard of an injury galore. Has there been one? I thought they too would suffer a lot more injuries, going from being idle to all-out playoff hockey. But I haven't heard such.

THe hamstrin

Point is, it might coincidence but yeah, no preseason and so little contact in camp could be the culprit, of course.

I think you're correct, particularly the ACLs.  There is very little training that anyone can do to help avoid ACLs, and what can be done is primarily strength conditioning, which can be done anywhere, anytime.   Torn ACLs are about applying just the right amount of stress at just the right angle.  It's a combination of events that you can't train for or prepare for.   A lot of torn ACLs are non-contact injuries.  

This weekend was just a bad weekend.  

The hamstrings, shoulders, other stuff may be more directly related to this year's training regimens.  

• Like (+1) 5