New England Is Still The Team To Beat in AFC East (For Now)

Like A Mofo

Before beginning I want to say, I am THRILLED over the moon at what we are seeing from Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs, the offense in general and at times the defense. What we COULD see here can potentially be VERY special for the next few years.

Having said this...

New England showed me last night by coming razor close to winning in Seattle that this is still a team we have to contend with. Newton looks different under a top coaching staff. Defense yes has holes but we all know Bill generally figures things out for his defense as things go along.

Talent is huge in sports as we know, but so is the mental aspect, and I still believe deep down inside New England Patriots, despite losing Brady, Gronk and other starters, still have a mental edge over the Buffalo Bills organization, until proven otherwise.

McDermott and the coaching staff have been excellent, but have had mixed results against the upper tier coaches in the NFL at least for now. Especially against Belichick. While last year we proved that we are very close to knocking through that door and taking command of the AFC East,  and I am FULLY confident the Bills can get over that hurdle, I am still taking this mindset until we truly knock them off, New England is the team to beat.

• Like (+1) 8

Until we win the Divsion I agree with what you're saying. Pats and Bills are now very evenly matched. I think we have the upper edge talent wise now but coaching is a big difference that goes to the Pats.  So lame that the Pats go from Brady to Cam magically and it took the Bills basically 20 yrs to find a damn QB. 

It will be an interesting year. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 8

4 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Before beginning I want to say, I am THRILLED over the moon at what we are seeing from Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs, the offense in general and at times the defense. What we COULD see here can potentially be VERY special for the next few years.

Having said this...

New England showed me last night by coming razor close to winning in Seattle that this is still a team we have to contend with. Newton looks different under a top coaching staff. Defense yes has holes but we all know Bill generally figures things out for his defense as things go along.

Talent is huge in sports as we know, but so is the mental aspect, and I still believe deep down inside New England Patriots, despite losing Brady, Gronk and other starters, still have a mental edge over the Buffalo Bills organization, until proven otherwise.

McDermott and the coaching staff have been excellent, but have had mixed results against the upper tier coaches in the NFL at least for now. Especially against Belichick. While last year we proved that we are very close to knocking through that door and taking command of the AFC East,  and I am FULLY confident the Bills can get over that hurdle, I am still taking this mindset until we truly knock them off, New England is the team to beat.

Seattle's D has not looked good the first 2 games of the season.  Gifting a pick 6 to start didn't help either.

If this is the Seattle team going forward Bills have an even chance to beat them.

The good thing concerning the Pats* is there will be a lot of tape on their offense by the time the Bills play them.

• Like (+1) 2

I hear what you are saying OP. I don’t think you are wrong about certain mental aspects of NE for Buffalo and this coaching staff. I do like our chances with Cam playing QB. On many levels our staff knows Cam inside and out. I like their chances of confusing him. I also think Cam isn’t where he once was physically, and I am not sure he will ever get back there.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I hear what you are saying OP. I don’t think you are wrong about certain mental aspects of NE for Buffalo and this coaching staff. I do like our chances with Cam playing QB. On many levels our staff knows Cam inside and out. I like their chances of confusing him. I also think Cam isn’t where he once was physically, and I am not sure he will ever get back there.  

I never liked Cam. I think he's an egotistical butthole and crybaby to boot. But I can admit he did play very well last night. Seattle's offense is down right scary but their D is nothing special anymore. Cam did to them what Fitz did to us, attacked the soft middle. If we're at full strength when we play Cam will have a harder time moving their offense. 

It’s their division until we take it, or beat them in the playoffs when it really matters. 
Watching the game last night I’m not sure New England survives the season. 
Cam taking hits left and right, Edelman looking battered and bruised 2 games in, no tight end threat, no actual run game. They’re playing decent football I just don’t think it’s sustainable. We might not sustain offensive juggernaut status but we should stay consistently good throughout the season

• Like (+1) 1

Just for the purposes of evaluating the Pats* v. Hawks game, subtract 7 points from the Pats*. That first defensive TD was a gift.

That being said, it's the Pats* D that is much more of a concern than Cam Newton. The Hawks D-- especially at the goal line-- looked almost anemic at times. Newton just strolled into the end zone at one point. We can (and have) put up a better stand than that, to be sure.

11 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Cam looked good last night. I was surprised to see he had almost 400 yards last night.

If I was the Pats**************** I'd worry about all the shots he takes. Its working now, but hes 31 coming off a few seasons with multiple injuries and ending up on IR.

I could be wrong, I often am....but IMHO the Seattle defense is soft as a pillow especially against the pass.  The Legion of Boom is long disbanded.

I think we faced a better D yesterday in Miami, better coached certainly.  Not a fan of Ken Norton, Jr here.

Seattle after 2 games is last in the league for 1st downs given up, and last in the league for pass yardage.  Bottom 3rd (22nd) for points.  Stingy run D, but also gave up >400 yds passing to Atlanta.  Yeah, it's only 2 games, but that's pretty much where they were last year as well.

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Seattle's D has not looked good the first 2 games of the season.  Gifting a pick 6 to start didn't help either.

This was my sense last night as well. They were unable to generate much pressure, and it felt like much of Cam's incompletions more more about bad throws than good defense. I was surprised because I genuinely thought Seattle had a better D than what I watched. 

On the hand, the strength of the Pats* defense is supposed to be the corners, and they got exposed for 5TD passes last night.

What the BIlls can't do is have yesterday's defense show up against either NE* or Seattle.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Cam is finally healthy. Belichick is still Belichick. Even with all of the opt outs this year they still have a good team. Until we beat them during the regular season and actually win the division then they are the team to beat. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

This was my sense last night as well. They were unable to generate much pressure, and it felt like much of Cam's incompletions more more about bad throws than good defense. I was surprised because I genuinely thought Seattle had a better D than what I watched. 

On the hand, the strength of the Pats* defense is supposed to be the corners, and they got exposed for 5TD passes last night.

What the BIlls can't do is have yesterday's defense show up against either NE* or Seattle.

Seattle's pass D gave up 831 yards in 2 games.  Worse in the NFL.

NFC West is tough but all are beatable.  Interesting games coming up.