Daboll's lack of designed runs for Allen this week...

LabattBlue

Nope. Week one had the Phins on alert for it and likely they overplayed it allowing for other opportunities. I think week one was all about giving teams something to worry about with Josh running - because they should worry about it. Thought I'd see him take off near the goal line but liked what he did instead!

• Like (+1) 10

Daboll or Allen or someone specifically said they featured the QB runs so much against the Jets because they saw that they struggled with it big time last year. I don't think it necessarily means they want to lean on it every week, but it's something Allen does very well and it's something that the opponent doesn't handle very well so we took advantage.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Nope. Week one had the Phins on alert for it and likely they overplayed it allowing for other opportunities. I think week one was all about giving teams something to worry about with Josh running - because they should worry about it. Thought I'd see him take off near the goal line but liked what he did instead!

^This

Daboll's gameplan is that what is done one week sets it up for the next - we ran a lot of RPO/script runs to Josh because the Ravens tore the Jets a new one with it. Dolphins were gouged by 11-personnel so Daboll relied on that, but the week 1 runs were to get tape out on Josh running this year so it's just another thing teams still need to prepare for.

Tell you what though, if he keeps passing like this defenses are going to hate prepping for his arm and legs every down.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Anyone else think that McD stepped in during the week, and told Daboll to knock it off with the play calls for Allen to run the ball, before he gets injured?

There were only like 3 or 4 designed runs for the QB last week. The rest were either scrambles or read options. This week there was 1 or 2 designed runs. I'm not sure how many read options. There weren't many scrambles.

So really not much different design wise. Allen did slide early on a designed run when he could've tried for 5 more yards, but then later he ran over 2 guys and fumbled but the whistle blew. He needs to stop taking on defenders unless it's like a must get 1st down. That's on Allen, not Daboll

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

I think it was just the game plan. The Dolphins had to spend a lot of time preparing for it only for that preparation to be useless because the Bills did not call it.

It's always in the bag and defenses will have to prepare for it.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There were only like 3 or 4 designed runs for the QB last week. The rest were either scrambles or read options. This week there was 1 or 2 designed runs. I'm not sure how many read options. There weren't many scrambles.

So really not much different design wise. Allen did slide early on a designed run when he could've tried for 5 more yards, but then later he ran over 2 guys and fumbled but the whistle blew. He needs to stop taking on defenders unless it's like a must get 1st down. That's on Allen, not Daboll

Allen only ran it twice this week. I believe both were scrambles. The other two on the stat sheet were kneel downs at the end of the game.

Allen did "fumble" but it was well after the whistle and he made no attempt to recover, instead choosing to complain to the refs about the inadvertent whistle. Not sure if he would have actually fumbled had the play not been called dead. The world will never know.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Allen only ran it twice this week. I believe both were scrambles. The other two on the stat sheet were kneel downs at the end of the game.

Allen did "fumble" but it was well after the whistle and he made no attempt to recover, instead choosing to complain to the refs about the inadvertent whistle. Not sure if he would have actually fumbled had the play not been called dead. The world will never know.

There was at least 1 QB draw early. But the read option is a huge part of our offense and will continue to be. Allen has to make smart decisions. 

30 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Anyone else think that McD stepped in during the week, and told Daboll to knock it off with the play calls for Allen to run the ball, before he gets injured?

Not only injured, lose what should have been a victory.

Fumbles lose football games.

35 minutes ago, Figster said:

Not only injured, lose what should have been a victory.

Fumbles lose football games.

QB's are injured far less on designed runs (injuries per plays called) than on sacks, scrambles, and knockdowns. It's like 1 in every 200 plays called. Sacks and scrambles are like 1 in 90. Knockdowns are like 1 in 70.

So actually the safest thing a QB can do is a designed run. But yeah, turnovers are bad.

• Like (+1) 1

Fins had a LB spying on Allen all game, so running was less of an option. But the Bills were fine with that, because it left one less person back in coverage, and Allen picked them apart because of it.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

When he is passing the football like that he doesn’t need to run. Sure take off and pick up a 1st down if they give it to you but don’t take unnecessary hits.

The gameplan week 1 was to hit the edges of the Jets defense with read options, because that's where they were vulnerable.

Week 2, the Bills attacked the Dolphins man coverage with deep crossing patterns, which kept Allen in the pocket.

Week 3 could see a gameplan similar to the Jets plan, moving Donald sideline to sideline.