Third Quarter Anemic Offense (Getting Better Every Week)

Gugny

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game

Another 3Q goose egg last night.

Now sitting at 31st in the league with an average of 1.4 points per 3Q.  Only the Giants are worse ... with zero.

We had one possession with a strong drive that ended with a turnover. 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's on the defense for not being able to get off the field.

It's on McDermott.  It's been 3+ years of the same crap and he is the common denominator.

On 9/21/2020 at 12:13 PM, Gugny said:

I've always felt concerned about the (to me) apparent lack of 3rd quarter scoring we see out of the Bills.  After looking it up (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game?date=2020-09-21), I feel that my concern is warranted:

• 2018:  23rd in the NFL, averaging 3.9 points
  • 2019:  26th, averaging 3.4 points
  • 2020:  31st, with a goose egg through two weeks

This is not me complaining about Daboll.  I've actually been happy with him so far this season (although, I'm still pissed about the playoff loss, but I digress).

The team under this current coaching staff has always just seemed flat (offensively) coming out of halftime.

I'm interested to see how others feel about this topic and possibly gain a better understanding of why this seems to be a trend.

Completely agree and am concerned too. That what I mentioned in my thread ‘are we a top team’. McDermott has been a great coach but there is no countering when the other teams always seem to make the second half adjustments against us

27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So if the Bills had a long drive that used up most of the 3rd Q and finally punched it in at the start of the 4th, that's a failure too?

It would be a continuation of this disturbing trend, yes.

• Haha (+1) 1

consistently sucking azz in the 3rd quarter is a coaching issue.  we seem to script up solid plans on O to start the game, going back to the houston playoff game, but once the smoke and mirrors wear off we revert to a low mean.

on D, aside from injuries it just seems like the scheme is too predictable.  there is a game of rock paper scissors in every down, and we just can't seem to win it consistently, especially in the 3rd quarter.

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Three points tonight.

Is anyone else making excuses or are we going to see this for what it is?  Halftime is a problem in the McDermott era. 

Yup. Was obvious last year, and just as glaring this year.

Even worse is when you know the opponent will come out making the appropriate adjustments, and the Bills will take the quarter off.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/21/2020 at 12:13 PM, Gugny said:

I've always felt concerned about the (to me) apparent lack of 3rd quarter scoring we see out of the Bills.  After looking it up (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game?date=2020-09-21), I feel that my concern is warranted:

• 2018:  23rd in the NFL, averaging 3.9 points
  • 2019:  26th, averaging 3.4 points
  • 2020:  31st, with a goose egg through two weeks

This is not me complaining about Daboll.  I've actually been happy with him so far this season (although, I'm still pissed about the playoff loss, but I digress).

The team under this current coaching staff has always just seemed flat (offensively) coming out of halftime.

I'm interested to see how others feel about this topic and possibly gain a better understanding of why this seems to be a trend.

I do sorta blame daboll because they seem to emphasize ball control and the run coming out of halftime. It never works. Let it rip with this unit.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I do sorta blame daboll because they seem to emphasize ball control and the run coming out of halftime. It never works. Let it rip with this unit.

In many games, I absolutely agree with you.  But as I pay closer attention, it's really on both sides of the ball.  It's very disturbing and leads to losses against decent teams.

After scoring 6 3Q points against the stingy Jets defense on Sunday, the Buffalo Bills stand at 31st in the league with an average of 1.9 3Q points; the only team worse is Chicago (average of 1).

They did seem to make adjustments on both sides of the ball, which was nice to see.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game?date=2020-10-27

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Gugny said:

All of you fine people who scoff at this thread, we had a 23-9 lead in the third quarter.

Arizona 17-9 in the third quarter.  

THIS IS A REAL PROBLEM.

Anyone who scoffed at this thread hasn't been paying attention the last 2 years. 

Even if you just casually pay attention to the games & never see a single stat, it's plainly obvious we look awful in the 3rd quarter nearly every game.

Doesn't help that they tend to carry over part of that into the 4th quite often, it's just that we usually find a way to snap out of it by the end.

• Thank you (+1) 2