Third Quarter Anemic Offense (Getting Better Every Week)

Gugny

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've always felt concerned about the (to me) apparent lack of 3rd quarter scoring we see out of the Bills.  After looking it up (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game?date=2020-09-21), I feel that my concern is warranted:

• 2018:  23rd in the NFL, averaging 3.9 points
  • 2019:  26th, averaging 3.4 points
  • 2020:  31st, with a goose egg through two weeks

This is not me complaining about Daboll.  I've actually been happy with him so far this season (although, I'm still pissed about the playoff loss, but I digress).

The team under this current coaching staff has always just seemed flat (offensively) coming out of halftime.

I'm interested to see how others feel about this topic and possibly gain a better understanding of why this seems to be a trend.

Agree with it being an issue, but no idea why.   They have often been ahead at the half, last season with their weak offense, it made sense to some level to be conservative and protect the lead, but the problem then often was the lead wasn't that large to not often allow the other team back into the game.  This season based on two games not a need for them to be conservative and can't say they have been. 

Yesterday as pointed out they only ran was it 8 plays, two drives ended on a incomplete passes, one I think was the ball Diggs juggled about 5 times before dropping, admittedly not a perfectly thrown pass.  It's not like last year where they'd run Gore into the center of the line 3 times and say gee why didn't that work.  Those same type of plays always seem to work in the other 3 quarters, so why not then?  Maybe the issue is on JA loses concentration just a bit and the passes are just slightly off compared to earlier and that makes the difference. 

Defensively they seem to be somewhat in a bend but don't break mode, if so could blame that on coaching.  But hard to blame coaches if offensively they are running the same types of plays, but they just don't work then.

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Our 3rd Quarters arent just an Offensive problem. They are a Team problem that goes all the way up to McDermott.

It's the one major problem left in his coaching.

I dont know what they do to fix it since I dont know wtf is going on in the locker room at halftime. But it definitely needs to change.

True. The 3rd quarter, especially the opening  minutes thereof is one of the most important parts of the game. That time in the game can be a tone setter, momentum

changer and can shift the whole game in your favor.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've always felt concerned about the (to me) apparent lack of 3rd quarter scoring we see out of the Bills.  After looking it up (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game?date=2020-09-21), I feel that my concern is warranted:

This is not me complaining about Daboll.  I've actually been happy with him so far this season (although, I'm still pissed about the playoff loss, but I digress).

The team under this current coaching staff has always just seemed flat (offensively) coming out of halftime.

I'm interested to see how others feel about this topic and possibly gain a better understanding of why this seems to be a trend.

I'm not too concerned as we have had the lead at the half both games.

-Probably not many adjustment made due to that.

-Our 4th quarter scoring is 13th So adjustments are being made after that.

- We are 7th in Scoring and no garbage time points.

I have more concerns with our D after the half.  Not huge concerns tho.

Going back to the Houston game I have my concerns as to how well Frazier adjust.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

To me, it's more about playing all four quarters.

Many of our close wins should not have been close.  Including yesterday.

oh I get it.  

it would be nice but as of now I’m not overly worried.  

So far so good. 

I said it elsewhere. In division games are typically always close.  

you might win BIG in the first game and lose BIG in the second game. 

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when this team played one decent quarter of football.

I will gladly take the trade for  three good ones ;)

On 9/21/2020 at 12:13 PM, Gugny said:

Maybe they are eating too much at half time ;)

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I remember when this team played one decent quarter of football.

I will gladly take the trade for  three good ones ;)

Maybe they are eating too much at half time ;)

Oh, I am enjoying the season, don't get me wrong!  These games are closer than they should be, though.  I'm losing years every effin' Sunday!

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

Oh, I am enjoying the season, don't get me wrong!  These games are closer than they should be, though.  I'm losing years every effin' Sunday!

Remember the old saying " what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" ;) 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

After practically scoring at will for much of the first half, the Bills put up zero points in the 3Q against the Raiders.

28th in the league.  https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game?date=2020-10-05

I agree the Bills are having troubles in the 3rd Quarter.

But technically, they only had the ball twice yesterday in the 3rd.  And if not for the refs calling John Brown down at the 1-yard-line, we would have had a touchdown on the last play.  Instead, we had a touchdown on the first play of the 4th.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

But technically, they only had the ball twice yesterday in the 3rd.  And if not for the refs calling John Brown down at the 1-yard-line, we would have had a touchdown on the last play.  Instead, we had a touchdown on the first play of the 4th.

It was also nice to see the D hold LA to 3 points in the third.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

After practically scoring at will for much of the first half, the Bills put up zero points in the 3Q against the Raiders.

28th in the league.  https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game?date=2020-10-05

In their defense about yesterday, they did score in the 3rd quarter, but Al Riveron is a moron. So they scored on the very first play of the 4th quarter... but they had driven down to the 1/2 yard-line. It's not like they were completely inept. The TD just occurred (after that BS review) on the first play of the 4th.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

At this point, with the amount of years they take off my life every Sunday, I should have been dead ten years ago.......

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I agree with your original post. We need to better in third quarter. I believe last week they scored a TD in third quarter. This week they had two drives in the third quarter. One was a 9 play drive with a punt. The other leaked into the fourth quarter and scored a TD. Hard to do much else when you only have it twice and scored on one of em. 

Edited by Scott7975

On 9/21/2020 at 9:13 AM, Gugny said:

It's like they use the 3rd Qtr to rest on their 1st half lead. This is 100% coaching. Why do you think Belichick works so hard to have the last possession of the 1st half followed by the ball to start the 3rd. We've lost the flip against the Rams & Raiders. We have to find a way of winning the TOP in the 3rd and have it coincide with our D shutting out the opponent in the 3rd. This 3rd qtr malaise is getting old.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's like they use the 3rd Qtr to rest on their 1st half lead. This is 100% coaching. Why do you think Belichick works so hard to have the last possession of the 1st half followed by the ball to start the 3rd. We've lost the flip against the Rams & Raiders. We have to find a way of winning the TOP in the 3rd and have it coincide with our D shutting out the opponent in the 3rd. This 3rd qtr malaise is getting old.

Part of me wonders if the problem is something like this:

1.  The Bills come out with a strong gameplan, and build a decent lead in the first half.

2.  The opponent adjusts at halftime.  Since the Bills are winning, they decide to keep things relatively the same.

3.  Due to the adjustments, the offense suddenly looks flat and the defense lets up a score or two.

4.  The Bills coaches make their own adjustments going into the 4th quarter, causing us to finish strong.

The fact that we have won 14 of our last 21 games, tells me our coaching strategy/style is ultimately working out.  The problem is that games which shouldn't be close, end up coming down to an onside kick.  I think the best cure for this, is to build a bigger lead in the first half.  

8 hours ago, mjt328 said:

This has actually happened several times they let the other team hang on to the ball all 3rd quarter. Not as sure about this game kind of felt like Josh was working back from his injury.

On 9/21/2020 at 12:13 PM, Gugny said:

Seems like we always kick off to start the 2nd half and give up a ridiculously long drive this year which limits the offenses chances

• Like (+1) 1