Third Quarter Anemic Offense (Getting Better Every Week)

Gugny

Half time adjustments I think will get better over time in my humble opinion. When you have a young developing QB scripted play calling is going to help them achieve success until the opposition DC makes half time adjustments. Older veteran QB's on the other hand adjust better to what the opposing DC throws at them coming out after halftime with more of a been there done that mentality.

I think as Allen and Daboll evolve over time 2nd half adjustments will become more evident and effective in my humble opinion Gu.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the anemic play in the third quarter is related to the team meal at halftime.

They are eating chicken wings, pizza, and cheeseburgers all through the break and I think it is hitting them hard in the third quarter.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've always felt concerned about the (to me) apparent lack of 3rd quarter scoring we see out of the Bills.  After looking it up (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game?date=2020-09-21), I feel that my concern is warranted:

• 2018:  23rd in the NFL, averaging 3.9 points
  • 2019:  26th, averaging 3.4 points
  • 2020:  31st, with a goose egg through two weeks

This is not me complaining about Daboll.  I've actually been happy with him so far this season (although, I'm still pissed about the playoff loss, but I digress).

The team under this current coaching staff has always just seemed flat (offensively) coming out of halftime.

I'm interested to see how others feel about this topic and possibly gain a better understanding of why this seems to be a trend.

How can we be 31st if we haven’t scored any points this season? What team has scored negative points?

I agree it's been a concern in previous years.  This year, in Week 1 against the Jets we had 2 missed FGs in the 3rd quarter.   And as others have pointed out, yesterday there were two 3rd down incompletions to Diggs that normally would be converted. Missing throws and kicks that you normally make can at least partially be chalked up to a lack of mental focus, so I put a lot of it on McD to have his team more focused coming out of the locker room at halftime. 

I agree with both the OP and the opposing views: it is a concern and let’s see what’s happened to remedy it beyond two games before we get our panties in a wad. 

This has 100% been the MO since McD arrived and he needs to solve it. With that being said, perhaps he already has and the process to solve it simply hasn’t rooted yet as this was such a weird offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Our 3rd Quarters arent just an Offensive problem. They are a Team problem that goes all the way up to McDermott.

It's the one major problem left in his coaching.

I dont know what they do to fix it since I dont know wtf is going on in the locker room at halftime. But it definitely needs to change.

If I were more talented on this site, as to the issue going on, I'd have posted the infamous picture of Peter Pan!

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

With all due respect, Hondo, it was a clear trend through the two previous seasons and we've begun this season and two weeks in, the trend is not trending upward.  I don't know how it's premature to raise a red flag.  

It's a legitimate concern. As much as I'm thrilled with how they've looked overall through 2 games and as much as I hate to tip my hat to the Pats***, one of their hallmarks has been the ability to win going away by scoring to end the half and then scoring to start the third and completely change the complexion of a game. The fact that the Bills have developed a tendency to kill their own momentum to start the third the last few seasons is what has kept bad teams in close games and what has made it hard to beat good teams despite often dominating for 3Q.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Our 3rd Quarters arent just an Offensive problem. They are a Team problem that goes all the way up to McDermott.

It's the one major problem left in his coaching.

I dont know what they do to fix it since I dont know wtf is going on in the locker room at halftime. But it definitely needs to change.

Is it because the OTHER team is also making half time adjustments??

This was a huge concern over & over again last year as many lamented the conservative nature of the coaching almost every third quarter last year.

It was the continual "Play for a 17-13" win mentality that we questioned McD about.

Hope this is a two game blip. 

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

Is it because the OTHER team is also making half time adjustments??

But the Bills lose that game weekly....

18 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

It’s all about the 4th Quarter

And the Bills produced when it mattered 

To me, it's more about playing all four quarters.

Many of our close wins should not have been close.  Including yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cantankeous said:

Wow.😲

As someone else is fond of saying, you’re a rabble-rouser @Gugny!

Who’s This dude?😳

There’s no arguing how inept the Bills offense plays in the 3rd quarter. Has been since McDermott became HC. But yesterday was a bit of a different story. Jets got the ball 1st to start the half. 2 plays in, we had a 40 minute lightning delay. When play resumed, so did Fitz’s gamesmanship, ending with a score. Then Josh was nearly picked on a 3rd & short from deep in our end. Next, we started at our 1 and conservative play forced a punt, before the 4th quarter fireworks erupted. I likened it to SB XXV, where Giants long, time consuming drive just before the half, followed by an extremely long halftime, followed by another long, time consuming drive by the G-men had Kelly doing stretching exercises and playing catch on the sideline. Then he got going again. 

Basically, I have no clue why our current team seems drowsy from halftime. At least it’s helping Allen create an impressive 4th Qtr comeback legacy.🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

To me, it's more about playing all four quarters.

Many of our close wins should not have been close.  Including yesterday.

I agree with you.  Jets are a bottom 3 team, league wide, and the Fish are middle of the pack.   The mistakes didn't hurt us against them.  How things play out against much better teams remains to be seen.

I am very anxious to see what we look like against the Rams, and then the Chiefs and Patriots, where mistakes can't be tolerated as easily and we're actually playing playoff caliber talent.

So far, so good though! 

The problem wasn't that the offense was flat in the third quarter.  The problem was that the defense was flat in the third quarter, and couldn't get off the field.  The offense missed a couple of easy 3rd downs or it would have done much better.  The defense got hurt over and over. 

15 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The problem wasn't that the offense was flat in the third quarter.  The problem was that the defense was flat in the third quarter, and couldn't get off the field.  The offense missed a couple of easy 3rd downs or it would have done much better.  The defense got hurt over and over. 

Offense or Defense (though last year it seemed more O related), that still is a coaching issue.