Anybody surprised at the lack of running thus far?

DCofNC

7 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I agree with your analysis.

Moss has only played two games, so it might be a bit much to expect him to be at the same level as other NFL RB's.

I will say that I am surprised by how good he has looked as a receiver. I wasn't expecting that.

His blocking has been good so far also.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I really thought the Bills would be running more early in the year, 2 young backs, a lot of good run blockers on the line, yet it’s been a lot more passing.  Obviously, it’s been working for the most part.  It looked like Miami could not stop the run yesterday, yet they went away from it.  Allen obviously had a good day, so no complaints on the end result.  Both Singletary and Moss were averaging about 5 per carry (Singletary’s average was way more legit consistency).  I am a little surprised this has been the trend so far.  It’s not like the Phins really lined up and told Josh to beat them.  The Jets have a good run D and they tried more there.  What do you expect to see going forward?

Not really. I think we were talking last year about how we need to run the ball more. At this point Daboll has shown that he’s going to give the ball to Josh win or lose. 
When we do run tho I’d love to see more motor. He always seems to find a hole 

8 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Those are all fine points but have you watched Singletary? The kid is special and if you’re not willing to see that, that’s fine. He is a special RB, though. 

In fact he has already had some incredible plays this year. 

Bills coaches seem to disagree with you. Neither last year or this year have the coaches used him extensively. 

22 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

It surprises me people feel this way.

The book on josh was he couldn't pass so defenses played to stop the run and dare us to pass.

As his passing continues - if they show they can keep this up - defenses will play more honest and running will open up.

yeppers!!

Go Bills

Somewhat, as I was thinking with Moss and Motor that the Bills would work that run game more than they have so far. 

The Bills have played two bad teams with not much of a pass rush on either team. That should change against the next four opponents Rams, @ Raiders, @ Titans, Chiefs. Then @ Jets, Patriots, Seahawks, @ Cardinals. 

The Bills will need to get that run game working at some point. I suspect it will gear up this week against the Rams. 

The ball needs to be in Josh Allen's hands for the Bills to be a SB Champion.

The Bills running game will always be fine as long as McDermott is the HC.

The Bills ran 23 times for 111 yards against Miami and Allen had only 18 yards of it, on 4 attempts. 

The Bills drafted Allen because he is one of only a few QB's who can throw through the harsh WYN from late October on.

Point is, it's Allen or bust......... with a complementary running game. Pretty simple.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m surprised by the way they are splitting carries. At the end of last season I thought Singletary has proven he can handle a pretty decent load. At the same time our offense seemed to do its best when he was on the field. Not sure Moss has proven anything at all at this point. Sure Singletary is getting a few more carries but I think the fairly even split isn’t really getting him in a groove. 

• Like (+1) 1

In the first game, the Jets had a strong run defense.  It was a matter of hurting the Jets where they were more vulnerable.  In the Miami game, the run game worked just fine, but Josh Allen was on fire.  You can only run so many plays.  The success of the passing game is going to force defensive coordinators to overplay the pass, and that will open up the run game even as it becomes a bit more difficult to pass.  It's the way the league works.  It's up to Daboll to anticipate the defenses Buffalo is going to face and game plan accordingly.  Fortunately Daboll is a smart and creative guy.

Edited by TigerJ

29 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

In the first game, the Jets had a strong run defense.  It was a matter of hurting the Jets where they were more vulnerable.  In the Miami game, the run game worked just fine, but Josh Allen was on fire.  You can only run so many plays.  The success of the passing game is going to force defensive coordinators to overplay the pass, and that will open up the run game even as it becomes a bit more difficult to pass.  It's the way the league works.  It's up to Daboll to anticipate the defenses Buffalo is going to face and game plan accordingly.  Fortunately Daboll is a smart and creative guy.

Yup.

Plus the running backs were 18 for 93 against Miami....better than 5 yards a carry, so no real concern coming off the tough Jets matchup.

God dammit.

For years we've whined and complained we can't pass the ball worth a crap. 

Now we a chucking it all over the place and people are complaining we can't run the ball. 

Some of you will never be happy!

• Like (+1) 2

With all the yards, scoring, 2-0  afc east wins...didnt concern myself with the running game.. furthermore, Daboll and the patriots  old offensive game plans could do a 180 and go double tight ends etc.....OC hasn't showed his cards vs jets and fish...play calls could be slow clock winding drives to keep rams off field.. also, Rams Defense other than AD their front 7 is average NFL talent. IMO Josh Allen could throw 45 times  for 500 yards this sunday .....yes, I did say it

On 9/21/2020 at 5:25 PM, Chaos said:

Bills coaches seem to disagree with you. Neither last year or this year have the coaches used him extensively. 

And it cost us the playoff game imo. Singletary is a stud and super undervalued on this board. Reliable, and "falls forward" like fred jackson. 

My concern on offense is currently limited to our tight ends.

Edited by NickelCity
  • Like (+1) 2