Anybody surprised at the lack of running thus far?

DCofNC

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Can't really argue with the results...   They ran just fine yesterday.  Singletary was over 5 ypc and Moss over 4 ypc.  

I've watched QB's like Mahomes and Watson use the running game as a simple change of pace for a couple years....  I'm glad we're taking that same stance with Allen.

They were change of pace yards.

No. The Bills best weapons are their receivers. The backs are complimentary. The best teams beat you to death throwing the ball and can run when they have to and need to. The Bills have joined the 21st century for which I am extremely grateful and happy.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

We should be a pass first team. The strength of our team is our Wr core coupled with the fact Josh running factor. I’d still like to get the screen game going, or Devin coming out of the backfield. it worked  pretty well in week one. Our running game if anything is more complimentary.

Josh seems to excel when he finds his rythym. Run, run and then need to throw I think kinda throws him off. Get him going then open up the run game.

This team should be passing to set up the run. I also think this team should feature Singletary more in the ground game. I think he is simply the more effective back, that's not a knock on Moss who should get a share of touches and carries but rookies are having a rough start all around the league.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I really thought the Bills would be running more early in the year, 2 young backs, a lot of good run blockers on the line, yet it’s been a lot more passing.  Obviously, it’s been working for the most part.  It looked like Miami could not stop the run yesterday, yet they went away from it.  Allen obviously had a good day, so no complaints on the end result.  Both Singletary and Moss were averaging about 5 per carry (Singletary’s average was way more legit consistency).  I am a little surprised this has been the trend so far.  It’s not like the Phins really lined up and told Josh to beat them.  The Jets have a good run D and they tried more there.  What do you expect to see going forward?

Kind of hard to run for 250 yards when you're passing for 400. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I really thought the Bills would be running more early in the year, 2 young backs, a lot of good run blockers on the line, yet it’s been a lot more passing.  Obviously, it’s been working for the most part.  It looked like Miami could not stop the run yesterday, yet they went away from it.  Allen obviously had a good day, so no complaints on the end result.  Both Singletary and Moss were averaging about 5 per carry (Singletary’s average was way more legit consistency).  I am a little surprised this has been the trend so far.  It’s not like the Phins really lined up and told Josh to beat them.  The Jets have a good run D and they tried more there.  What do you expect to see going forward?

Yesterday was pretty much 40/60 run/pass split.  Last week vs the Jets was 41/59 run/pass split, with most of the running provided by Josh Allen.

18 carries split between Moss and Motor for 93 yds, 4 carries for Josh (pretty sure 2 of those were the kneeldowns at the end).

Jets have a better run defense: Moss and Motor still split 18 carries, but only contributed 41 yds.

I don't think there are a "lot of good run blockers on the line".  We haven't, IMO, had good run blocking since 2017.  I believe Daboll and Bobby Johnson think so too.  Evidence is that they were switching around the line some (unless that was due to unheralded injury) - see "Ford Benched" thread, which really seems like "Ford moved around on the line" thread.  I think they're experimenting to get more "push" with the run blocking.

I think yesterday may represent what Daboll wants to do this year, perhaps shifting to something like a 45/55 run/pass split, mostly runs by Motor and Moss. Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

I wasn't surprised the first game. The Jets strength on their defense is their front seven, I believe they ended up as one of the top teams in the league last year against the run. I was a bit surprised the second game because the Dolphins defense is stronger on the back end than they are up front. For those saying Singletary needs to develop ... didn't he average somewhere in the 5 yards per carry neighborhood last year ... what do you want him to develop into?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gen2 said:

I wasn't surprised the first game. The Jets strength on their defense is their front seven, I believe they ended up as one of the top teams in the league last year against the run. I was a bit surprised the second game because the Dolphins defense is stronger on the back end than they are up front. For those saying Singletary needs to develop ... didn't he average somewhere in the 5 yards per carry neighborhood last year ... what do you want him to develop into?  

Better pass pro, better playmaking in the passing game.

5 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

We should be a pass first team. The strength of our team is our Wr core coupled with the fact Josh running factor. I’d still like to get the screen game going, or Devin coming out of the backfield. it worked  pretty well in week one. Our running game if anything is more complimentary.

Josh seems to excel when he finds his rythym. Run, run and then need to throw I think kinda throws him off. Get him going then open up the run game.

It seems we can be a pass 1st offense.

The right side of the line is new. I feel strongly the running game will come as the season goes. Second half i would hope Daboll can call anything  to match up against defenses.

This offense is going to be very very good by years end if not sooner, and great time to peak is near the playoffs !!

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 2

Our OL actually seems to be better at pass blocking than run blocking now. Also, Passing 60% is pretty typical of a modern NFL offense. I know there are a few teams built around the Run, but they're in the minority. I think we have the right balance based on talent, though I would like to see our RBs more involved in the passing game.

We’re finally seeing a modern NFL offense where the run game compliments the passing game. The run game looked much improved in Miami from the previous week. I couldn’t ask for more from the offense at this point, especially the way Allen and Diggs are playing. We have more than enough talent with Singletary to maintain a run game that won’t hold us back. Moss has been a slight disappointment on that side of the ball though. He’s two games into his career, so we can’t judge who he is as a player yet, but I’m underwhelmed by what I’ve seen. He’s struggled reading his blockers, shows absolutely zero burst or quickness, and almost runs like Frank Gore late in his career. 

Edited by SirAndrew

Im starting to think that the last 2 game plans are a setup for this upcoming stretch. 

Week one lots of QB run and not much RB runs. 

Week 2 lots of passing.

Week 3 will be the week of the hand-offs.  

I would not be sleeping well if I were the Rams D-coordinator.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Looks more like he doesn't let blocks develop, poor vision. Way too early. I think he'll be fine.

I agree with your analysis.

Moss has only played two games, so it might be a bit much to expect him to be at the same level as other NFL RB's.

I will say that I am surprised by how good he has looked as a receiver. I wasn't expecting that.

• Like (+1) 1