Anybody surprised at the lack of running thus far?

DCofNC

I really thought the Bills would be running more early in the year, 2 young backs, a lot of good run blockers on the line, yet it’s been a lot more passing.  Obviously, it’s been working for the most part.  It looked like Miami could not stop the run yesterday, yet they went away from it.  Allen obviously had a good day, so no complaints on the end result.  Both Singletary and Moss were averaging about 5 per carry (Singletary’s average was way more legit consistency).  I am a little surprised this has been the trend so far.  It’s not like the Phins really lined up and told Josh to beat them.  The Jets have a good run D and they tried more there.  What do you expect to see going forward?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Chaos said:

I am surprised. But when I compare our RBs to the top 20 or so RBs in the league, I realized it is a huge weak spot on the team. So I am no longer suprised. 

Singletary ran extremely well yesterday. Not his fault he only got 10 carries. He bulldozed a LB at one point.

• Like (+1) 5

Can't really argue with the results...   They ran just fine yesterday.  Singletary was over 5 ypc and Moss over 4 ypc.  

I've watched QB's like Mahomes and Watson use the running game as a simple change of pace for a couple years....  I'm glad we're taking that same stance with Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 716er said:

Singletary ran extremely well yesterday. Not his fault he only got 10 carries. He bulldozed a LB at one point.

He is a functional RB. Definitely NFL level. No team in the NFL needs to modify their defensive game plan to account for Singletary.  Nor Moss.  From a team perspective that is not necessarily a bad thing.  NFL teams don't worry too much about the Patriots, Seahawks, Green Bay or Baltimore running backs.   Teams that rely on their running attacks much more than the Bills are right now, generally have RBs that are teams need to specifically worry about. Singletary/Moss are very generic NFL RBs.  

Also it is far easier to have a high yard per carry on ten carries than it is on 20 or 25, generally speaking.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

He is a functional RB. Definitely NFL level. No team in the NFL needs to modify their defensive game plan to account for Singletary.  Nor Moss.  From a team perspective that is not necessarily a bad thing.  NFL teams don't worry too much about the Patriots, Seahawks, Green Bay or Baltimore running backs.   Teams that rely on their running attacks much more than the Bills are right now, generally have RBs that are teams need to specifically worry about. Singletary/Moss are very generic NFL RBs.  

Also it is far easier to have a high yard per carry on ten carries than it is on 20 or 25, generally speaking.   

Those are all fine points but have you watched Singletary? The kid is special and if you’re not willing to see that, that’s fine. He is a special RB, though. 

In fact he has already had some incredible plays this year. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

Those are all fine points but have you watched Singletary? The kid is special and if you’re not willing to see that, that’s fine. He is a special RB, though. 

In fact he has already had some incredible plays this year. 

He is absolutely a stud. Check out his highlights from last season. I definitely say some Barry Sanders-esque moves from him. Not saying he’s a future hall of Famer or anything but he’s exciting to watch 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I am surprised. But when I compare our RBs to the top 20 or so RBs in the league, I realized it is a huge weak spot on the team. So I am no longer suprised. 

Patience, grasshopper. 

Just wait till the winter comes, and you'll see (if we're healthy) that our RB's, short passing game, and D will all be super-valuable. Let's win through the air for now. The confidence that Josh must have, and must be giving the team right now, has to be outstanding.

• Like (+1) 3

We're going to need a good ground game against some of the quality teams we're going to see this year - particularly the Pats.  BB is going to pull that cover zero and blitz Josh from a dozen different angles, which has been effective against Josh. He won't have forever and day to pass like he did the last two weeks. Constant pressure makes any QB look ordinary ( as we've seen with Brady) so I'd like to see Motor get going. In the meanwhile, watching JA sling the rock and dropping dimes as has been uber satisfying. Can't say enough about Diggs. Wow. 

At some point in the season we will need to lean on the running game. Allen will still be passing it 30 times a game but the RB’s will get more involved as the season wears on. I think they should stay with this passing attack and get the RB’s more involved in the passing game. Allen is red hot right now passing the football, keep passing it until Allen’s arm falls off.

When Daboll was in New England, he was helping to coach one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history.  I gotta imagine that made an impression on him and helped shaped his coaching philosophy.

Belichick likes to attack whatever mismatches he sees, whether through the air or on the ground.  He also tries not to be predictable and show up with the game plan you expected from him.  

I think Daboll is emulating that approach.  

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Moss looks slow. I know he’s not a speed guy but I keep saying this dude has a lot runs like his feet are made of cinder blocks.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Looks more like he doesn't let blocks develop, poor vision. Way too early. I think he'll be fine.

I’m going to guess it’s more to do with adjusting to the league, remember, no preseason to see the difference.  Moss has enough speed and burst.  He was better this week than last, though he hasn’t really hit his stride yet.  I college he ran more like a Le’veon Bell, slow take off and then smash the hole, that could be what you are seeing in his slow take off.  If/when he adjusts it will be an asset.

• Like (+1) 1

Not really, the running game hasn't been successful the first two games. It started to get going in the second half a bit against the Fins so I am optimistic that it will get going. But overall Josh has just been that much more effective throwing the ball and it is what the playcalling is and should be leaning into. 

• Like (+1) 1

We should be a pass first team. The strength of our team is our Wr core coupled with the fact Josh running factor. I’d still like to get the screen game going, or Devin coming out of the backfield. it worked  pretty well in week one. Our running game if anything is more complimentary.

Josh seems to excel when he finds his rythym. Run, run and then need to throw I think kinda throws him off. Get him going then open up the run game.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we're just taking advantage of the odd off season and rustiness of defenses. Josh is feasting right now and they're giving teams a lot to prepare for. Two very different offenses week one and week 2.

Daboll is making specific game plans for the next opponent. When we face someone he wants to run on Motor will get more than 10 carries. Finally something in 2020 that I'm enjoying 😀

• Like (+1) 1