A Few Thoughts about the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

- The other thing we learned about Diggs in week 1 was how tough he is - time and time again shaking off huge hits and not even missing a snap.   We've also learned since TC his incredible drive to make himself and those around him better.  You hit a huge point as well his ability to snag balls out of the air that are anywhere near him - it makes such a huge difference.  How many years have we seen tough but catchable balls bounce of the hands of Bills receivers - and just have people b!tch and moan about QB accuracy when good NFL receivers all over the league make those catches regularly.  It is a revelation to have that weapon on the team now - it makes such a HUGE difference.  Clutch grabs throughout the game are the difference between winning and losing so many times

- If Milano/Edmunds can't go hopefully the D staff will have learned something from this game on how to scheme around who we have to put on the field until they get back

- Dodson had a string of plays where he was being shot out of a cannon all over the field - likely the Dolphins took notice and got him to overpursue and be out of position times after that.  I'm sure his head was spinning at times - hopefully if he has to keep playing he learned some things from this game

- Shout out to Davis - what an incredible catch.  Not ready to panic on Moss yet - but right now it looks like playing against real men is proving to be a big adjustment for him

- The NFL badly needs to revise the "blindside" block rule.  It is creating ridiculous situations like yesterday where a defender is literally running at (and looking at) an offensive player and the offensive player can't touch them?  It is ridiculous

- Josh definitely looks relaxed and in control.. There are lots of things that contribute to his progress to date, but think having Diggs and true confidence in WRs to make plays is such a huge thing.  One thing I've noticed even from the TC clips is he seems to throw more 3/4 almost sidearm sometimes now on his deep ball - not just footwork seems to me he's actually changed his motion on those throws.  The other thing that has really stuck out to me the first two weeks his the awareness in the pocket and escapability he's shown - he's been so effective in avoiding guys coming at him from all angles and still getting throws off

- I've been programed to never expect a blowout any week.  All the crap w/ the power, lightning, FitzMagic - so happy to just get out of there with a W

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Ahead of us to the tune of 524 yards allowed at 8.9 yards per play, including Allen's first 400 yard and 4 passing TD games.  I'll take being behind opposing defenses like that 7 days a week.

That win was directly responsible for getting me a girlfriend and engaged, good times.  Was a good way to never forget our anniversary. 

Good catch.  I meant to say their offense was ahead of our defense 

9 hours ago, Success said:

I will always love Fitz - even when he drives me crazy, like he did at times today.  He's been good for the league, in his own way.

And he gave me one of the best Buffalo wins of the drought, coming back against the Patriots. Really, the only meaningful win we had against them in years.  He was spectacular that day, as he can still be at times.

Great write-up.

I liken Fitz to the guy who plays in your local poker tournament who plays and calls every hand and bet. 

He has no inhibitions and is going to jolly well enjoy himself along the way. He'll win a few hands early doors, enjoy a drink and a giggle but eventually he get picked off by the better players but ultimately, won't win a penny. 

The other players love having him there and he's a good person but they also know he gives them a very good chance of doubling their chips. 

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Very good assessment.  Miami is better than people think and are well coached.  They have a ton of draft picks.

Not sure if you meant official reviews would have been overturned in the past because it was the Bills or how the NFL was implementing the reviews. If you meant they went with the call on the field because there was not indisputable evidence, I agree. That is how the rule and replay should be used. 

If you get Flores more talent, he's going to win.  He's a good coach.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I didn’t want to spent too much time talking about the Dolphins, but I also think Chan Gailey has evolved as an offensive coordinator.  His scheme was good yesterday and he mixed up a lot of his looks 

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:
9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He seems like it but other Patriot assistants have looked good early only to fail when they did not have Brady and Belichick. Still early. Only questionable move was the challenge on Diggs sideline catch. It cost him a timeout that could have been needed. If memory serves that was only second down so even if overturned would not have forced a punt.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I didn’t want to spent too much time talking about the Dolphins, but I also think Chan Gailey has evolved as an offensive coordinator.  His scheme was good yesterday and he mixed up a lot of his looks 

Retiring 3 times has been good for him.

• Haha (+1) 1

NIce job, VIrg.  Good stuff here.

I particularly liked you comment about the replays reviews.  I thought the Davis TD was fine - replay showed clear possession, and if the ball touched the ground, it certainly had nothing to do with the catch.  

Diggs' catch was, as you say, the kind of play that the review team has overthought in the past.  You can look at that replay all day trying to figure out if Diggs got possession before the first foot left the ground, I suppose eventually one might conclude that it did and the pass should have been incomplete.   But it was so close that the review team needs to stick with the call on the field and go back to the game, which is what they did.

Similarly, the deep ball against Tre White on the right sideline just short of the goal line.  I didn't hear a discussion of it during the broadcast, but the way that play was being called a couple years ago, that was an incomplete pass.  He got two feet in grounds, but the rule apparently says, and the NFL was interpreting strictly, that the receiver had to maintain possession through his collision with the ground.  On that play, the receiver had to go down to make the catch - he dragged his second foot, so he couldn't stay on his feet and run out of bounds, and when he hit the ground the ball came out.   Incomplete.  But as far as I'm concerned, that interpretation has always been wrong.  The guy caught the ball, no question, got two feet down, and that should be the end of it.  Completion.   Even though it was bad for the Bills, that's the way that play should be called.   Did I miss the NFL announcement that they've changed the way they're calling it?

In any case, I like how the review process seems to be working so far this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Very good assessment.  Miami is better than people think and are well coached.  They have a ton of draft picks.

Not sure if you meant official reviews would have been overturned in the past because it was the Bills or how the NFL was implementing the reviews. If you meant they went with the call on the field because there was not indisputable evidence, I agree. That is how the rule and replay should be used. 

Miami isn’t that good yet.  There have some very glaring lack of talent in some positions.  But they are gamers and Fitz had a Fitz game.  A win is a win and this offense looks so confident.  Great start.

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Miami isn’t that good yet.  There have some very glaring lack of talent in some positions.  But they are gamers and Fitz had a Fitz game.  A win is a win and this offense looks so confident.  Great start.

I think they are at where we were in year 2. If Tua gets in there this year and they hit on some picks, they will contend next year

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BritBill said:

I liken Fitz to the guy who plays in your local poker tournament who plays and calls every hand and bet. 

He has no inhibitions and is going to jolly well enjoy himself along the way. He'll win a few hands early doors, enjoy a drink and a giggle but eventually he get picked off by the better players but ultimately, won't win a penny. 

The other players love having him there and he's a good person but they also know he gives them a very good chance of doubling their chips. 

You forgot the part where he goes on a heater 2-3 times a year. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/21/2020 at 4:41 AM, CSBill said:

Thank You, Virgil. As always, a great job!

A few more thoughts from my view:

• Levi Wallace had one of those games he will have. I hope Josh Norman is able to get back soon, to at least see if he's an improvement.
  • I think it's time to feature Singletary more.
  • Question: When our LBs heal, will Dobson stay in the line-up? It seems to me he is a much more athletic option than Klein?
  • How can you not like Fitz, the ultimate gamer. And he seems to have his best days against the Bills.
  • I, like most on this board, want Knox to succeed. His reception for 37 yards and fumble all in on the same play epitomizes his young career. Something tells me Reggie Gilliam is going to get his chance if Knox can't go for a few weeks---is he the right mix of Lee's blocking ability and Knox's athleticism? I hope. But too early to give up on Knox.
  • The thing I most love about J Allen's game yesterday, only one called run. Has he truly become a dual threat? If so, pick your poison opposing D coordinators.
  • MVP of the game: The Bills Mafia guys who were FaceBook Live-ing the game during the blackout. Someone find out who they were and do a GoFundMe to cover their game and travel expenses. On second thought, the Bills should take care of these guys. They were great and represented what this fan base is all about.

The Bills Win! Happy Monday, BillsMafia! And try to get some work done for your boss today.

This is something I can not get off my mind.  I hoped that Knox worked on his catches/fumbles in the offseason. But I think Josh will lose confidence quickly (if he has not already). Gilliam's catch today made me think that Knox may end up being a "blocking" tight end.

I know - too early, yada-yada. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cd1 said:

This is something I can not get off my mind.  I hoped that Knox worked on his catches/fumbles in the offseason. But I think Josh will lose confidence quickly (if he has not already). Gilliam's catch today made me think that Knox may end up being a "blocking" tight end.

Does Gilliam have anywhere near Knox’s open field speed?  That’s what I liked most about Knox. 

Imagine a Waller, Engram on this team

22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think Byron Jones going out early and Xavien Howard being hobbled hurts them. When those two are fully healthy that looks a good corner combo. Asking the rookie from Auburn to cover Diggs in man once Jones went out was a complete mismatch. I like Flores but I think I said on Diggs first or second catch in the game thread that if they tried that all day he would eat. He ate. Enough to get a lockdown belly in fact.

Think they still have a problem on the offensive line but I liked Solomon Kindley's game on Sunday. I thought he was the best long term bet of the three olinemen they took relatively early in the draft. He still has some work to do as a pass blocker, but I thought he got some movement for them in the run game.

2 hours ago, cd1 said:

Should say on Knox's second "mistake" I think that was a heck of a play by the DB keeping his hand in there and ripping the ball out. He has to do a better job on the fumble though, no question. His ceiling is still very high.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Byron Jones going out early and Xavien Howard being hobbled hurts them. When those two are fully healthy that looks a good corner combo. Asking the rookie from Auburn to cover Diggs in man once Jones went out was a complete mismatch. I like Flores but I think I said on Diggs first or second catch in the game thread that if they tried that all day he would eat. He ate. Enough to get a lockdown belly in fact.

Think they still have a problem on the offensive line but I liked Solomon Kindley's game on Sunday. I thought he was the best long term bet of the three olinemen they took relatively early in the draft. He still has some work to do as a pass blocker, but I thought he got some movement for them in the run game.

Should say on Knox's second "mistake" I think that was a heck of a play by the DB keeping his hand in there and ripping the ball out. He has to do a better job on the fumble though, no question. His ceiling is still very high.

was a video of the Knox fumble ever posted?  It’s the only play I haven’t seen.