A Few Thoughts about the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Very good assessment.  Miami is better than people think and are well coached.  They have a ton of draft picks.

Not sure if you meant official reviews would have been overturned in the past because it was the Bills or how the NFL was implementing the reviews. If you meant they went with the call on the field because there was not indisputable evidence, I agree. That is how the rule and replay should be used. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BillsRdue said:

Dak was #1. Allen was #2 I have both on my team. Of course started Allen.

I looked at my ESPN league, but we do give QB's a little more credit for passing.  I'm not a fan of the run-heavy focus in the default scoring.

Nice write up as always, Virgil.  Being a Penn State alum, I got to see a lot of Gesicki.  I really wasn't thrilled when Miami drafted him...knowing the damage he could do against a defense.  As to Fitz, he always seems to play his best against the Bills.  I don't think it's a "revenge" thing as much as perhaps Fitz plays loose and has fun playing against his old team.  I knew we'd miss Edmunds and Milano.  I agree with you that Dodson fared pretty well in his first start.

Edited by jkeerie

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I looked at my ESPN league, but we do give QB's a little more credit for passing.  I'm not a fan of the run-heavy focus in the default scoring.

I think Josh had the best game, and only cost me a few points not to start. Dak had 3 rushing TD's which inflated his #'s.  But when Allen throws for 400, that's a huge reason to celebrate. 

Edited by BillsRdue

As always @Virgilgreat write up.  Yes, the D struggled. I want to see the Bills explore other options for backup LBers. Made a huge difference in the game having both of them inactive today. Finally, we saw the Fitz we liked when he was here today. Not the one that made us cringe. Lets go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I was nervous about this one too as it seems whenever Fitz has a bad game and people start to say he's washed up,  the next week he comes out and lights things up.  And the next week game was us.  Throw in the injuries to the defense and seemed like a bad thing coming.

Funny haven't seen any threads since cut down day whining about how we cut such a talent in Duke and what a mistake it was.  Think Oliver will soon be the star of the D line.  Funny too how overall young the line has got between Oliver, EJ, and Phillips.  Even V Butler is only 26.

I recall seeing Shaq exit the game injured, guess he did come back, I say "guess" as don't recall hearing his name much at all!

Agree about the officiating call, I was kind of thinking the same.

Wallace did make things worry some today, seemed like a step back from last season for his play.

Allen was amazing, nothing more to say.

Overall great game!!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

10 - Daboll - Nah, I'm just kidding.  (Even though he did call another beautiful game).  Josh!!!!!!  The kid threw for 4 Touchdowns and over 400 Yards!  Allen missed on only one pass over 20 yards and hit on the other 7 of them!  What the hell did I just witness?! 

Virg, as always, your write-up was great.

With regard to Josh's long balls, I will say this.  Last year, I opined that the coaching got into his head and he was trying to be mechanically perfect and find a perfect arc.  That's not his game.  Today, he threw those passes with natural movement and instinct.  They are letting him play his game and it's paying dividends.

Thanks, again, for the great commentary.  I love you a little.

Gug

• Like (+1) 2

I will always love Fitz - even when he drives me crazy, like he did at times today.  He's been good for the league, in his own way.

And he gave me one of the best Buffalo wins of the drought, coming back against the Patriots. Really, the only meaningful win we had against them in years.  He was spectacular that day, as he can still be at times.

Great write-up.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

I will always love Fitz - even when he drives me crazy, like he did at times today.  He's been good for the league, in his own way.

And he gave me one of the best Buffalo wins of the drought, coming back against the Patriots. Really, the only meaningful win we had against them in years.  He was spectacular that day, as he can still be at times.

Great write-up.

I'd love him as a back-up QB here.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Virg, as always, your write-up was great.

With regard to Josh's long balls, I will say this.  Last year, I opined that the coaching got into his head and he was trying to be mechanically perfect and find a perfect arc.  That's not his game.  Today, he threw those passes with natural movement and instinct.  They are letting him play his game and it's paying dividends.

Thanks, again, for the great commentary.  I love you a little.

Gug

It’s more than little

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

The Miami defense seemed to be one step ahead of us for a lot of the game

Ahead of us to the tune of 524 yards allowed at 8.9 yards per play, including Allen's first 400 yard and 4 passing TD games.  I'll take being behind opposing defenses like that 7 days a week.

12 minutes ago, Success said:

Great write-up.

That win was directly responsible for getting me a girlfriend and engaged, good times.  Was a good way to never forget our anniversary. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Thank You, Virgil. As always, a great job!

A few more thoughts from my view:

• Levi Wallace had one of those games he will have. I hope Josh Norman is able to get back soon, to at least see if he's an improvement.
  • I think it's time to feature Singletary more.
  • Question: When our LBs heal, will Dobson stay in the line-up? It seems to me he is a much more athletic option than Klein?
  • How can you not like Fitz, the ultimate gamer. And he seems to have his best days against the Bills.
  • I, like most on this board, want Knox to succeed. His reception for 37 yards and fumble all in on the same play epitomizes his young career. Something tells me Reggie Gilliam is going to get his chance if Knox can't go for a few weeks---is he the right mix of Lee's blocking ability and Knox's athleticism? I hope. But too early to give up on Knox.
  • The thing I most love about J Allen's game yesterday, only one called run. Has he truly become a dual threat? If so, pick your poison opposing D coordinators.
  • MVP of the game: The Bills Mafia guys who were FaceBook Live-ing the game during the blackout. Someone find out who they were and do a GoFundMe to cover their game and travel expenses. On second thought, the Bills should take care of these guys. They were great and represented what this fan base is all about.

The Bills Win! Happy Monday, BillsMafia! And try to get some work done for your boss today.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 5

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

I am with you that I may have overthought this game too much as I picked them to lose (may have been the only one). The big thing is I didn't see Josh evolving into a 400 yd thrower so I am soo happy I was wrong. My thoughts back to you:

1 - Diggs - Agreed the offense is completely different and soo much more dynamic with him. When the Duke williams crowd tries to tell me he could be a guy, I point to Diggs first two games and then just think how we wouldve beat Houston how we had him last year. #1 WRs make plays and Diggs does that tenfold.

2 - Frazier - Bad day for him and the defense. Not only was the D a sieve at points but they couldnt get off the field when the offense was going most of the day. I agree I couldn't figure out with how quick Fitz was releasing why they didn't bump and play closer then to slow them. The most concerning thing to me was even without Milano/Edmunds soo many of our best guys White, Hyde etc.. had bad days and couldn't pick up the slack. I have thought defenses would be flat footed in general to start the season given no pre season games etc.. so I believe it is that and I am happy the offense covered. BUT I have only seen one really good/great quarter of play by the D which was the 1st against the Jets. They have room to improve big time.

3 - Dodson - He was not a liability and I think he could be the third LB with Milano and Edmunds. He read plays well and in general was mistake free compared to our more established guys.

5 - Pass Coverage - EJ Gaines opting out hurts more then Norman at this point. That was the depth we needed and Norman you knew would be iffy anyway. I think they will come together like they did last year, but the secondary has been very average outside of Poyer to start the year.

8 - Old Friends - Some people don't think guys should be friends but I love the fact Shaq and the Bills were talking and having fun. I told my wife had Shaq been here from the start with McD I think he would've been still here.

10 - Daboll- Prepare for him to leave after this year unfortunately. He has earned his stripes to become a HC, heck of a job over the years developing the offense and Allen to where they are now.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by corta765

I know this won't be popular here but I wanted to give a shout out to a Dolphins player. Isaiah Ford is a guy I really liked coming out of Virginia Tech back in 2017. I had a mid round grade on him coming out but he didn't run well at the Combine and slipped to the 7th round. He then got injured his first camp and spent his rookie year on IR. In 2018 he went on the practice squad and then eventually got elevated late in the year and 2019 he bounced between the active roster and the practice squad before getting his shot due to injuries late in the year and putting up a couple of hundred yards over the last few weeks. This season he seems to have won himself a job and had himself a day yesterday with 7 for 76. Good for him. Good player who has never stopped fighting and has earned his chance to show he can play at this level. I am as pleased for him as it is possible to be for a Dolphins player. I always believed he could play in this league and he might be on the cusp of proving it.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, CSBill said:

• I, like most on this board, want Knox to succeed. His reception for 37 yards and fumble all in on the same play epitomizes his young career. Something tells me Reggie Gilliam is going to get his chance if Knox can't go for a few weeks---is he the right mix of Lee's blocking ability and Knox's athleticism? I hope. But too early to give up on Knox.
  •  

Speaking of TEs, honest question - where is Tyler Kroft ? Is he injured (again) ? 

I agree that Dodson played well.  However, I think that Edmunds provides a unique advantage in Frazier's defense, particularly against quick passing.  He is so athletic and has such long arms that he plays like a wing defender in basketball and makes those quick middle plays difficult.  I remember last year, I don't remember the game (Patriots, maybe) that the commenter pointed out it was clear the opposing quarterback wanted to go quick, but Edmunds was always there.  He had some tips...maybe an interception...and then the threat of him made the qb turn away from the middle as an option. I hope he's back against the Rams.