THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Oh, Yeah!

Shaw66

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

I think the heat may have started to wear down the Bills D in the 2nd half. 

Fitzy and the fiesty fish made some big plays.. They deserve some credit.

I feel like despite not having preseason most teams in the league have came out in mid season form.

Amazing...

Perhaps 18 game regular season ( no preseason) is the way to go IMO. 

Interesting.  They'll need those bigger rosters and practice squads.  

I think the shortened training camps have contributed to the injuries, but they could go back to more normal training camps after COVID.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

When he completed that sideline pass, I thought he was throwing it away...

All of a sudden Diggs had it at the sideline. Awesome play.

Did Allen throw any ball away today?   I missed a lot of the first half with the power outage, but while I was watching I don't think I saw a throw away. 

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Did Allen throw any ball away today?   I missed a lot of the first half with the power outage, but while I was watching I don't think I saw a throw away. 

He threw one away on a 3rd and long but we were bailed out by a defensive holding call.

13 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I think I’m more impressed with this season’s 2-0 start than last season.   They beat the Jets soundly to start off last week, and then went into Miami and weathered their entire LB corps being injured, as well as the heat and humidity (and some weird stuff happening during the game with the lightning delay and whatnot), and came out with another important division win.

If we can beat a tough Rams team next week, too... man oh man.

Good points.   I think we don't really know what we have yet, for several reasons:  haven't played any elite teams yet, haven't really emerged from preseason mode, don't know what the injury story is yet, etc., etc.  

I didn't write about the power outage and lightning delay, because I didn't know exactly what to say about them, but it's a good bet they both contributed to the uneven defensive performance.   Of course, the question is why those things had an effect on the defense while they didn't seem to affect the offense (other than the third quarter).   

The whole point is that it's early in the season.  I'm excited about what I've seen, but just like every season, we won't know what we have until at least November.  It's a shakedown cruise for the whole league until then.  

What I do know is that the Bills have a lot of opponents on their schedule who look very good.  The Patriots plus the entire AFC West and NFC West.  That's ten tough games.  However, I keep reminding myself that those nine coaches are looking at scores and highlights and realizing that the Bills are one of the tough games on THEIR schedule, too.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Good points.   I think we don't really know what we have yet, for several reasons:  haven't played any elite teams yet, haven't really emerged from preseason mode, don't know what the injury story is yet, etc., etc.  

I didn't write about the power outage and lightning delay, because I didn't know exactly what to say about them, but it's a good bet they both contributed to the uneven defensive performance.   Of course, the question is why those things had an effect on the defense while they didn't seem to affect the offense (other than the third quarter).   

The whole point is that it's early in the season.  I'm excited about what I've seen, but just like every season, we won't know what we have until at least November.  It's a shakedown cruise for the whole league until then.  

What I do know is that the Bills have a lot of opponents on their schedule who look very good.  The Patriots plus the entire AFC West and NFC West.  That's ten tough games.  However, I keep reminding myself that those nine coaches are looking at scores and highlights and realizing that the Bills are one of the tough games on THEIR schedule, too.  

I realize its early, but I'll go out on a limb and say core Intact the Bills are a legit playoff contender IMO. Something we probably both agree on.

Where Buffalo stands in the grand scheme of things remains to be seen.

Standing One Buffalo strong my friend...

...One Buffalo strong... 

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, Figster said:

I realize its early, but I'll go out on a limb and say core Intact the Bills are a legit playoff contender IMO. Something we probably both agree on.

Where Buffalo stands in the grand scheme of things remains to be seen.

Standing One Buffalo strong my friend...

...One Buffalo strong... 

Yes.   

I think the point is that every year, the season is fluid, and the league never looks the same in November as it did in September.   So, as you say, where Buffalo stands in the grand scheme of things remains to be seen.  

If the playoffs were held today, the Bills would be in.  Unfortunately, that ain't the way it works. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, stuvian said:

when was the last time our offense bailed out our defense? How surreal!

Right.  Complementary football.  

Bills have yet to show that they can run the ball effectively.  If they can get the run game going, they'll be tough to beat. 

It may just be that through two weeks, the opponents' defensive game plan was stop the run and force them to beat us through the air.  After Sunday, I don't think any teams will think that "force them to beat us through the air" is a winning strategy.  No one's going to be challenging the Bills to pass.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Right.  Complementary football.  

Bills have yet to show that they can run the ball effectively.  If they can get the run game going, they'll be tough to beat. 

It may just be that through two weeks, the opponents' defensive game plan was stop the run and force them to beat us through the air.  After Sunday, I don't think any teams will think that "force them to beat us through the air" is a winning strategy.  No one's going to be challenging the Bills to pass.  

because when they do the Bills will be digging it...

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/21/2020 at 3:36 PM, DaggersEOD said:

Shaw, been an avid reader of yours since the BBMB.

There were some dark and dreary Monday's the last couple decades.  The only bright spot was your Rockpile Reviews.

ALWAYS a must read.

Great write up as always Shaw.

Thanks.  It used to be easier to write. It was easy to be funny, because so many stupid things happened.  And there was a lot to criticize.  Now its fun but not funny, and there is no much to criticize. 

Edited by Shaw66

18 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.  It used to be easier to write. It was easy to be funny, because so many stupid things happened.  And there was a lot to criticize.  Now its fun but funny, and there is not much to criticize. 

Even Daboll is becoming lost in the process

...Something special brewing in Buffallo...

Edited by Figster

It's late in the life of this thread, but there's one thing I wanted to add:

Allen always had the ability to do this, but Sunday he was regularly taking something off his throws.  The balls seem to just float into the receivers' hands.   Some he zips, like the TD passes to Gilliam and Davis, but a lot of them have a lot of touch on them.   And related to that is effortlessly he throws the softballs.  He just flicks them.   Even the TD to Brown seemed like he could have thrown it 20 yards farther if he'd put any oomph into it.