Week 3: Rams at Bills

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I predict a loss this Sunday.

The Bills are good, and I believe they will make the playoffs, but this is not a good matchup.

Cooper Kupp and Tyler Higbee are gonna have monster games if Edmunds and Milano aren't back. Aditionally, the Rams have a killer play-action game, which further highlights the linebacker/middle of the field deficiencies the Bills are currently experiencing.

If the stadium was packed with Bills fans, it might be a different story. On what is essentially a level playing field, though? I expect a high scoring shootout and a loss for the Bills. Something like 34-27 Rams.

It's fine. If you're going to lose, it's always best to lose to NFC opponents. The swing of tough AFC opponents coming up after the Rams game is much more important. Hopefully Milano and Edmunds are back for that.

I find your logic paradoxically curious.

Exactly how well do the Rams match up with the Bills' offense?  They have two great players -- Donald and Ramsey -- and a bunch of "meh" otherwise.  They have a first year DC.  I have Rams fan friends, and they are anything but confident about this game.

The one thing the Bills have going for them if Milano and Edmunds can't return is they now have game film to study and correct with the replacements.  They also can scheme things a bit differently.

The overall talent level between these two teams is either even, or slanted towards the Bills.  McVay is the "sensitive genius" but I don't think you say the Rams are better coached overall than the Bills.

This should be a tight game, but it's far from a "bad matchup" for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, eball said:

I find your logic paradoxically curious.

Exactly how well do the Rams match up with the Bills' offense?  They have two great players -- Donald and Ramsey -- and a bunch of "meh" otherwise.  They have a first year DC.  I have Rams fan friends, and they are anything but confident about this game.

The one thing the Bills have going for them if Milano and Edmunds can't return is they now have game film to study and correct with the replacements.  They also can scheme things a bit differently.

The overall talent level between these two teams is either even, or slanted towards the Bills.  McVay is the "sensitive genius" but I don't think you say the Rams are better coached overall than the Bills.

This should be a tight game, but it's far from a "bad matchup" for the Bills.

Fair enough.

As I mentioned to another poster above, it's not the Rams defense stopping the Bills offense that I'm worried about. I think the Bills will score plenty.

It's the Bills defense -- particularly if Edmunds and Milano are still out -- stopping the Rams offense that I'm worried about. Tyler Higbee had three touchdowns Sunday. He and Kupp, as I said, should eat against the suddenly porous middle of the Buffalo defense. My "bad matchup" comment comes from the fact that we will be facing a team with a good running game and a great play-action game and a surging tight end and slot receiver at a time when we are missing our two best linebackers. In terms of an opposing offense vs the Bills defense, that's about as bad as matchups get.

It will be a shootout. We just have to hope the Bills can score at least one more point than the Rams.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bills' postseason chances improve with a loss to an NFC team.  It's all about the tiebreakers.

I forgot all about that debate-- a true TBD classic. This discussion needs to resurface. Someone should bump that thread back up. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

I really don't think you understand how this works.  Who said to use Diggs as a decoy?

It seemed implied.. but truth be told, Diggs is so good that I could see him beating Ramsey quite a bit.. and Allen has the arm to get it there.. he may not get 10 catches for 158 yards but I could see 5-6 catches for 68-80 yards.. I think with a player like Diggs and a QB like Allen, even against the best CB in the business we should still see some movement there.. then you factor in Brown, Beasley and Knox and the Rams have a legit nightmare on their hands.. Diggs is too good to be a decoy.

Also, we can say, “look what Fitz and the Dolphins did to our defense...imagine what Goff and the Rams will do if Edmunds and Milano are out”.. but Fitz was ON POINT.  Gesicki was making one handed stab catches.   Parker and Williams were beasting on Levi and one of them even smoked Tre deep.   

Our defense was trash but the other team still had to execute and the Dolphins did.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Fair enough.

When predicting game outcomes, I look at specific matchups.

To me, Higbee/Kupp vs Bills defense without Edmunds/Milano (if they miss another game) is a scary matchup. Also, the way to beat the Rams is to limit the run and not be as susceptible to play-action. Their whole passing game seems to be built off of play-action and run game success. If Edmunds and Milano are out, I see the Bills struggling to stop the run and, thus, struggling to contain play-action. Furthermore, we just saw Mike Gesicki tear up our defense. Tyler Higbee is every bit as good as Gesicki. 

Put a different way: the Bills defense was mostly unable to stop the Dolphins offense. The Rams offense is superior. The Bills just beat the Dolphins by 3 points. The Rams are vastly superior to the Dolphins as a team.

I still see something like 10-12 wins for the Bills, I just don't think this will be one of them.

Maybe I'm pulling this out of my butt, but doesn't McD's defense usually snap back hard after a let down game? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Fair enough.

When predicting game outcomes, I look at specific matchups.

To me, Higbee/Kupp vs Bills defense without Edmunds/Milano (if they miss another game) is a scary matchup. Also, the way to beat the Rams is to limit the run and not be as susceptible to play-action. Their whole passing game seems to be built off of play-action and run game success. If Edmunds and Milano are out, I see the Bills struggling to stop the run and, thus, struggling to contain play-action. Furthermore, we just saw Mike Gesicki tear up our defense. Tyler Higbee is every bit as good as Gesicki. 

Put a different way: the Bills defense was mostly unable to stop the Dolphins offense. The Rams offense is superior. The Bills just beat the Dolphins by 3 points. The Rams are vastly superior to the Dolphins as a team.

I still see something like 10-12 wins for the Bills, I just don't think this will be one of them.

I think there is a lot of overreaction to the Bills' defensive performance yesterday.  Fitz has done that to a lot of teams, especially when he's playing from behind.  And for whatever reason, defenses around the league are struggling to keep up with the offenses.  Look around, there really haven't been any great defensive performances.  This was a great defense last year and they really didn't lose much in terms of personnel.  They did not mysteriously become a crappy unit, even without Milano and Edmunds. They will absolutely bounce back, maybe this week. 

Edited by mannc

😂 

sorry if duplicated 

https://sports.yahoo.com/rams-open-2-5-point-124415446.html

The Los Angeles Rams have once again started the season 2-0, the third year in a row they’ve done so. After two statement wins against the NFC East’s two best teams, the Rams have established themselves as legitimate

umm that’s not saying a lot. 

Dallas is bad, Washington is bad, Philadelphia is bad and the NY Giants are bad. 

SMH

The Bills have also started the season strong, but their two wins came against the Jets and Dolphins – who are viewed as two of the weaker teams in the NFL. They haven’t faced anyone like the Rams yet, with a defense that features Jalen Ramsey and Aaron Donald, and an offense with the playmakers that L.A. possesses.

Oh the irony!!!!

Hope we win this one.

I don't expect to see a lot of deep balls from Josh in this game.  Two reasons: Aaron Donald (as in get the ball out quick) plus Rams' DC will try to take away our passing game.  They now have two weeks of film on our passing game.

I hope we bring a strong running game with us because we'll need it both to move the ball & loosen up the Rams' pass D.

Our best chance on O is to run an O the Rams haven't anticipated.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I'm not worried about the Bills scoring on the Rams. I'm worried about the Bills not being able to stop the Rams offense.

It will be a shootout, as I said.

I mean...I'm gonna pump the brakes a little bit here.

Our offense has looked pretty impressive, but it HAS been against two of the worst teams in the league. Even the Dolphins defense, which isn't very good, held the Bills to two consecutive three-and-outs in the third quarter yesterday.

Good? Yes. Unstoppable? I think it's too early to say on that one.

What are you going to do when he throws for 500 yards vs the rams?