Week 3: Rams at Bills

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I'm not sure the point you are trying to make here

McVay has already shown he is an elite coach and can beat the top teams in the league, as he's been to a superbowl. McD hasn't proven that yet. 

this discussion isn't about the Bills vs rams its about McD's record vs top teams or playoff caliber teams. 

During the game "it's all about the Jimmies and Joes"

My point is that people making a point frame opponents differently.  When people want to show that the Rams are a good team, "wow, they beat the Cowboys!" (even though the Cowboys changed HC and we have no idea yet who they are).

When someone (such as your post to which I responded) wants to minimize the Bills record last year "we beat Dallas last year who didn't even end up making the playoffs, lost against every other decent team we played."  (conveniently skating by the win over the team that played for the AFC champions, the Titans)

If your point is that McVay has shown he can win an NFC championship as a HC, you're correct that McD hasn't proven that as the HC of the Bills yet, but that wasn't what you were saying. 

It's also a point that McD coached a 15-1 defense in Carolina that was a top D in the league that year - and that lost to a better team in the Superbowl.  You know, like the Rams did.

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Play action and short throws over the middle are Goff's stock in trade.  He got 46% of his passing yards after the catch in 2018, and 51% last year.

Wind doesn't affect that too much.

Questions are:

1) Can we shut down those passes over the middle that Dodson and Wallace left us vulnerable to last week?  Getting Edmunds or Milano back full-go would be huuuuge but if not, hopefully Frazier and McD learned something about what "next man up" can actually do and will adjust

2) Can McD and Frazier confuse and bemuse Goff with their coverages in a way they were not able to confuse and bemuse wily 'ol vet Fitz?  Good question.

Yes I think the question is not what he usually does but what happens if/when that is taken away - what else does he have in his arsenal? Can he take off running? Can he throw it deep? If he can’t, the Bills can focus more on shutting down the short passing game and YAC. But I believe he does have a nice deep ball, i just don’t love him his arm in the wind from that aspect and they don’t really have a burner at WR. Also he’s a different QB under pressure. I’m more concerned about the defense the Rams will put out there just because they managed to confuse Wentz quite a bit last week.

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

so they beat a garbage eagles squad and a cowboys team that, lets be honest, should be winless. I'm failing to see how this is so much more impressive than ours. SLIGHTLY? Sure, they can have that. BIG WHOOP....The cowboys and eagles are only impressive at this point in brand name and label. thats about it.

I get you're just the messenger, but some of what these reporters say to swing narrative just looks silly.

I agree.  The fact is, as McD said in his presser, at this point in the season all the teams are trying to figure out who they are.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yup. I’ve said it all week: gotta disrupt their timing; whatever it takes. Having Edmunds and Milano will really help because they’re good enough athletes to get into their drops even if they have to be used at the LOS at times.

I wonder what McDermott and Frazier have cooked up to keep Woods and Kupp from getting free releases...I’ve floated the idea of using Neal and/or Jaquan over the WR with the CB playing off coverage, which would (theoretically) also give you an advantage against the run, but I’m very curious as to what two very smart football minds will concoct.

I dont think i've seen this mentioned much, but isnt Mcvays big threat being able to disect things for goff presnap before the headset cuts out? Do they rely on this technique more than others? Seems to me our wily veteran safety duo could create a whole lot of mayhem with their presnap disguises. Make sense? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes I think the question is not what he usually does but what happens if/when that is taken away - what else does he have in his arsenal? Can he take off running? Can he throw it deep? If he can’t, the Bills can focus more on shutting down the short passing game and YAC. But I believe he does have a nice deep ball, i just don’t love him his arm in the wind from that aspect and they don’t really have a burner at WR. Also he’s a different QB under pressure. I’m more concerned about the defense the Rams will put out there just because they managed to confuse Wentz quite a bit last week.

Wentz is a riddle wrapped in an enigma.  Boy, in 2017 he looked "all world" before he got hurt.  Since then, he seems up and down.  Can it be the QB coach and OC make a difference to how well the QB prepares?

I'm sure that Daboll and Allen are looking hard at that tape.

It's interesting to me that we came into this year with the belief that the Defense, on paper, is elite and we just need our Offense to take a step forward.  

Here we are in Week 3 and many of us are conceding that the Rams will smoke our defense and we need our Offense to prove they can keep up. 

I get it... the Defense looked solid against a terrible Jets team, and then, without Edmunds/Milano, looked absolutely awful in the second half against the Dolphins.  

I'll admit, i'm not confident at all in our defense after watching that, but have to remind myself that we have a lot of talent and McDermott/Frazier are excellent coaches. 

While i'm nervous that our defense gets lit up if Edmunds and Milano can't play again, i'd also be extremely disappointed in that side of the ball, should the Rams Offense score a lot, given we still have a HEAVILY invested in DL and guys like Tre White, Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer in the secondary. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wentz is a riddle wrapped in an enigma.  Boy, in 2017 he looked "all world" before he got hurt.  Since then, he seems up and down.  Can it be the QB coach and OC make a difference to how well the QB prepares?

I'm sure that Daboll and Allen are looking hard at that tape.

Interesting 

• Like (+1) 2

With the expected extra windy conditions, my suspicion is that the Rams' gameplan (similar to what the Eagles' was against us in similar conditions last year) will be to focus on the running game with some mixed in play-action passes. The Bills had trouble stopping the run and Josh turned the ball over in that game against the Eagles last year, which proved to be our most lop-sided loss of the season. If I'm McD and Frazier, I focus on stopping the run and try to secure against the short-to-medium routes in the passing game. Dare Goff to beat them over the top. Offensively, it would be nice to get the traditional ground game going.

• Like (+1) 1

I already know Allen is a franchise QB. But this is basically the game that will tell us if he is a legit MVP candidate, top 5 QB in the league or maybe just a top 10 QB. 

Allen's hot start has come with a heaping  tablespoon of "yeah but". Fair enough given the opponents. Very similar to Jackson's start in 2019.

After Jackson's two great games to start 2019 he put up pedestrian numbers against KC on the road. 70 QB rating, 51 percent completion, 267 passing yards 0 tds 0 ints 1 rushing td 46 yards rushing. Those numbers look like Allen's current floor for a bad game which is a good improvement over games with a QB rating in the 50's or lower.

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I already know Allen is a franchise QB. But this is basically the game that will tell us if he is a legit MVP candidate, top 5 QB in the league or maybe just a top 10 QB. 

Allen's hot start has come with a heaping  tablespoon of "yeah but". Fair enough given the opponents. Very similar to Jackson's start in 2019.

After Jackson's two great games to start 2019 he put up pedestrian numbers against KC on the road. 70 QB rating, 51 percent completion, 267 passing yards 0 tds 0 ints 1 rushing td 46 yards rushing. Those numbers look like Allen's current floor for a bad game which is a good improvement over games with a QB rating in the 50's or lower.

Based on what?

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I dont think i've seen this mentioned much, but isnt Mcvays big threat being able to disect things for goff presnap before the headset cuts out? Do they rely on this technique more than others? Seems to me our wily veteran safety duo could create a whole lot of mayhem with their presnap disguises. Make sense? 

That was one of the things it was said that McVay was doing in 2018, and that Belicheck sniffed it out and was countering by showing one defense then switching to another just before the snap. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was one of the things it was said that McVay was doing in 2018, and that Belicheck sniffed it out and was countering by showing one defense then switching to another just before the snap. 

right. i remember that.... i guess i'm just wondering if its still a thing and others have not been as successful against it was Bill has.