Week 3: Rams at Bills

YoloinOhio

45 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Weather update for sunday: Rain is out of the forecast (for now) but its going to be WINNDDYYYYYYYY (for now). 15-20 MPH winds all day and gusts during gametime between 30-40MPH. Good things Josh has that cannon of an arm. 

That’s a factor as to why they drafted him. For the crazy Buffalo weather.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

Weather update for sunday: Rain is out of the forecast (for now) but its going to be WINNDDYYYYYYYY (for now). 15-20 MPH winds all day and gusts during gametime between 30-40MPH. Good things Josh has that cannon of an arm. 

Goff's arm cant handle that. I think the Rams were coming into this one emphasizing the run game without the wind, but this all but guarantees it. Run D has to be on point. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, AirAllenPower said:

The rams defense is very suspect outside Ramsey and Donald. Now one of their corners are hurt...

I'm predicting another 400 yards for Josh 

See, this is the point I think a lot of people miss. 

Ramsey is great.  Donald is great. 

During their Superbowl run, the Rams had the #20 D in the league on points.  #17 in the league last year - with Donald and Ramsey.

So the teams they usually play are able to score on them.

Now I grant that includes the Cardinals, Seahawks, and 49ers 2x/season. 

But if we wanna show we're a Big Dog, we gotta do what them Dogs do, and put points up on those Rams. 

In 2018, the Rams won because they managed to put up MORE points by the end of the game.

In 2019, other teams won more because the Rams didn't outscore them by the end of the game.

I don't care how many yards we get, but we got to score on these guys early and often.

42 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Goff's arm cant handle that. I think the Rams were coming into this one emphasizing the run game without the wind, but this all but guarantees it. Run D has to be on point. 

Play action and short throws over the middle are Goff's stock in trade.  He got 46% of his passing yards after the catch in 2018, and 51% last year.

Wind doesn't affect that too much.

Questions are:

1) Can we shut down those passes over the middle that Dodson and Wallace left us vulnerable to last week?  Getting Edmunds or Milano back full-go would be huuuuge but if not, hopefully Frazier and McD learned something about what "next man up" can actually do and will adjust

2) Can McD and Frazier confuse and bemuse Goff with their coverages in a way they were not able to confuse and bemuse wily 'ol vet Fitz?  Good question.

14 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Rams offense doesn't rely on big throws. 

They can dismantle defenses with quick short yardage plays, the exact type of plays Fitz killed us with last week. Cupp will be a nightmare matchup if our LB's don't come back 

Edited by Penfield45
  • Like (+1) 1

massive game for McD and his staff

for all the praise they get, so far they really haven't shown they are able to beat the top teams in the league. we beat Dallas last year who didn't even end up making the playoffs, lost against every other decent team we played. 

This year has to be different. 

20 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the bolded might make sense if they werent just coming off 10 wins.... apples to oranges IMO.

This is a fair point.  The "experts" counter point is that last year we had a "very weak schedule", and that we won with a smothering D that we haven't shown so far against 2 weak teams, while our offense hasn't shown it's sustainable against really good defenses.

Note: I'm not saying they're right, I'm just saying what the argument is.  This typifies it:

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/09/23/rams-bills-preview-undefeated-jared-goff-josh-allen/

“I’m more impressed with the Rams’ victories, because they came over the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles,” says CBS San Francisco sports director Dennis O’Donnell. “Who did the Bills beat? They beat the Jets and the Dolphins… big deal.

Those defenses don’t measure up to the Rams defense that sports some of the NFL’s best position players, namely Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey. And that comes back around to Allen and Diggs, and how they handle this week’s more formidable matchup."

Which of course totally ignores that last year, the Jets D was right up next to the Rams D (Jets #16, Rams #17).  The Dolphins D was at the bottom of the heap, but they are a very well coached team and they reloaded in the draft and FA.  The Jets were 7-9 last year, the Cowboys 8-8.  Not sure one wants to argue a huge difference between 8-8 and 7-9 or even 9-7 (the Rams and Eagles).  The big question is going to be whether the new Cowboys HC is "all that", and we don't know yet.

16 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

massive game for McD and his staff

for all the praise they get, so far they really haven't shown they are able to beat the top teams in the league. we beat Dallas last year who didn't even end up making the playoffs, lost against every other decent team we played. 

This year has to be different. 

So here's a funny thing.  When people want to make a point about the Bills not being as good as the Rams, they're all like "the Rams even beat the Cowboys - a TOP TEAM last year".  When people want to make a point about the Bills not being a good team (despite tub-thumping the Cowboys on Turkey Day), they say "the Bills only beat the Cowboys - a TEAM THAT DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS last year."   Funny how that works.

The Cowboys had a 6-5 record at the point where we faced them.  Maybe getting tub-thumped on Turkey Day had something to do with demoralizing them and ultimately winning only 2 more games.  One of which, by the way, was their game against the Rams, and Boy Howdy did the Boys wallop them.  So there's that.  (By the way the Bills beat the Titans, who did thump the Pats and the Ravens to play in the AFC Championship - but but the Titans changed QB.  So they did - but they didn't change defense, and that's what we had to score points on).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So here's a funny thing.  When people want to make a point about the Bills not being as good as the Rams, they're all like "the Rams even beat the Cowboys - a TOP TEAM last year".  When people want to make a point about the Bills not being a good team (despite tub-thumping the Cowboys on Turkey Day), they say "the Bills only beat the Cowboys - a TEAM THAT DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS last year."   

The Cowboys had a 6-5 record at the point where we faced them.  Maybe getting tub-thumped on Turkey Day had something to do with demoralizing them and ultimately winning only 2 more games.  One of which, by the way, was their game against the Rams, and Boy Howdy did the Boys wallop them.  So there's that.  (By the way the Bills beat the Titans, who did thump the Pats and the Ravens to play in the AFC Championship - but but the Titans changed QB.  So they did - but they didn't change defense, and that's what we had to score points on)

I'm not sure the point you are trying to make here

McVay has already shown he is an elite coach and can beat the top teams in the league, as he's been to a superbowl. McD hasn't proven that yet. 

this discussion isn't about the Bills vs rams its about McD's record vs top teams or playoff caliber teams. 

Edited by Penfield45

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Play action and short throws over the middle are Goff's stock in trade.  He got 46% of his passing yards after the catch in 2018, and 51% last year.

Wind doesn't affect that too much.

Yup. I’ve said it all week: gotta disrupt their timing; whatever it takes. Having Edmunds and Milano will really help because they’re good enough athletes to get into their drops even if they have to be used at the LOS at times.

I wonder what McDermott and Frazier have cooked up to keep Woods and Kupp from getting free releases...I’ve floated the idea of using Neal and/or Jaquan over the WR with the CB playing off coverage, which would (theoretically) also give you an advantage against the run, but I’m very curious as to what two very smart football minds will concoct.

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a fair point.  The "experts" counter point is that last year we had a "very weak schedule", and that we won with a smothering D that we haven't shown so far against 2 weak teams, while our offense hasn't shown it's sustainable against really good defenses.

Note: I'm not saying they're right, I'm just saying what the argument is.  This typifies it:

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/09/23/rams-bills-preview-undefeated-jared-goff-josh-allen/

“I’m more impressed with the Rams’ victories, because they came over the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles,” says CBS San Francisco sports director Dennis O’Donnell. “Who did the Bills beat? They beat the Jets and the Dolphins… big deal.”

Those defenses don’t measure up to the Rams defense that sports some of the NFL’s best position players, namely Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey. And that comes back around to Allen and Diggs, and how they handle this week’s more formidable matchup."

Which of course totally ignores that last year, the Jets D was right up next to the Rams D (Jets #16, Rams #17).  The Dolphins D was at the bottom of the heap, but they are a very well coached team and they reloaded in the draft and FA.  The Jets were 7-9 last year, the Cowboys 8-8.  Not sure one wants to argue a huge difference between 8-8 and 7-9 or even 9-7 (the Rams and Eagles).  The big question is going to be whether the new Cowboys HC is "all that", and we don't know yet.

so they beat a garbage eagles squad and a cowboys team that, lets be honest, should be winless. I'm failing to see how this is so much more impressive than ours. SLIGHTLY? Sure, they can have that. BIG WHOOP....The cowboys and eagles are only impressive at this point in brand name and label. thats about it.

I get you're just the messenger, but some of what these reporters say to swing narrative just looks silly.

• Like (+1) 1