Week 3: Rams at Bills

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

@Chandler#81, with all respect...outside "the Belistrator" where he actually does show opponents plays and do some diagramming, my recollection of the knowledge the Evil Lord shows about his opponent's players is to say in a dead flat monotone, "Good player..." "Good player..." "Excellent player..." "Good player"

Where are all these colorful and informative Belicheck pressers to which you refer?

I’m sorry you missed them. Watch them, then watch Sean. Different Leagues.

I certainly expected to get flamed for my view. No one has offered any argument. I’m sure he’s not going to change, so if I don’t watch them and just read discussions about them here, all will be good.

Enjoy him!

I can’t.

28 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

IMO, this week comes down to HC vs HC.

In 2017 the two hottest coaching candidates were Sean McD and Sean McV.

Sean McD, the cultural guru with a defensive background

Sean McV, the offensive hot rod

Teams look pretty evenly matched on paper. Let's see who out-prepares and out-maneuvers who.

There can be only ONE SEAN MC

To expand on this, I like our coordinators better than theirs.

I'll take Daboll and Frazier over *checks notes* Kevin O'Connell and Brandon Staley.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My biggest fear this week isnt Aaron Donald.

It's Bob Woods.

Dude is a killer and I know he'll be a little extra motivated coming back to Buffalo.

I don't know about "extra motivated" -- it's not like the Bills cut him.  He'll probably be a bit melancholy about it, and miss that there are no fans because he knows what a great atmosphere it is.  I doubt he holds any ill will or thinks he needs to "get back at" the Bills.

Just now, eball said:

I don't know about "extra motivated" -- it's not like the Bills cut him.  He'll probably be a bit melancholy about it, and miss that there are no fans because he knows what a great atmosphere it is.  I doubt he holds any ill will or thinks he needs to "get back at" the Bills.

I dont think it's any ill will at all, but I imagine there is always a little bit more edge when going back to old teams.

39 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m sorry you missed them. Watch them, then watch Sean. Different Leagues.

I certainly expected to get flamed for my view. No one has offered any argument. I’m sure he’s not going to change, so if I don’t watch them and just read discussions about them here, all will be good.

Enjoy him!

I can’t.

You will get flamed - but actually, I've been thinking about McD this week and whether this might be a statement game for him.  Sean McVeigh gets a ton of credit (rightfully) for being a young wiz coach.  McDermott is in the same general age and experience bracket and, while he's considered "solid" and "up and coming," he's not fawned over like McV is.  If McD has any ego (and most good coaches do), he's eager to show on Sunday that he can match wits with McV, that his defensive acumen is up to par with McV's offensive acumen, etc.  Put another way - McD might not know who the Rams' players are but he DEFINITELY knows who their coach is and doesn't want to get embarrassed by him in a battle of first-place teams.  Sneaky interesting theme for this week that nobody is talking about.

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dude is a killer and I know he'll be a little extra motivated coming back to Buffalo.

Interesting - would you say he's "f**'ing crazy"?

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

@Hapless Bills Fan,

Here’s two. Yes, he’s a mumbler and gives pithy, sarcastic responses to dumb questions. But he’s brilliantly informed and shares this without giving away his strategy. 

I’m envious, though Sean will not likely ever be this informed. To his mumbling persona, as Marv was fond of saying, Once you get a reputation as an early riser, you can sleep til noon..

https://youtu.be/LO3xVsfvi1k

14 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

@Hapless Bills Fan,

Here’s two. Yes, he’s a mumbler and gives pithy, sarcastic responses to dumb questions. But he’s brilliantly informed and shares this without giving away his strategy. 

I’m envious, though Sean will not likely ever be this informed. To his mumbling persona, as Marv was fond of saying, Once you get a reputation as an early riser, you can sleep til noon..

Do you think Wednesday pressers are really a true sign of a coach's league knowledge and football acumen?  Like McDermott is literally sharing the extent of his knowledge every opportunity he gets?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Do you think Wednesday pressers are really a true sign of a coach's league knowledge and football acumen?  Like McDermott is literally sharing the extent of his knowledge every opportunity he gets?

Thank you for asking. Yes, it should be.. But his lack of being able to express any knowledge he may have of his upcoming opponent has been evident since his introductory press conference.

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m sorry but I can’t stand the way McDermott eats his dinner. All mouth closed, efficiently chewing and gently whiping his mouth clear of any juices and excess food.

If you watch Belichick eat he does so in a way where there isn’t any danger of food leaking out past his beautifully formed mouth. All class and he knows the exact nutritional value of what he’s fuelling his body with.

That loser McDermott just looks at his grub and wonders if it’s good for a wrestler. Doesn’t even check to see the brand of ketchup he haphazardly smothers his fries

with. 

Anyway, to stop myself getting angry I just don’t bother watching him eat anymore as doing the same thing over and over getting the same bad result is the definition of madness. 

Go Bills 👍 

Edited by BritBill
  • Haha (+1) 5

32 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You will get flamed - but actually, I've been thinking about McD this week and whether this might be a statement game for him.  Sean McVeigh gets a ton of credit (rightfully) for being a young wiz coach.  McDermott is in the same general age and experience bracket and, while he's considered "solid" and "up and coming," he's not fawned over like McV is.  If McD has any ego (and most good coaches do), he's eager to show on Sunday that he can match wits with McV, that his defensive acumen is up to par with McV's offensive acumen, etc.  Put another way - McD might not know who the Rams' players are but he DEFINITELY knows who their coach is and doesn't want to get embarrassed by him in a battle of first-place teams.  Sneaky interesting theme for this week that nobody is talking about.

I can see this entering into McD's mind, even subconsciously, but I'll disagree with you on one thing -- he absolutely knows who the Rams' players are.

20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

@Hapless Bills Fan,

I’m envious, though Sean will not likely ever be this informed. To his mumbling persona, as Marv was find of saying, Once you get a reputation as an early riser, you can sleep til noon..

Thats just Bill's ego. He has to feel like the smartest person in the room. McD could give 2 *****. NE has been filled with big ego pricks for as long as i can remember. It worked for them(minus the cheating) so cool, but id rather have our team. No one person is bigger then the other. All are in this together. Go Bills!

51 minutes ago, eball said:

I strongly disagree.  Go back and read every preseason prognostication for the Bills.  The only question mark raised is Josh Allen.  Phrases like "the Bills will only go as far as Josh Allen takes them" abound.

The casual fan knows Buffalo went to the playoffs last year and "should" have beaten Houston.

I don't pay attention to BBFS-stricken Bills fans because that's just a mentality that needs to go away.

When your QB comes out and puts up historic numbers against any NFL defense for two weeks it's enough to definitively say "he hasn't reached his peak."  If you can't see that, I'm sorry.

Your original statement was "No "expert" out there is skeptical of the Bills as a franchise that has reached the upper echelon of the NFL."

The key words here are "expert" and "upper echelon".   What do those that mean to you?  To me, that means the top 5 teams in the NFL - the ones who will be playing for the AFC/NFC championship.  It doesn't mean the top third of the league.   It means to me, we have a shot to win a championship, or at least to go deep into the playoffs.  And not only do I see experts skeptical of this, they right out dismiss it.  They see us as a fringe playoff team - "One and Done"

You advise me to read "every" preseason prognostication.  I guess everybody's an expert?  That's not gonna happen, but I'll do a few, from major outlets:

1. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29711236/2020-nfl-power-rankings-1-32-preseason-poll-plus-hot-seat#BUF

Bills #11 (after Chiefs, Ravens, 49ers, Saints, Seahawks, Bucs, Packers, Cowboys, and Titans; Just about Eagles, Steelers, and Colts).  Maybe #11 says "reached the upper echelon" to you.  Doesn't to me.

2. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-win-totals-odds-predictions-best-bets-proven-model-picks-under-9-wins-for-packers/

Baltimore Ravens 11.5
Kansas City Chiefs 11.5
New Orleans Saints 10.5
San Francisco 49ers 10.5
Dallas Cowboys 9.5
Philadelphia Eagles 9.5
Seattle Seahawks 9.5
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 9.5
New England Patriots 9.5 
Green Bay Packers 9
Minnesota Vikings 9
Buffalo Bills 9
Pittsburgh Steelers 9
Indianapolis Colts 9 
Chicago Bears 8.5
Cleveland Browns 8.5

This is the "Sportsline Projection Model".  Again, maybe #12 and 9 wins says "reached upper echelon" to you, doesn't to me

3.https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-predictions-2020-picks-standings/gbkss4gavk481j3bbmammcuxr (9/10/2020)

Has us about 9th overall in record (behind Chiefs, Bucs, Ravens, Saints, Eagles, and on par w/ Steelers, Cowboys, and Viks).... winning the AFC East with a 10-6 record....and losing in the WC round of the playoffs...to the Patriots.  Losing another WC round does not say "upper echelon" to me.

I think your perception that no expert is skeptical of the Bills as "upper echelon", or is skeptical only so far as they're skeptical of Allen, may not map up against what these guys actually believe.

And come to think of it "only as far as Josh Allen takes them" is a pretty strong degree of skepticism.  Do you really think two strong wins against teams regarded as bad or mediocre changes all that?  Certainly a number of other QB we wouldn't accept as "Mr Franchise" if they came with a free Grubhub of Duff's Wings with Blue Cheese have had two strong games......Whether you like it or don't, Josh needs to show this improved level of play more consistently than for 2 games to show "he hasn't reached his peak".  If you can't see that, Oh Well.

Again - I'm not saying these rankings of the bills are correct - I sure as hell hope they aren't, and I think putting a bunch of those teams up ahead of us is biased...certainly if Josh keeps up with the improvements he showed the first two games and doesn't get injured if he continues to go around trucking linebackers, The Sky's the Limit!

My point is that I believe your perception of how experts view the Bills and Josh Allen is skewed, and to dismiss anyone who doesn't see 2 games as "definitive proof" is just silly.