Week 3: Rams at Bills

YoloinOhio

Just now, Greg S said:

Even if Ramsey does a good job against Diggs they still have to worry about Brown and Beasley. Josh has a lot of options at his disposal.

More encouraging is that he is using them.  Eight different receivers in each of the first two games.  Take away one, he'll go to another.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, eball said:

More encouraging is that he is using them.  Eight different receivers in each of the first two games.  Take away one, he'll go to another.

Yup. I know its only 2 games but you can see Josh is a lot more confident in the pocket. He didn't even run that much against Miami. The game appears to be slowing down for him.

6 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Yup. I know its only 2 games but you can see Josh is a lot more confident in the pocket. He didn't even run that much against Miami. The game appears to be slowing down for him.

The game has been steadily slowing down for him since he returned from his elbow injury in his rookie year. While his critics have been harping on his inaccuracy and turnovers, they’ve been missing this aspect of his development. Some people just don’t understand how green he was coming out. I’ve always been a proponent of the “thousand attempts” school of development and Josh is ahead of schedule, imo. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, AirAllenPower said:

You do realize Davis is a wr

You do realize Knox is a te

You do realize 4 wr sets are replacing knox 

I'll just leave the facts out here:

1) The Bills were not 100% 1-0 sets in either game.  They fielded 1-1 and a scattering of others

2) In 1-1 sets, the TE was Knox until he went out, then it was Kroft

3) Daboll will not be replacing Knox with Davis in those 1-1 sets because, as you astutely point out, Davis is a WR not a TE. 

Nor is he likely to eliminate the use of 1-1 sets because they have a purpose such as the TE functioning as an additional blocker or H-back, which is how I saw Knox lining up a lot these past 2 games.  Gilliam just doesn't have the blocking chops yet.  It'll be Kroft.

4) Therefore Davis will not be replacing Knox, Kroft will.

If the point is that the Bills ran more 1-0 and fewer 1-1 sets the last two games, that's correct, and yes DURR when it's a 1-0 set it means there's no TE on the field, but I expect Daboll to vary that game by game depending upon how he views the favorable matchups with each opponent. 

Now I think I'm outta here, because it's dripping out of your word choice that you aren't about football discussion, you're wanting to thump your chest and be right.

39 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Should be a good matchup on Sunday because Diggs can match him trash talk for trash talk on the field. Diggs is one of the most self-confident, competitive players I’ve seen and I don’t know if Ramsey is used to that kind of opponent. Have they faced each other in the past?

EDIT: In ‘16, the Jags played the Vikings and Diggs had 3 for 55 yards while Ramsey had one tackle and an assist in a game the Vikings won. Doesn’t say much and that’s the only game I can find where their teams faced each other. 

29 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah should be fun. Diggs is so much fun to watch. A quick search showed they likely played once, when Ramsey was a rook. The Vikings won. Diggs had 3-55 including a 45 yarder. Not sure about the coverages though.

Sam Bradford was QB, targeted Diggs on 5 plays, sailed most over Diggs head even though he was always open. Diggs stretched out for the long completion - if the ball was on target it's a 59 yd TD.  Had another 20 yd completion that was wiped out by a holding call, and got lit up by Ramsey because of another airmailed Bradford pass.  There's probably bad blood between the two because Ramsey got flagged for PF for slamming Diggs to the ground well after the whistle. 

• Thank you (+1) 5

47 minutes ago, GG said:

Sam Bradford was QB, targeted Diggs on 5 plays, sailed most over Diggs head even though he was always open. Diggs stretched out for the long completion - if the ball was on target it's a 59 yd TD.  Had another 20 yd completion that was wiped out by a holding call, and got lit up by Ramsey because of another airmailed Bradford pass.  There's probably bad blood between the two because Ramsey got flagged for PF for slamming Diggs to the ground well after the whistle. 

Oh, this is nice to hear. It’s gonna be a great matchup, potentially epic.

1 hour ago, GG said:

Bradford killed his WR, I tell ya

Football Outsiders analysis of the Rams

Jared Goff is -- to steal a Ben Muth quote we posted in Audibles in Week 1 -- a JUGS machine playing quarterback. You point him the right way and hope nobody hits him before the throw goes off. There's nothing entertaining about him. He crumples whenever what has been pre-diagnosed falls apart.

So it brings me no great pleasure to report that the Rams are at it again behind a more complex McVay offense and a running attack that is working without Todd Gurley. 

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, eball said:

BBFS is a powerful force.  Do not succumb to the dark side.

We squeaked by the Dolphins and needed to come from behind in the 4th.  The next 4 weeks we will be facing stronger opponents.  In fact, we will be playing stronger opponents until we see Miami and the Jets again.  

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Jared Goff is -- to steal a Ben Muth quote we posted in Audibles in Week 1 -- a JUGS machine playing quarterback. You point him the right way and hope nobody hits him before the throw goes off. There's nothing entertaining about him. He crumples whenever what has been pre-diagnosed falls apart.

If this is true, our outlook for Sunday is good. We excel at disguising coverages. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

rams are a top 5 team in the league 

Based on 2 games?  Not hardly enough to pronounce IMO.

Even then, depends on your metric. 

Rams:

Defense: points allowed 5.  yards allowed 18.

Offense: points scored 8.  yards gained 5.

Bills:

Defense: points allowed 13.  yards allowed 5.

Offense: points scored 6.  yards gained 3.

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

this will be a massive test. just hope Allen has another strong day but without Edwards and Milano I can't see us winning this one. defense looks lost without them. 

You must be a blast at a party :rolleyes:

For values of "lost" equal to 5th in yards allowed and 13th in points allowed, Sure. 

Bills: #3 in rush yards allowed (Rams #20)

Bills: #20 in pass yards allowed (Rams #17)

We scored more points than the other team at the end of the day, that's what matters.  The Rams have some great players. 

But I sure as heck hope the players aren't taking your pre-petrified attitude into the game with them because I see no reason.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Based on 2 games?  Not hardly enough to pronounce IMO.

Even then, depends on your metric. 

Rams:

Defense: points allowed 5.  yards allowed 18.

Offense: points scored 8.  yards gained 5.

Bills:

Defense: points allowed 13.  yards allowed 5.

Offense: points scored 6.  yards gained 3.

You must be a blast at a party :rolleyes:

For values of "lost" equal to 5th in yards allowed and 13th in points allowed, Sure. 

Bills: #3 in rush yards allowed (Rams #20)

Bills: #20 in pass yards allowed (Rams #17)

We scored more points than the other team at the end of the day, that's what matters.  The Rams have some great players. 

But I sure as heck hope the players aren't taking your pre-petrified attitude into the game with them because I see no reason.

I’m not on the same page with, Penfield. I believe we can win without them but they just gave up 28 pts and 400+ yds in the full game they were missing both for the duration so citing their cumulative yardage ranking through both games is sort of misleading, correct? 

it doesn’t take a pro to see the D looked very vulnerable without those 2 key cogs. 

14 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m not on the same page with, Penfield. I believe we can win without them but they just gave up 28 pts and 400+ yds in the full game they were missing both for the duration so citing their cumulative yardage ranking through both games is sort of misleading, correct? 

it doesn’t take a pro to see the D looked very vulnerable without those 2 key cogs. 

Agree with you as I just rewatched the Dolphin’s game.  Fitz picked on Wallace the whole game and targeted the hash marks with his throws.  Question for the board:  What are the responsibilities of our MLB and OLB Schematically for our defense?  It seemed like the Dolphins were using play action to draw the linebackers up and then Fitz would throw behind them.  Additionally, I’d like to point out that they successfully targeted White too on a few plays.  Maybe Fitz was just on but it seemed like they were attacking our defensive scheme with the gameplan.