SNF: Patriots at Seahawks

YoloinOhio

Monday morning reflections.... 

1. New England has upgraded at Quarterback. Cam looked like Cam. He made plays with his legs, he threw the ball down the field with good velocity and zip, he stared down a receiver and threw a bad pick. That is who Cam is. But at the moment he looks a better player than the shell playing Quarterback in Tampa. 

2. Cam is also not going to be phased by the lack of skill position talent around him. He rarely had much help from his receivers in Carolina and while he did have one of the best tight ends in the game at the time in Olsen he is used to making do on the outside. His best receiver his MVP year was Ted Ginn Jr for heaven's sake! He has always been a QB who elevates those around him.

3. Russell Wilson continues to be the best thing about Seattle and it really isn't close. The throw to DK Metcalf for the touchdown over Gilmore was a thing of absolute beauty. 

4. Seattle's problem is in the trenches. Their defensive line got moved about most of the day by New England. They made the play on the goalline at the end but they didn't make many others during the game. And their offensive line struggled to protect Russ though it did decent enough job in the run game. Not sure there are a more talent deficient combination of starting o and d lines in the league than the Seahawks. 

5. New England's biggest weakness is the front 7 on defense. They could not defend the flats at all and they were too easy for Seattle to run on. Thinking ahead for the Bills that is a week for the running backs I think... both running it but also catching the ball out of the backfield. 

6. Another outstanding football game. I wasn't convinced either of these were playoff teams before the season. In both cases I am now reconsidering that position.... especially Seattle with half of San Francisco's roster headed for IR. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Patriots still own this division until otherwise 

they still look strong as ever, and with our injuries on defense who knows what will happen this season. McD has had awful games against Belicheck 

Dude, is there ANYTHING you're right about?

You trying to supplant ScottLaw as the board wet blanket or something?

7 hours ago, Putin said:

Yes our offense looked terrible today  , and our defense sucks , will be lucky to win 5 games 

That clown was in the GDT predicting a 6-10 season.

Wilson threw a bomb on 4th and 1 for a TD last week and people said it was brilliant.

Allen threw bombs on 2nd and 3rd down up by 4 with < 4 minutes against Miami.

if it works you’re a genius (Wilson last week, Allen on 3rd down) otherwise WTF how can you make such a bad decision (Wilson this week, Allen on 2nd down)

3 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Wilson threw a bomb on 4th and 1 for a TD last week and people said it was brilliant.

Allen threw bombs on 2nd and 3rd down up by 4 with < 4 minutes against Miami.

if it works you’re a genius (Wilson last week, Allen on 3rd down) otherwise WTF how can you make such a bad decision (Wilson this week, Allen on 2nd down)

Doesn't matter what you call - you need your players to execute. When they do it makes every decision look smart.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

This is the same thing as the lateral with Allen and Jackson if it works it doesn't matter if it was a stupid idea.

True although the Allen lateral wasn't a called play exactly.... but you are still right.... if that play works then of course the view of it is different.

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

So here's the deal with the Patriots. They're just a solid team now. They won't have that end of half, end of game edge that they did before, and they won't have the comeback ability that they had before. That's the difference between Newton and Brady, and it's going to make all the difference. You're going to be able to bury this team.

Plus they have never had to deal with the new and improved Josh Allen with added Diggs.

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I just watched that Game in 40 replay and just want to say that Russel Wilson is so good that it is not even fair.

Cam Newton looked pretty good to me to. 

Bot defenses seemed to be average at best.

Their defense might not be great but that was really good offensive football.  Wilson is locked in and that’s the best Cam has looked in 3 years.  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Doesn't matter what you call - you need your players to execute. When they do it makes every decision look smart.

Disagree here.  That last play call was one of the dumbest decision in recent memory.  Why don’t you spread the field and let Cam have the option of running or passing?

good for us. So dumb for NE.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Disagree here.  That last play call was one of the dumbest decision in recent memory.  Why don’t you spread the field and let Cam have the option of running or passing?

good for us. So dumb for NE.

I was actually on about the Seattle throw on 3rd down. Some playcalls are obviously better than others but if your players execute even a bad call you get away with it. That was the point. Sometimes you get the process wrong and the right outcome. New England got the process wrong and the wrong outcome. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Monday morning reflections.... 

1. New England has upgraded at Quarterback. Cam looked like Cam. He made plays with his legs, he threw the ball down the field with good velocity and zip, he stared down a receiver and threw a bad pick. That is who Cam is. But at the moment he looks a better player than the shell playing Quarterback in Tampa. 

2. Cam is also not going to be phased by the lack of skill position talent around him. He rarely had much help from his receivers in Carolina and while he did have one of the best tight ends in the game at the time in Olsen he is used to making do on the outside. His best receiver his MVP year was Ted Ginn Jr for heaven's sake! He has always been a QB who elevates those around him.

3. Russell Wilson continues to be the best thing about Seattle and it really isn't close. The throw to DK Metcalf for the touchdown over Gilmore was a thing of absolute beauty. 

4. Seattle's problem is in the trenches. Their defensive line got moved about most of the day by New England. They made the play on the goalline at the end but they didn't make many others during the game. And their offensive line struggled to protect Russ though it did decent enough job in the run game. Not sure there are a more talent deficient combination of starting o and d lines in the league than the Seahawks. 

5. New England's biggest weakness is the front 7 on defense. They could not defend the flats at all and they were too easy for Seattle to run on. Thinking ahead for the Bills that is a week for the running backs I think... both running it but also catching the ball out of the backfield. 

6. Another outstanding football game. I wasn't convinced either of these were playoff teams before the season. In both cases I am now reconsidering that position.... especially Seattle with half of San Francisco's roster headed for IR. 

Makes everyone else better?  Dude just ran a lot.  Under 60% completion, under 4k pass yards, double digit INTs.  MVP usually just goes to the QB of the team with the best record (unless some RB breaks an important record), and the Panthers were a hair away from being the #1 defense in the league.  2+2=...

7 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Makes everyone else better?  Dude just ran a lot.  Under 60% completion, under 4k pass yards, double digit INTs.  MVP usually just goes to the QB of the team with the best record (unless some RB breaks an important record), and the Panthers were a hair away from being the #1 defense in the league.  2+2=...

They were the top scoring offense with Ted Ginn and Devin Funchess..... yes. Cam made the people around him better in that offense.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I just watched that Game in 40 replay and just want to say that Russel Wilson is so good that it is not even fair.

Cam Newton looked pretty good to me to. 

Bot defenses seemed to be average at best.

Seattle's pass D has given up 831 yards.  Worse in the league.

Patriots are for real. Despite the close loss they are still a contender for this division. The Bills are going to have to win 2 out of the next 3 going into that KC game. Winning 2 out of 3 puts you at 4-1, a loss to KC puts you at 4-2 and then you can fatten up against the Jets and go to 5-2 heading into a matchup with NE. That matchup with NE week 8 is going to be so critical to this teams success. I think that if they can get to 6-2 by week 8 beating NE they will be set up for a good stretch. Yes the back half of the schedule isn't easy but hey good teams beat other good teams.

Somewhat related - I listened to the SiriusXM feed for the 1st half, and Mike Holmgren is a brutal color analyst.  He added zero perspective to someone who wasn't watching the game.   The lost art of commentary for non-watchers :(