Need to trade for a pass rusher

Ok maybe you all watched a different game than I did. 

Here is what I saw. Defense gave up 28 points and it could have been 31 or 35 if Dolphins go for FG or don't drop a TD pass(though he may not have crossed the line). Bills were losing to Dolphins in 4th quarter with a defense that could not get off the field. 

No pass rush with just four guys. Oliver had a nice hustle sack after falling to the ground and Poyer had a nice blitz sack. 

One turnover in two games. They won't beat better teams without a pass rush and forcing turnovers. 

The Bills had Bruce Smith when they traded for Bennett. This team finally has an offense to compete. Go get a difference maker on defense. 

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

and a total lack of quality depth.  if the scheme runs through those players, we need better depth.  

That was my thought today. The middle of the field was a sieve. Hard to watch someone like Fitz tear us up. What will a real QB do if Milano and Edmunds are not 100% and missing multiple games.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

It's not panic. It's about going all in to win now while Allen is cheap, playing well, and they finally have the skill players to win.

If you are making this after two weeks, yes its a panic.  Fitz and Gailey have always had an offense that gets the ball out quickly.

Fitz has incredible games in his career.  I believe he is the only QB in NFL history to throw for 400 yards 3 straight games.  He just isn’t consistent.

Your patience is terrible.  It’s two games....

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The problem today was not pass rush. It was coverage. Edmunds is so vital to our scheme. It allows us to help Wallace out with safety help more regularly.

I thought we blitzed too much. Again think it was an attempt to adjust to our personnel.

Couldn't agree more. I was really disappointed with coverage, even considering the context. 

39 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Ethan, Ethan, Ethan... really?

Go Bills!!!

You just get used to it eventually......

I expected problems in intermediate coverage. We were missing two of  our best players on defense.

Fitz is no dummy. To me the key was the offense stepping up to earn a win for a change. I like a lot of what I saw. 

We won, we are 2-0 with 2 wins in division, and I’m HAPPY! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you are making this after two weeks, yes its a panic.  Fitz and Gailey have always had an offense that gets the ball out quickly.

Fitz has incredible games in his career.  I believe he is the only QB in NFL history to throw for 400 yards 3 straight games.  He just isn’t consistent.

Your patience is terrible.  It’s two games....

Ok I will check back in before the trade deadline.

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Here is what I saw. Defense gave up 28 points and it could have been 31 or 35 if Dolphins go for FG or don't drop a TD pass(though he may not have crossed the line). Bills were losing to Dolphins in 4th quarter with a defense that could not get off the field. 

No pass rush with just four guys. Oliver had a nice hustle sack after falling to the ground and Poyer had a nice blitz sack. 

One turnover in two games. They won't beat better teams without a pass rush and forcing turnovers. 

The Bills had Bruce Smith when they traded for Bennett. This team finally has an offense to compete. Go get a difference maker on defense. 

I saw 3 second passing attack that abused slant routes on levi Wallace and no milano and no tre so a pass rusher wouldnt of helped here cause he was getting the ball out too quick 

• Like (+1) 2

If anything, I'd like another corner. But I've been saying that since the start of the 2nd round of the draft.

Either way. Our defense has looked stellar at times. Today they played without their 2 starting Pro-Bowl caliber (yeah, I said it) linebackers. Another poster here mentioned it, but McDermott's defense, and Beane's team defense building, is based on star linebackers and corners (Kuechly, Davis, Norman in Carolina) and big strong linemen over quick pass rushers.

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You’re saying that we NEED to trade for a pass rusher.  

you act as if Milano and Edmunds we’re playing.  That’s why we gave up so many points today.  Plain and simple.  Dotson played a nice first half, but Frazier had to shade help differently today because our two best LBers weren’t there.  

one must also give Fitz a LOT of credit. He was throwing perfect passes out there today.  An absolute gem of a game he played imo