Was this the best Bills QB stat game ever?

Kelly the Dog

21 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't think the Bills have ever had a 500 yard game. 24-35, 417 yards with 4 TDS and 0 INT and 0 fumbles, only 1 sack for 4 yards, a 147 rating and a fourth quarter comeback victory, it's hard to imagine a better statistical game. Anyone? Bueller? 

The No punt game against San Fran by Kelly  403 yards and 3 TD's was a pretty good one.

But Young threw for 598

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The No punt game against San Fran by Kelly  488 yards and 3 TD's was a pretty good one

I was at that game. Most fun game I ever saw live. Kelly threw for 403 though. Total yards for team was 488. And he threw an INT. This one was statistically better. Slightly. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199209130sfo.htm

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was at that game. Most fun game I ever saw live. Kelly threw for 403 though. Total yards for team was 488. And he threw an INT. This one was statistically better. Slightly. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199209130sfo.htm

OK the article I found with stats was a bit vague and didn't list INT's at all.

Based on that, agree Allen's game was better, though considering the era back then with less passing than today does get Kelly bonus points.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Six touchdowns tough to beat. He threw two INT though, and 117 rating. Tough to say. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't think the Bills have ever had a 500 yard game. 24-35, 417 yards with 4 TDS and 0 INT and 0 fumbles, only 1 sack for 4 yards, a 147 rating and a fourth quarter comeback victory, it's hard to imagine a better statistical game. Anyone? Bueller? 

Can’t remember one better off the top of my head

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Six touchdowns tough to beat. He threw two INT though, and 117 rating. Tough to say. 

Also need to double check if the rating system/points is the same for back then vs now? I know ESPN changed it up a few years back?

Mind you I love having this discussion over best Bills QB performances of all time!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

My personal favorite, having grown up in Western PA Steeler country...

https://www.wivb.com/sports/tbt-jim-kelly-throws-6-tds-vs-steelers-in-week-2-of-1991-season/

Great memories of that game, NoHuddle! I saw that game at the old Bills fan club at the Fours Bar in Boston. It was so crowded with Bills fans that I (and my unhappy, non-Buffalonian "date") were smashed up against the front plate-glass window. When Don Beebe scored his third (or fourth touchdown), the place exploded so loudly I swear that window buckled. I thought we were going to end up on the street in a pile of glass. I don't think I saw that girl again  ...  :D 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Stranded in Boston said:

Great memories of that game, NoHuddle! I saw that game at the old Bills fan club at the Fours Bar in Boston. It was so crowded with Bills fans that I (and my unhappy, non-Buffalonian "date") were smashed up against the front plate-glass window. When Don Beebe scored his third (or fourth touchdown), the place exploded so loudly I swear that window buckled. I thought we were going to end up on the street in a pile of glass. I don't think I saw that girl again  ...  :D 

you dodged a bullet there, clearly :w00t:

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

How could Young throw for 598? The record is just over 550. 

You are correct.  What I read was:

Steve Young – who is playing in place of the injured Montana – and the rest of his still very potent 49er teammates responded with an incredible 598 yards.

And read that as that was Young's passing yards, missed the word "teammates".  Further down just saw it states Young through for 449

• Like (+1) 1