Who gets promoted when Daboll becomes a HC?

Bangarang

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Seems inevitable that Daboll will be a hot commodity for teams this offseason.

Who do we promote once that happens? Ken Dorsey probably makes the most sense and seems like the obvious choice. Rob Boras has OC experience though, albeit for a mediocre Rams team.

You’d have to imagine McD will promote from within to keep the system the same.

Totally premature.   Let’s win a division and playoff game before we worry about this.  

Yes, the offense is progressing.    Nice to see us win but that was Miami, an improving team but a bottom 1/3 or bottom 1/4 team in this league.  

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Who do we promote once that happens? Ken Dorsey probably makes the most sense and seems like the obvious choice. Rob Boras has OC experience though, albeit for a mediocre Rams team.

This post , while maybe not so timely lol is to be taken seriously. Daboll has been a whipping boy in these parts but he is a great coach, one who Allen seems to love. Daboll coached for Belichick and Saban, perhaps the 2 best coaches ever. They thought highly of him as does Allen, but many of us complain about him.

I agree with you in that he is gone after this season. I hope we win now!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

We are 2-0 and beat two teams we should beat. Let’s actually go do something first like win the division or a playoff game. Daboll still has a lot to prove before I seriously think he is HC material. Sorry this season is all about prove it first for me. Love how they are trending thus far.

Kind of funny though, 3 or 4 years ago the rage was to hire these young offensive minds, Doug Pederson, Sean McVay,  Adam Gase, Shanahan, etc.  The Bills were ripped by many here for hiring another defensive guy.  Seems though many of these offensive wiz's haven't exactly worked out that well as head coaches.   Shannahan and McVay are still looking good, but the luster has worn off some from where it was 2 years ago or so.  It might be while their creativeness bodes well as a coordinator, it just doesn't translate as well as expected to the HC role.  Meanwhile McD is looking like a great hire.  The other guy who also came more from the defensive side that seems to be doing a pretty impressive job IMO with little talent overall is Brain Flores.   I'm sure there are some exceptions of these young guys I've forgotten who have suceeded, but overall didn't seem to work out as well as expected.

Having said that I wonder if Daboll's hire as a HC will be as likely as expected, and more importantly, will it work?

Not sure he is HC material or will even be in demand.  Here are the teams and their odds that they will be hiring a new HC in January:

Jets 95%

Detroit 75%

Falcons 75%

Jags 75%

Broncos 50%

Texans 25%

That's it.  Jags I can see promoting their OC Gruden.  If they replace Doug.  He's gotten this far.  Only one of those can I see the fit and that's the Broncos.  But they just went the coordinator route.  They'll look at HC experience.  

Let's worry about this in January.  Next week we may want to fire him.  

Edited by Big Blitz

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Not thinking Daboll is the lime-light kind of guy stand in front of the team and reporters kind of guy; he's more a film room and practice X's and O's kind of guy who is more effective watching and calling plays from the booth.

Who says he would even want a gig like that... I can't see it being nothing but a pain and a poor fit for him, but I guess a few million can buy a lot of pain killers so who knows :)

Will burn that bridge once we cross it.

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Kind of funny though, 3 or 4 years ago the rage was to hire these young offensive minds, Doug Pederson, Sean McVay,  Adam Gase, Shanahan, etc.  The Bills were ripped by many here for hiring another defensive guy.  Seems though many of these offensive wiz's haven't exactly worked out that well as head coaches.   Shannahan and McVay are still looking good, but the luster has worn off some from where it was 2 years ago or so.  It might be while their creativeness bodes well as a coordinator, it just doesn't translate as well as expected to the HC role.  Meanwhile McD is looking like a great hire.  The other guy who also came more from the defensive side that seems to be doing a pretty impressive job IMO with little talent overall is Brain Flores.   I'm sure there are some exceptions of these young guys I've forgotten who have suceeded, but overall didn't seem to work out as well as expected.

Having said that I wonder if Daboll's hire as a HC will be as likely as expected, and more importantly, will it work?

Have not worked out ...

Pederson won a SuperBowl

McVay got his team to a SuperBowl

Shanahan got his team to a SuperBowl

Gase is total garbage no argument there

McD is 0 and 2 in the playoffs.  

Daboll will be on some short lists if Bills keep playing well. He has Belichick and Nick Saban ties so he will get a look if he keeps doing well from both college and pro teams. I might be more worried about a college team given the more recent ties to Saban

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Have not worked out ...

Pederson won a SuperBowl

McVay got his team to a SuperBowl

Shanahan got his team to a SuperBowl

Gase is total garbage no argument there

McD is 0 and 2 in the playoffs.  

Daboll will be on some short lists if Bills keep playing well. He has Belichick and Nick Saban ties so he will get a look if he keeps doing well from both college and pro teams. I might be more worried about a college team given the more recent ties to Saban

Yea Gase sucks, but the others have been pretty successful. I suppose Matt Nagy is the other name you would throw in there but Bears are 2-0 and he is still managing to manufacture offense despite being hamstrung by his QB.

I doubt very much Daboll is leaving the Bills for a college HC job if Josh keeps on at this pace. He either gets an NFL HC job (I think he would) or he thinks one more year of that and he is a shoe-in for an NFL HC job. Daboll wants to be an NFL Head Coach. Every move he has made in his career has been to try and make that a reality.