Josh Allen - week TWO report card

rayray808

15 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I pay attention; you give the ol like button to all the negative posts about him.  Where were you during the game?  You always show up when it's negative.  I'm gonna keep you and the rest of haters honest; no free crow for you.

WTF are you talking about? I thought Allen didn't play well in 2019. I didn't think he was as close to putting it all together as some other posters. He has played really well in the first two showings this year. So far this is gigantic leap from what we saw from him in 2019. I don't have any issues saying that. 

Is this your big "gotcha moment"? Mango liked other posts that agreed that Allen had a long way to go to be a viable option long term. Yeah, I did it, caught me red handed. I still agree with that from 2019. In 2020, he has come a long way so far. It is awesome!

The thing that encouraged me the most yesterday, by far, is that Allen won entirely as a passer.

I believe he had one five-yard run, and that was about it.

He won from the pocket, he won from outside the pocket. He won against pressure, he won against 7 and 8 man drops. He threw with touch, he threw with accuracy. 

Most importantly of all, he won as a passer. 

It was the first game that I can ever really remember from Allen where a huge part of his production wasn't from running or making crazy Josh Allen Experience plays. He just threw it all over the yard to the tune of 400 and 4. 

Love it.

52 minutes ago, Logic said:

The thing that encouraged me the most yesterday, by far, is that Allen won entirely as a passer.

I believe he had one five-yard run, and that was about it.

He won from the pocket, he won from outside the pocket. He won against pressure, he won against 7 and 8 man drops. He threw with touch, he threw with accuracy. 

Most importantly of all, he won as a passer. 

It was the first game that I can ever really remember from Allen where a huge part of his production wasn't from running or making crazy Josh Allen Experience plays. He just threw it all over the yard to the tune of 400 and 4. 

Love it.

He had 1 designed run where he slid when he needed to and another scramble where he sacrificed a linebacker to the football gods for this performance.

• Haha (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Mango said:

WTF are you talking about? I thought Allen didn't play well in 2019. I didn't think he was as close to putting it all together as some other posters. He has played really well in the first two showings this year. So far this is gigantic leap from what we saw from him in 2019. I don't have any issues saying that. 

Is this your big "gotcha moment"? Mango liked other posts that agreed that Allen had a long way to go to be a viable option long term. Yeah, I did it, caught me red handed. I still agree with that from 2019. In 2020, he has come a long way so far. It is awesome!

This is not unexpected for some people is the point.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, CSBill said:

Did you see Mahomes' game, he looked very human against the Chargers.

Did you see Rodgers last season? How about Brady last season? Brees is in the same category of stupidly good QBs - are you saying Allen should 100% have his name mentioned in that same tier after these last two games?   I'm not ready to throw a crown on Allen''s head for beating up the Jets and Phins.... but I've bought the crown just in case. 

1) QBs will have rough games

2) Mahomes - has been - and for the foreseeable future will remain - the most impressive pocket QB. He is really magical. Don't get me wrong - Allen has started out great and continues to show improvement.... but Allen is working his way to being a very good to great QB by normal standards. Mahomes is held to a completely different set of standards (partially due to his own ridiculous talent and partially due to the coaching/talent around him)

3) The Chargers D is very good - and - we can revisit this topic after we play them. As a team - they are loaded with talent and are only two years removed from a 12-4 campaign.

Again, I want to point out that I like Allen, I have liked him since year 1, was on board with the draft pick for him, and I will 100% be in his corner if we're talking about his future, improvements, underratedness, and all that. But he is no Mahomes. What Brady/Manning/Ben were for nearly two decades is what I imagine Mahomes/Jackson/Allen will be. 

29 minutes ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

Did you see Rodgers last season? How about Brady last season? Brees is in the same category of stupidly good QBs - are you saying Allen should 100% have his name mentioned in that same tier after these last two games?   I'm not ready to throw a crown on Allen''s head for beating up the Jets and Phins.... but I've bought the crown just in case. 

1) QBs will have rough games

2) Mahomes - has been - and for the foreseeable future will remain - the most impressive pocket QB. He is really magical. Don't get me wrong - Allen has started out great and continues to show improvement.... but Allen is working his way to being a very good to great QB by normal standards. Mahomes is held to a completely different set of standards (partially due to his own ridiculous talent and partially due to the coaching/talent around him)

3) The Chargers D is very good - and - we can revisit this topic after we play them. As a team - they are loaded with talent and are only two years removed from a 12-4 campaign.

Again, I want to point out that I like Allen, I have liked him since year 1, was on board with the draft pick for him, and I will 100% be in his corner if we're talking about his future, improvements, underratedness, and all that. But he is no Mahomes. What Brady/Manning/Ben were for nearly two decades is what I imagine Mahomes/Jackson/Allen will be. 

Burrows? Hebert?  do they factor in?

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Burrows? Hebert?  do they factor in?

I want to see a season (or more) on Burrows and Herbert (might as well throw Tua in there) before I give an honest evaluation. I'm currently more interested in

1) Tannehill - not as young but could be a force in Tenn - really seems to fit what they want to do there

2) Carr - Also not a young and I think better than people want to credit

3) Baker - I think he's good enough to honestly win a SB if he was in a good organization (and got some lucky bounces) - but I think he is stuck in an odd 2 step forward and 2 step back situation

4) Darnold - 100% think he's better than what we see and is being ruined by GASE and is currently regressing - time will tell if his career improves

5) Watson - Honestly, the Texans are the playoff gatekeepers of the AFC - the new Rivers/Chargers?

6) Lock - Was showing improvement - hope the injury isn't too bad - DEN clearly did for Lock what we did for Allen - needs more time to evaluate

7) Uncle Ricco - Can't tell if he's good or not - need more time - need to evaluate his supporting cast (possibly underrated)