Josh Allen - week TWO report card

rayray808

17 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I pay attention; you give the ol like button to all the negative posts about him.  Where were you during the game?  You always show up when it's negative.  I'm gonna keep you and the rest of haters honest; no free crow for you.

I rarely check the page during the game. Maybe if it’s out of hand, or I am curious about a call or Route. But almost ever. He wasn’t sharp all game. He was sharp for a good part of it, but not all of it. 4 TD’s and 400+ yards are what we all hoped he would be. So why would I come here to argue anybody?

Sounds like we are on the same page this week?

(Also, I hosted the game at my house this week. Watched the game outside on a 150” projector screen. It was awesome. Next time give me a heads up and I’ll make time for you and tell the friends to stay home) 

Edited by Mango

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

No

I think national pundits will swing fromAllen Truthers v. Allen Haters”, to great game “glad he’s arriving. Would love to see more consistency. The big argument will be that until he proves it consistently he hasn’t done it at all’s 

This will be a shift in his favor. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think national pundits will swing fromAllen Truthers v. Allen Haters”, to great game “glad he’s arriving. Would love to see more consistency. The big argument will be that until he proves it consistently he hasn’t done it at all’s 

This will be a shift in his favor. 

They don't say that about Kyler Murray.  They have him in the HOF already.  

But I agree - good as Allen was, greatness is defined by sustained excellence.   Allen has what it takes - now he has to show it consistently.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Yeah; you said accuracy can't be taught.   At least give you credit for being here unlike your brethren @C.Biscuit97, @Nextmanup, @BigDingus, @Mango, etc

Hey wait lol, I give Allen credit plenty, just as I am critical when I feel he should be criticized.

If I was trying to unfairly twist the plot, I'd just say what a friend of mine said today & claim "all Allen needed was a great offensive line, a great receiving corps & a top 3 defense to be good...gee, I wonder if other QB's would excel with that setup?!"

But no, this year Allen has shown a lot of improvement in one of his weakest areas (which he EARNED the criticism for), his passes 15 yards or deeper down field. The amount of times I've smiled today watching game highlights has been insane. I still am grinning thinking about the TD pass to Brown at the end. So ALL the credit in the world to Allen for making those passes.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1

I dont give A pluses

Its an A

6 hours ago, VW82 said:

A

You guys are easy graders. Josh's stats look great and we scored 30 points but there were still a lot of iffy throws, some of which killed drives and some of which we got a little lucky. I thought for sure that dropped INT on our five yard line was going to be a pick six.

Lots of big time throws though, and his connection with Diggs is proving to be a game changer. We have a passing offense! Yay!

There always has to be one of you

10 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Another fun fact: Allen is the 4th QB in NFL history to throw for 700+ yards with 6+ TDs and no INTs in the first 2 weeks of the season. The other 3? Manning, Brady and Mahomes.

Pretty good company to be in.

Yup.  The next chapter is start beating some of the good teams with consistency.   Last year while we beat a loaded Dallas team and a tough Titans team (whose kicker missed 5 FGs) we lost to the good teams (the ones that made the playoffs) like Baltimore, New England,  Philadelphia,    This year we have a slew of good times coming up (KC,  NE, Rams, Titans, 49ers, Seahawks and Steelers).   

10 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

The biggest take away from today honestly has been the clear improvement and strides JA has made since his rookie year. Everyone wants that instant Hall of Fame QB - we have a Good QB that is working his way up to being Dam Good. I just hope he continues to improve and that we don't let our first lose (whenever that is) bring us down.

Is JA perfect? No, clearly. He's also not Rodgers, or Mahomes. But I've got to tell you - with his current ability, lets just simplify it to something like 65-70% comp for a season - I truly believe we would be SB contenders with that alone and the team around him. 

Did you see Mahomes' game, he looked very human against the Chargers.

53 minutes ago, BillsToast said:

Today is the reason you don't give Allen an A+ last week because this week was an A+. Last week he did great, but it wasn't an A+.

Today is what an A+ looks like. He freaking owned today.

Exactly right. The people desperate to give an A last week asked what does an A look like.... it looks like that. Frankly he would have been an A last week but he turned the ball over twice as a runner. As a passer Josh has been outstanding the first two weeks.

3 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Did you see Mahomes' game, he looked very human against the Chargers.

He looked pretty darn good once the game was on the line though. I only saw the 4th Quarter of the game so will have to go back and watch Quarters 1-3 but when it mattered he played great.

• Like (+1) 2

Serious question— how do you all factor in some of the “near bad” plays? JA had 3 near interceptions: the Van Noy one, the high point throw to Diggs that went right through the defender’s hands, and the huge completion to Diggs on the last drive at the sideline That the announcers thought was close to being intercepted. 

he also had the fumble after the early whistle. 

I think he had an A+ performance, but if I am being honest, there were some close calls. 

13 hours ago, VW82 said:

Yeah maybe I was being a little hard on him. I changed it to an A. I think once the all 22 comes out we're going to see that he missed some stuff he probably shouldn't have and got away with some stuff he probably shouldn't have. We'll see. I might be wrong. 

He definitely made a lot of huge throws today and once again he came through down the stretch. Lots and lots to like. 

That happens to every QB every week. There are always plays missed and things gotten away with. 

3 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Serious question— how do you all factor in some of the “near bad” plays? JA had 3 near interceptions: the Van Noy one, the high point throw to Diggs that went right through the defender’s hands, and the huge completion to Diggs on the last drive at the sideline That the announcers thought was close to being intercepted. 

I think he had an A+ performance, but if I am being honest, there were some close calls. 

The only of those I consider a "near bad" play was the near pick 6 to Van Noy. Didn't love the design of that play or calling it there at least but Josh stared down Diggs all the way and was lazy with his throw. It happens. He got away with one. He won't be the only QB to do that this weekend.

He sucks, let’s get Nate Peterman back, no EJ Manuel, no Trent Edwards, no JP Loseman, oh yeah, he’s actually really good and getting better each year.  I was really surprised at the Josh hater last week, but to each his own.

I love the kid, and want him to do well.  You can’t help but root for Allen.  He is so Buffalo.

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

People say Allen’s placement makes catches difficult for his receivers; corollary would be it is also difficult for defenders. Now that his receivers are used to it, they can catch it but not the defenders.

It’s the next level of the next level of quarterbacking!

Edited by Ralonzo

The best moment for me is when Allen trots onto the field down 24-20 in the 4th, promptly drops a beautiful 50-yarder in the bucket to Diggs, and when Kroft gets all amped up in his face, Allen’s all “yeah okay man, here’s some love, but frankly I expected that and we’ve got work to do”.

There are things that only franchise QBs do. Walking onto the field in the fourth quarter when you haven’t scored a point or gained a first down in 24 minutes of play and proceeding to throw for 150 yards and 2 TDs like it’s no big deal is one of them.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The best moment for me is when Allen trots onto the field down 24-20 in the 4th, promptly drops a beautiful 50-yarder in the bucket to Diggs, and when Kroft gets all amped up in his face, Allen’s all “yeah okay man, here’s some love, but frankly I expected that and we’ve got work to do”.

There are things that only franchise QBs do. Walking onto the field in the fourth quarter when you haven’t scored a point or gained a first down in 24 minutes of play and proceeding to throw for 150 yards and 2 TDs like it’s no big deal is one of them.

I don't think it was quite 24 minutes. We did get a first down in the first drive of Q3. That was a 5 play drive. But they way that they came out having gone behind was very nice. IT felt like what I have seen teams do to the Bills over the years. You know? We claw our way back into a game where we are overmatched talent wise and then first play of their first possession when trailing the opponents hit the big play and you are like "well great they are already in field goal range." I definitely remember Rivers doing that to us in a Chargers game and I am sure it has happened against other teams too. Feels great to be the team doing the bullying now.