McD is a “conservative” coach...

eball

1 minute ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

They were a little over aggressive all day but the last series was ultra conservative.  A little tighter coverage and they force Fitz into sacks or a turnover instead of letting him go down the field in 2 minutes and get a cheap TD.

Probably an over-reaction by the coaches after the blitzes kept backfiring but goal was not to let them score quickly.

3 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

They were a little over aggressive all day but the last series was ultra conservative.  A little tighter coverage and they force Fitz into sacks or a turnover instead of letting him go down the field in 2 minutes and get a cheap TD.

In that scenario playing prevent makes sense. Ideally you want to stop them but the main goal is make sure if they score they are relying on recovering an onside kick which these days is almost impossible unless you are playing the Falcons.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, eball said:

I’ve been saying until I’m blue in the face, we can’t call McD “conservative” because he hasn’t had an offense.

All of you know-it-alls can stuff it in a sock.

He has changed. 

When he came to Buffalo he talked about establishing a physical run game. Our OC was Rick Dennison. 

Signed guys like Mike Tolbert, Chris Ivory. Even last year Frank Gore, sucking up carries because of veteran leadership. 

In 2017-2018 the Bills WR group was deplorable, with Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, Jeremy Kerley, Jordan Matthews, Robert Foster became the defacto #1. 

But there have been changes in the offensive approach at OBD. The Bills finally drafted their own QB, instead of 10/11 years with backups - Edwards (3 years), Fitzpatrick (3 years), Orton (1 year), Tyrod (3 years). When Beane tried to trade for Antonio Brown, when McDermott watched his offense collapse in Houston, when Beane made the move for Diggs, the start of better skill players last year in Knox, Singletary, Beasley and Brown, and now FINALLY this year benching useless Lee "Blocking Tight End" Smith. 

McDermott hasn't always been like this, but yesterday when he talked in the postgame about not trying to win games 11-9, pulling all your hair out, I think has turned the corner in regards to seeing how the offense can make life easier for his defense, and frankly, how you aren't going to win anything without a top flight one. You aren't beating Mahomes and Jackson 17-14. 

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He has changed. 

McDermott hasn't always been like this, but yesterday when he talked in the postgame about not trying to win games 11-9, pulling all your hair out, I think has turned the corner in regards to seeing how the offense can make life easier for his defense, and frankly, how you aren't going to win anything without a top flight one. You aren't beating Mahomes and Jackson 17-14. 

Changed ? How do you know he is conservative" by nature and not simply game planning based on knowledge of his own personnel ? Those who proclaimed him to be the next Jauron simply were too early in their assessment. Credit McD with trying to recognize his team's shortcomings (and now strengths) and instructing his coordinators accordingly. I was shocked (pleasantly) when Allen continues to sling the ball in the 4th Q attempting to WIN and not play "do not lose". Its been a very long time since I have experienced such exhilaration due to the Bills O. 

• Like (+1) 1

One thing I haven't seen out of Buffalo so far is a killer instinct.  The closeness of the Miami game certainly was due in part to the injuries Buffalo had to their linebacking group.  Had Edmunds and Milano been healthy, maybe we would have seen the killer instinct, but it sure looks like Buffalo is letting up in intensity when they have a comfortable lead, and we're also seeing what happens when a team does let up.  I don't know that we're going to see any blowouts over the next few gams as Buffalo has a tough stretch coming up, but the next time Buffalo plays a supposedly bad team, I want to see them step on their neck and laugh (figuratively speaking of course).  By letting bad teams stay close you keep alive the chance they come back and win.

1 minute ago, eball said:

The Allen to Brown bomb while up 24-20 with 3:00 to go says “hi.”

Maybe, but that didn't happen until Buffalo had a laps in intensity that allowed Miami to come back and take the lead.  It was the sec ond week in a row that the Bills had that lapse of intensity going into the the half and lasted through most of the third quarter.

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Changed ? How do you know he is conservative" by nature and not simply game planning based on knowledge of his own personnel ? Those who proclaimed him to be the next Jauron simply were too early in their assessment. Credit McD with trying to recognize his team's shortcomings (and now strengths) and instructing his coordinators accordingly. I was shocked (pleasantly) when Allen continues to sling the ball in the 4th Q attempting to WIN and not play "do not lose". Its been a very long time since I have experienced such exhilaration due to the Bills O. 

Yes changed, listen to McDermott talk about offense when he first got here, his first OC choice, his obsession with old Panthers, to throwing all game and not sitting on leads, going for it on 4th downs now.

He used to talk about a defense that held people to 17 points. 

McDermott has changed his offensive philosophy. 

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

One thing I haven't seen out of Buffalo so far is a killer instinct.  The closeness of the Miami game certainly was due in part to the injuries Buffalo had to their linebacking group.  Had Edmunds and Milano been healthy, maybe we would have seen the killer instinct, but it sure looks like Buffalo is letting up in intensity when they have a comfortable lead, and we're also seeing what happens when a team does let up.  I don't know that we're going to see any blowouts over the next few gams as Buffalo has a tough stretch coming up, but the next time Buffalo plays a supposedly bad team, I want to see them step on their neck and laugh (figuratively speaking of course).  By letting bad teams stay close you keep alive the chance they come back and win.

The 3rd quarter is still a problem for this team. 

They typically run 3 passive plays and punt for a couple of series. 

And that stalls the team for a whole quarter typically, the defense starts letting easy scores in. 

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Sure hope so.  Love the Fitz,  but wow.  This game should not have come down to a recovered onside 

Agreed. I think if Milano or Edmunds had played it wouldnt have been that close. But I also think Miami is better than people think. They wont win a ton, but they wont be an easy out most weeks

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They want more than 21. They don't want to NEED more than 21. That is the point. They want to win games by stopping their opponents scoring. Today they couldn't do that and they showed they were willing to get into a shootout. That is a positive. 

Exactly.  There are usually only a couple of teams each season that can both score a lot of points and shut down other teams’ offenses.   Most competitive  teams are either high scoring teams that can’t stop the opposition or strong defensive teams that have trouble scoring.

With how the Bills are built now, they should be able to adapt due to the opposition (having to score to keep up with a team like the Chiefs) , injuries and game situations.  

Edited by ColeB
  • Like (+1) 1