McD is a “conservative” coach...

eball

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have never said he is blind to what football looks like in 2020. But I can guarantee you McDermott walks off the field today thinking "that isn't who we are." He wants to keep teams under 20. Giving up 28 to Miami will annoy the hell out of him.

Well they aren’t talking about the defense here, the conservative claims were him from an offensive approach, not defensive.  Of course he’s gonna be pissed we have up those points to Miami.  But he isn’t at all going to walk off field thinking we need to slow the offense down.  This is what he’s literally said he wanted out of the offense...more points, more big plays, more passing yards.  Him and Beane both said that multiple times. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well they aren’t talking about the defense here, the conservative claims were him from an offensive approach, not defensive.  Of course he’s gonna be pissed we have up those points to Miami.  But he isn’t at all going to walk off field thinking we need to slow the offense down.  This is what he’s literally said he wanted out of the offense...more points, more big plays, more passing yards.  Him and Beane both said that multiple times. 

No what I mean is I think sometimes eball has slightly misunderstood the argument people are making. Sure there are some who just say "defensive coach too conservative" but the majority of the argument is more nuanced than that. It is about how McDermott wants to team to win. He wants to keep teams below 20 so that his offense only needs 21. Now with our normal defense I think that affects the way they play that last offensive drive. What was encouraging today was they played offense knowing that the defense was struggling.

48 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McD is a bad game day coach. Daboll saved him from himself today. Moss has no business getting equal snaps with Singletary. His defense got gouged today and 3rd quarter adjustments are non existent.

Whatever! He also was brilliant in keeping the team on the field for a fourth and 3 late in the half so as to make the Dolphins burn a timeout which they did, we changed and punted and they only one timeout left and had to spike the ball to kick a field goal instead of and extra play for a touchdown attempt. 

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have never said he is blind to what football looks like in 2020. But I can guarantee you McDermott walks off the field today thinking "that isn't who we are." He wants to keep teams under 20. Giving up 28 to Miami will annoy the hell out of him.

Sure hope so.  Love the Fitz,  but wow.  This game should not have come down to a recovered onside 

• Like (+1) 1

It's very obvious they self scout and look around the league....all those deep crossing patters looks a lot like Andy Reid's offense.  Growing confidence in Allen and Dabol will lead to less conservative calls.  There is a time and place for conservative calls, it will happen, it should happen at times.

1 hour ago, eball said:

I’ve been saying until I’m blue in the face, we can’t call McD “conservative” because he hasn’t had an offense.

All of you know-it-alls can stuff it in a sock.

But...Dabols on the hot seat ;) 

Glad he didn't go for it on the 4 and 4 from our 36 though ;)

Sure looked like he was thinking about it.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McD is a bad game day coach. Daboll saved him from himself today. Moss has no business getting equal snaps with Singletary. His defense got gouged today and 3rd quarter adjustments are non existent.

You have a point. Motor was the better back to my “eye test” today.

I understand some of it was blocking But other than those couple plays Moss has back to back he looked Meh. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They had to go for points today because the D couldn't get the job done. I doubt that is the way McDermott wants to win.... but it was the way we HAD to win today and we got the job done. Excellent.

This is the mark of a good football team. Being able to win multiple different ways.

3 hours ago, eball said:

I’ve been saying until I’m blue in the face, we can’t call McD “conservative” because he hasn’t had an offense.

even if what you said wasn’t true, people change. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No what I mean is I think sometimes eball has slightly misunderstood the argument people are making. Sure there are some who just say "defensive coach too conservative" but the majority of the argument is more nuanced than that. It is about how McDermott wants to team to win. He wants to keep teams below 20 so that his offense only needs 21. Now with our normal defense I think that affects the way they play that last offensive drive. What was encouraging today was they played offense knowing that the defense was struggling.

I get that, but McD doesn’t want 21.  He’s literally said they want to average much higher points, same with Beane.  That’s my point.  He has no interest in scoring just 21 points, they want to average in the high twenties, always have.  

4 hours ago, eball said:

I fully agree with you and am very much aware who started that simplistic "Jauron-esque" narrative. McD needed to be conservative earlier because he knew he did not have the horses or the experienced personnel to be aggressive.

If he played conservative this season, then that thought would have some merit. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You are bringing the informed nuanced points to the argument. The originator of that narrative was calling McD over conservative with no caveats. 

Also, in that last drive, a conservative coach wouldn't have allowed those types of throws opting instead to control the ball and march down the field slowly.

I think it's simple. He learned from his mistake in Houston and plans on never making it again. Sean is now considered one of the best coaches in the NFL. And from the looks of these last 2 weeks are offense under Josh is finally formidable. We now have an offense that can pick up the D like today. 

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

we did go "conservative" after scoring 17 until MIA got the lead.  

How? Was the balance of run to pass different? Did they use play action less? As far as I could tell, the difference was that they didn't execute on their run blocking and passing.

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's just 1 game, but another like this and I'll agree that Singletary has earned the RB#1 designation.  Feed him.

We need to see how McDermott does in a meaningful game before he sheds the "conservative" designation.

5 hours ago, eball said:

Regardless of the outcome today, I agree with you.  They got up a couple scores and they tried to shut it down in the 3rd quarter.  They completely got away from everything that had worked in the first half, and then worked again in the 4th quarter, and tried to grind out the game.  The current NFL isn't set up to function that way and fortunately they snapped out of it and went back to what was working for them earlier after they yakked up the lead in the game.  Whether McD and Daboll like it or not you have to keep the hammer down and keep scoring points.  It's a mindset thing and they need to improve their killer instinct, from the coaching staff on down.  If you can bury someone, you need to bury someone.  It's not good enough to try to run out the clock. Hopefully a lesson was learned today. 

• Like (+1) 2

Only nitpick would be the reluctance to go for it on a few 4th down opportunities. Had a 4th-and-2 and a 4th-and-3 near the fifty yard line and punted both times. They went for it against the Jets last week in a very similar situation and I thought it was the right call; I think this particular version of the Buffalo Bills should be going for it on most situational short-yardage 4th downs between the 40’s.

Wouldn’t have minded seeing them go for it too on 4th and 3 from Miami’s 21 instead of the field goal, but points are points. 

I hope that once coach gets more game-day data showing what this offense is capable of, he’ll loosen up on the 4th down calls and go for it more often.

Edited by Ecmic82
  • Like (+1) 1