NFL illegal block rule

Simon

18 hours ago, MPT said:

Yes, I disagree. As does almost the entire football world and the actual video. Just look at the still image from the replay below. McKenzie is STILL facing more to the Dolphins end zone and that's AFTER the collision spun him toward the 25 yard line. His last movement right before contact is about a 4 inch lean toward the defender (who is, again, coming from a 45 degree angle) so he doesn't get run over.

McKenzie is 5 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter than the guy he was blocking. If you expect him to not even brace for the hit, you're just rooting for him to get injured. I really don't know what your agenda is here, but it's certainly not player safety.

Agenda?  LOL, I think at this point it's that I'm just fascinated that you either can't or refuse to understand.  Per the NFL, the defender is deemed a defenseless player (penalty) when the path of the offensive blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.  It doesn't matter what direction the blocker is facing, nor how much bigger the defender is than the blocker.  To the letter of the rule, the only way this isn't a penalty is if McKenzie is moving at an angle that is forward when he hits the defender.  If you think he is moving toward his own end zone or at an angle greater that the yard marker, then lets just agree to disagree.  

I am not arguing that the rule is fair or just. Like many rules, it has flaws. In this case there wasn't much McKenzie could have done beyond maybe ole'ing the guy past him or letting him run into him.  But the rule is the rule, and I'm saying that the refs applied it accurately in this case.  

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/20/2020 at 3:09 PM, Captain_Quint said:

It doesnt really matter how its worded, they are looking for those plays now, and are going to call it most of the time. They talked about it specifically in the offseason. 

In that same situation, McKenzie just needs to get in the guys way and put his hands up. 

but then he can get drilled

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/20/2020 at 2:54 PM, Simon said:

If your lined up outside coming down the LOS and pop somebody they will call it every time now

the key is he initiated forcible contact with his shoulder

AND is big. He has to be moving parallel or towards AND use shoulder. He wasn’t moving towards or parallel to his endzone. So no penalty by the way the rule is worded.

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

but then he can get drilled

But but but what about Player safety? The league is a joke with their rules 

On 9/20/2020 at 3:26 PM, Simon said:

youre not allowed to initiate forcible contact any more; the shoulder is even written into the rule

So he is just supposed to stand there and get mauled over and possibly injured? When someone is running at you full speed and you are just standing there it’s human nature to lower your shoulder to brace for impact. 

I could see it being called if he initiated contact and the defender didn’t see him but he was just standing there and lower his shoulder for the impact. I thought it was a horrid call.

7 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

So he is just supposed to stand there and get mauled over and possibly injured? When someone is running at you full speed and you are just standing there it’s human nature to lower your shoulder to brace for impact. 

I could see it being called if he initiated contact and the defender didn’t see him but he was just standing there and lower his shoulder for the impact. I thought it was a horrid call.

NBA players do it all the time when setting picks, and they arent even wearing pads.

I dont know, I hate the rule. But if they are going to call it like this, then WRs better get used to "setting picks" instead of throwing blocks.

I think the other big part of the rule is "Facing your own end zone". If you are turned around and running back towards your own end zone, you will get called for it every time, no matter then severity of the contact. THAT is what refs are watching for the most. Which way the player is facing.

I still hate it.

On 9/20/2020 at 1:47 PM, Simon said:

"a player initiates a block in which he is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder"

They've been calling it for a couple years to minimize concussions and whether we like or not that was a penalty on McKenzie

It looks like you can make that block with your hands and maybe use yours chest to block and not get called, but as soon as you use you shoulder or forearm to hit it's a penalty.