NFL illegal block rule

Simon

1 hour ago, Old Coot said:

Formerly called a crackback block which has been illegal for years!

image.png.292bcc99638e0db661ec451cdc2ee0fe.png

You have to know the rule before you can give a ***** about it. The rule says he must be facing his own end zone or parallel to it. He wasn't. It's even in the name of the old penalty you referenced. Crack back. As in, back. As in, blocking back toward your own end zone. Not forward, like blocking forward toward the opponent's end zone, which is just called a block.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

It was a great, clean block-there has to be awareness by the defense too. He didn’t launch at him, he didn’t hit him in the head/neck, it was simply a bad call. The dolphins CB had pretty much literally no awareness on that play 

agree completely. As the defender, you can’t be running with blinders on and not see a guy that is literally in front of you. Bad call. 

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean how can Bills fans of all people not recognize something that is moving forward from something that is moving laterally😂😂

Yeah, it's mind-blowing to me how some of you can't see the obvious. :devil:

And I already made the Frank Wychek joke earlier but I'm not sure anybody got it 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

And I already made the Frank Wychek joke earlier but I'm not sure anybody got it 🤷‍♂️

Wait are you seriously saying he was facing his own end zone? Is this just an elaborate troll job?

And yes, we all got the joke. I think we're all just more concerned that one of our fellow posters seems to be having a psychotic break.

Edited by MPT
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think calling this block parallel to the LOS is a stretch, it’s pretty apparent to me at least he’s moving forward

i mean look at where the defender is coming from and where McKenzie makes contact

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think calling this block parallel to the LOS is a stretch, it’s pretty apparent to me at least he’s moving forward

i mean look at where the defender is coming from and where McKenzie makes contact

He was definitely moving forward.

Until he stopped and then lunged sideways and along the LOS into the defender. When he lunged into the block he was moving "parallel to his own end line". 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Well agree to disagree

It happens. :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, brianb386 said:

So trap plays that kick the defender to the outside are illegal now? Or is it blocking from the outside in? I don't think I understand the rule, but pretty sure I don't like it.

I've never seen it called on a trap.

I've only seen it called on a guy who was lined up outside and was cracking back(even above the waist now).

And in that case, it's getting called every time I see it.

12 minutes ago, Simon said:

It happens. :thumbsup:

I've never seen it called on a trap.

I've only seen it called on a guy who was lined up outside and was cracking back(even above the waist now).

And in that case, it's getting called every time I see it.

I guess the argument can be made that he was laterally, still don't like it in that situation with Mckenzie.

39 minutes ago, MPT said:

You have to know the rule before you can give a ***** about it. The rule says he must be facing his own end zone or parallel to it. He wasn't. It's even in the name of the old penalty you referenced. Crack back. As in, back. As in, blocking back toward your own end zone. Not forward, like blocking forward toward the opponent's end zone, which is just called a block.

Doesn't the rule actually say he needs to be MOVING TOWARDS OR PARALLEL to the end zone, not facing it, right? Looking at that replay, the defender seems to be coming toward McKenzie, who stops and drives back parallel to the end zone to block the guy.  If that's the case, how isn't it a penalty?

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Doesn't the rule actually say he needs to be MOVING TOWARDS not Facing it, right? Looking at that replay, the defender seems to be coming toward McKenzie, who stops and drives back parallel to the end zone to block the guy.  If that's the case, how isn't it a penalty?

The defender is coming at him from a 45 degree angle. McKenzie squares up and stops moving well before contact at that same angle. The defender runs into him at that same angle.

You two do a little too much drinking today?  Maybe sleep it off and then watch the replay without it spinning around on you.

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL just needs to go the way of college football. Targeting (defenseless player/crown of the helmet) should be subject to automatic review. At least they can take a second look that isn't in real time. Those plays always look worse in real time where the replay allows you to confirm the penalty or pick up the flag.

4 hours ago, Monty98 said:

The NFL just needs to go the way of college football. Targeting (defenseless player/crown of the helmet) should be subject to automatic review. At least they can take a second look that isn't in real time. Those plays always look worse in real time where the replay allows you to confirm the penalty or pick up the flag.

Agreed. The refs are seeing big collisions and assuming personal foul.  

8 hours ago, MPT said:

The defender is coming at him from a 45 degree angle. McKenzie squares up and stops moving well before contact at that same angle. The defender runs into him at that same angle.

You two do a little too much drinking today?  Maybe sleep it off and then watch the replay without it spinning around on you.

I didn't drink at all yesterday, I just watched the play without prejudice.  Take a look at it again this morning.  The defender is coming in at a 45 degree angle..  Mckenzie planted his feet right on the 25 yard line and drove his shoulder directly back across the 25 yard line, making contact right on the 25.  Do you disagree with this course of events?

8 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

I didn't drink at all yesterday, I just watched the play without prejudice.  Take a look at it again this morning.  The defender is coming in at a 45 degree angle..  Mckenzie planted his feet right on the 25 yard line and drove his shoulder directly back across the 25 yard line, making contact right on the 25.  Do you disagree with this course of events?

Yes, I disagree. As does almost the entire football world and the actual video. Just look at the still image from the replay below. McKenzie is STILL facing more to the Dolphins end zone and that's AFTER the collision spun him toward the 25 yard line. His last movement right before contact is about a 4 inch lean toward the defender (who is, again, coming from a 45 degree angle) so he doesn't get run over.

McKenzie is 5 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter than the guy he was blocking. If you expect him to not even brace for the hit, you're just rooting for him to get injured. I really don't know what your agenda is here, but it's certainly not player safety.

42 minutes ago, MPT said:

Yes, I disagree. As does almost the entire football world and the actual video. Just look at the still image from the replay below. McKenzie is STILL facing more to the Dolphins end zone and that's AFTER the collision spun him toward the 25 yard line. His last movement right before contact is about a 4 inch lean toward the defender (who is, again, coming from a 45 degree angle) so he doesn't get run over.

McKenzie is 5 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter than the guy he was blocking. If you expect him to not even brace for the hit, you're just rooting for him to get injured. I really don't know what your agenda is here, but it's certainly not player safety.

looking at this again, the defender is an idiot. He takes a horrible angle to begin with and wasn’t going to even come close to Moss. He was like a full yard behind him.  I think McK was setting him up, figuring he would actually go and try to tackle Moss at the correct angle. 

19 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

looking at this again, the defender is an idiot. He takes a horrible angle to begin with and wasn’t going to even come close to Moss. He was like a full yard behind him.  I think McK was setting him up, figuring he would actually go and try to tackle Moss at the correct angle. 

The other video shows the angle better. The defender definitely would have had a good chance to tackle Moss. McKenzie is facing away from Moss for a significant amount of time so I don't think he would be able to know exactly where Moss was to set up a misdirection like that. He just knows from practice and watching the defender where he's supposed to set up for the block.

Edited by MPT
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MPT said:

The other video shows the angle better. The defender definitely would have had a good chance to tackle Moss. McKenzie is facing away from Moss for a significant amount of time so I don't think he would be able to know exactly where Moss was to set up a misdirection like that. He just knows from practice and watching the defender where he's supposed to set up for the block.

I think McKenzie was fine right up to the block,  he didn’t just tense up for the hit - He lunged right along the yard and hit him directly with his shoulder.

He needed to do the old Ole’ block - just pushing the guy slightly.  The size of the guys don’t matter - the NFL is working to outlaw this type of block and have been regularly calling this.