NFL illegal block rule

Simon

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

When they’re blocking parallel or toward their endzone. Not when it’s a block in the opponent's direction. Which is the point.

Then call hit to the head or something, it’s not a blindside block 

I personally thought it was a clean block. I also believe the intention of the call was player safety. Or maybe some home cooking lmao.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

When they’re blocking parallel or toward their endzone. Not when it’s a block in the opponent's direction. Which is the point.

Then call hit to the head or something, it’s not a blindside block 

I think they should call them like they do blocks on kickoffs and such where as long as it is in front of the defender, not at the knees, helmet to helmet it is a clean block... no flag. Daboll likes to run a lot of reverses and misdirection plays that lend themselves to defensive players being setup for good peal back blocks.

As much as I love good hard football, I understand about protecting players too and how they are trying to balance things.

1 minute ago, MPT said:

Did he get destroyed? Watch the replay. He might have gotten the wind knocked out of him, but there was no risk of injury there. He just bounced off McKenzie. It's not like his head changed direction on the hit.

I was speaking of old school decleaters that probably jack up brains. I thought the block was clean. Mckenzie didn't leave his feet or hit him in the head or lead with the crown

Just now, WideNine said:

I think they should call them like they do blocks on kickoffs and such where as long as it is in front of the defender, not at the knees, helmet to helmet it is a clean block... no flag. Daboll likes to run a lot of reverses and misdirection plays that lend themselves to defensive players being setup for good peal back blocks.

As much as I love good hard football, I understand about protecting players too and how they are trying to balance things.

Then you understand a peel back block depends entirely on where the blocker is moving and facing yes

7 minutes ago, WideNine said:

In this case, protecting players is just about coaching them to be aware of their surroundings and keeping their head up. You can't remove blocking from football.

Remember Landry's hit on Aaron Williams? That's an example of a blindside block that needs to be removed from the game. He ran and launched himself into Williams' head. McKenzie was no more than a tackling dummy on this play. Or a sled dummy I guess. Sled dummies are harder to move. Regardless, they're still stationary.

Edited by MPT

3 hours ago, Simon said:

"a player initiates a block in which he is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder"

They've been calling it for a couple years to minimize concussions and whether we like or not that was a penalty on McKenzie

Guy was running toward McKenzie.  Could have been nothing he could do as was not a blind side move on his part, he stood his ground.  BS call...watch it again

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Then you understand a peel back block depends entirely on where the blocker is moving and facing yes

Absolutely and their almost impossible to execute that way as most players are moving laterally during those reverses and sweep plays, but the rule is clear that the defensive player has to be moving towards their own end zone. Thought that was close in this case as he was moving at an angle towards his own end zone.

Then it is a matter of keeping it above the waist and do not hit his helmet. 

Just now, WideNine said:

Absolutely and their almost impossible to execute that way as most players are moving laterally during those reverses and sweep plays, but the rule is clear that the defensive player has to be moving towards their own end zone. Thought that was close in this case as he was moving at an angle towards his own end zone.

Then it is a matter of keeping it above the waist and do not hit his helmet. 

Wait you think McKenzie was moving toward his own endzone?

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Wait you think McKenzie was moving toward his own endzone?

I thought we were talking about Peal Back blocks and where the focus is on where the defensive player is heading not the offensive player. Sorry about the crappy insert lost a few pixels and turned into micro-text in the embedding - but yeah, I am confused with your confusion :)

PealBack.thumb.PNG.8eef7951d1d52bdcc7343b369032a7f4.PNG

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

I thought we were talking about Peal Back blocks and where the focus is on where the defensive player is heading not the offensive player. Sorry about the crappy insert lost a few pixels and turned into micro-text in the embedding - but yeah, I am confused with your confusion :)

PealBack.thumb.PNG.8eef7951d1d52bdcc7343b369032a7f4.PNG

Here you go, peel back doesn't apply cause the guy is clearly not moving toward his endzone

Blindside does not apply because McKenzie is clearly not moving toward or parallel to his endzone

It's just a regular old block and a terrible call

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Here you go, peel back doesn't apply cause the guy is clearly not moving toward his endzone

Blindside does not apply because McKenzie is clearly not moving toward or parallel to his endzone

We're good.

The peal back block reference was just part of the discussion about how hard it is to get a great block on a defender and not have it flagged. Not a part of this play.

McKenzie barely moved and held his ground - even the game announcers mentioned that about 5 times. All McD and Dabs can do is send the tape over to the NFL Officiating Committee and ask, "Ok, how do we draw this up or execute it in a way that does not draw a flag, or is this a good block?". See if there is anything specific they are looking for or coaching their officials to look for.

It is the grown up thing to do, or they could blast the officials during a presser and feel better but get fined.

4 hours ago, Simon said:

"a player initiates a block in which he is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder"

They've been calling it for a couple years to minimize concussions and whether we like or not that was a penalty on McKenzie

Unlike the Houston game where Ford was blocking towards his end-zone, McKenzie's block was fine. He was blocking toward the opponent's end-zone. Not parallel. It was the right call in Houston and a bad call today. 

What is happening is any violent collision is being flagged by the officials. It was a good hard block and was perfectly legal. Now he could have just stood there and the play would have netted the same yards.  But it was still a legal block.

5 hours ago, Simon said:

He's supposed to let the guy run him over?  He had to hit him.  They need to adjust the call with that type of block.

7 minutes ago, purple haze said:

He's supposed to let the guy run him over?  He had to hit him.  They need to adjust the call with that type of block.

Similar to the Ford block in the playoff game where the defender simply was not looking at all in the direction he was running as he was tracking Allen and all Ford did was brace himself a bit to ensure he was not the player that was going to fly back in the wrong direction. After that, I thought it was just a case of "stoppable force" meet immovable object, but the hankies flew.

If it happens enough times this year they will work something out that will be more complicated and likely more terrible than what we have today... it is tough to make a violent game safe.

Maybe they can build some kind of imminent crash warning into the helmets of players like my wife's crappy Subaru has. All it does is ding, whistle, beep, and slam on my breaks when I am backing up and the sensors pick up the deadly shrubbery at the end of my driveway

... then the final kick to the sprinkler when it warns me not to drive distracted. Perfect.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I am not one to defend officials, and this was a bad call, but when I watched it live I thought it was a cut back because of way player fell. The NFL can clean up these kind of bad calls by using officials in the booth but I understand why mistake was made.

It was just called on TJ Lockett a couple of minutes ago. Pretty close to the Same play.

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am not one to defend officials, and this was a bad call, but when I watched it live I thought it was a cut back because of way player fell. The NFL can clean up these kind of bad calls by using officials in the booth but I understand why mistake was made.

Not a mistake. They are calling it, and the rule is clear regardless of whether we like it. Just called it on Lockett. Players have to know the rules.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

It’s very clearly defined in the rule book 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

It was just called on TJ Lockett a couple of minutes ago. Pretty close to the Same play.

Except they were facing in different directions 

• Like (+1) 1