NFL illegal block rule

Simon

Just now, GG said:

So it's now a penalty when a rookie DB didn't have enough field awareness?

Mckittrick was moving forward when he made the block on a DB who was running wild in pursuit.  

If he just stands there it won't get called but you cannot put a shoulder into him

And if it was forward, it was about as forward as  Frank Wychek pass.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

If he just stands there it won't get called but you cannot put a shoulder into him

And if it was forward, it was about as forward as  Frank Wychek pass.

Watch the replay, McKenzie's body was pointing Northeast of the LoS.   That's not parallel.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GG said:

Watch the replay, McKenzie's body was pointing Northeast of the LoS.   That's not parallel.  

I dont have any replay capability

I thought it was a penalty while the play was live.

I also thought the LB got hooked on the edge and was actually looking for two flags

1 hour ago, Simon said:

"a player initiates a block in which he is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder"

They've been calling it for a couple years to minimize concussions and whether we like or not that was a penalty on McKenzie

He was stationary.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

The key word is "initiate".  He stood his ground and protected himself with a normal football movement. 

I disagree.

He didn't jack him up like he could have but I still thought he threw a shoulder in there

1 minute ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

How about this silly flag on Hyde?

Maybe Hyde should have picked the receiver up, rocked him, wrapped him in a blanket, kissed him, and let him down on the ground.

That would be called the revised "tuck him in rule".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The key word is "initiate".  He stood his ground and protected himself with a normal football movement. 

The key is the direction, initiate is subjective imo. It’s clearly meant to stop people from getting hit in normal pursuit...you literally can’t be called for blindside block by rule if you are blocking toward the opponent’s goal line.

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

It doesnt really matter how its worded, they are looking for those plays now, and are going to call it most of the time. They talked about it specifically in the offseason. 

In that same situation, McKenzie just needs to get in the guys way and put his hands up. 

And get run over? Maybe he can fake a block and then dive out of the way.

Honestly looked like the defender ran right into him and he put his shoulder out to protect himself.  If he doesn’t do that he gets himself lit up so I’m not sure what they expect him to do.  Maybe that’s the rule but if so it’s a bad rule.  But I don’t think he “initiated” contact and also Jerome Boger is the worst referee in all of sports including pee wee football.

• Thank you (+1) 1