What defensive wrinkles might the Bills use with 2 starting LB's out?

You might be onto something. I was thinking maybe a 5-1-5, with an extra safety. I think Sean and Leslie will mix it up a ton. They aren’t going to confuse Fitz, just can’t let him get comfortable. Chan’s offense is short timing passes. Need to press receivers at line and throw them off their routes.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2

The Bills currently run a ton of 4-2-5 - Nickle looks as it is.  My guess is that they run a bunch of 4-1-6 Nickle/Dime looks using Marlowe and Neal in the Milano role to cover the TE/RBs.

They will most likely rotate Klein and Dodson as the single backer depending on down and distance.

I also expect to see some 5-1-5 personnel on early downs, but using Addison or Hughes as a OLB to give some size and stoutness to prevent runs and using them and/or Dodson on Blitzes to get some pressure on Fitz.

I expect from the All-22 the overall Scheme will run similar to their standard Nickle package just using 1 LB and filling that second role with either a smaller faster DB for coverage or a larger DE for run stuffing and blitzes.  

I also expect them to try and use some standard 4-3 looks, but again using just Dodson and Klein (both with positional flexibility (MLB/OLB) to dictate the Dolphins strong and passing sides.  They will fill the 3rd position with an extra coverage safety to again help get through the game.

• Like (+1) 4

Everybody keeps saying they'll switch to 1 linebacker but I disagree, I think they have enough confidence in both Klein and Dodson that we'll see them on the field together plenty. I was telling my Dad last night though that I don't think they'll play three LBs at all, they'll use Neal or Marlowe instead of the third LB.

3 minutes ago, AirAllenPower said:

I dont think much will change.  Maybe some more big nickel with Neal,  they play nickel 85%...

Epenesa should be active. 9 dlineman for the heat

100%. They will be in a nickel or dime the majority of the time. Pass coverage between the hashes on quick throws is all Fitz will get today on his reads. I think it's still EZ money. As long as the D-line stays healthy, this defense should be quite resilient. I even expect one of these back-up LBrs  to get a pick today.

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

You might be onto something. I was thinking maybe a 5-1-5, with an extra safety. I think Sean and Leslie will mix it up a ton. They aren’t going to confuse Fitz, just can’t let him get comfortable. Chan’s offense is short timing passes. Need to press receivers at line and throw them off their routes.

Was thinking something like this too, maybe lineman all standing so make it hard to know who's actually rushing.

But my one fear is with anything meant to confuse him the biggest plus for Fitz is he's a very smart QB

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Was thinking something like this too, maybe lineman all standing so make it hard to know who's actually rushing.

But my one fear is with anything meant to confuse him the biggest plus for Fitz is he's a very smart QB

Yes better to attack Fitz's body with players he cannot physically react fast enough than his mind until he gets behind where unlike SOME QBs will not take chances trying to win.

Unlike fans he only cares about wins rather than QB stats.