RIP Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, dead at 87

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Simon said:

If you'd like to discuss the political implications of this, take it to PPP.

It does not belong anywhere else.

Definitely coming at this one from a non-confrontational angle and genuinely curious (and not sure the right way to approach broaching the subject)

it feels like the decision to let PPP be more or less unmoderated is possibly running its course as society evolves. We are at a crossroads where politics is interweaving more and more of our every day discussions and there are plenty of folks here i would love to discuss this topic with, but have no desire to go subject myself to PPP. 

i know the hands off policy was created quite some time back and curious about the prospect of its revisiting through the years. 

that we have a cornerstone major American news story that can’t be discussed on the any topic goes board that is moderated and civil because it’s political but the political board means you have to subject yourself to abuses is disappointing. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Definitely coming at this one from a non-confrontational angle and genuinely curious (and not sure the right way to approach broaching the subject)

it feels like the decision to let PPP be more or less unmoderated is possibly running its course as society evolves. We are at a crossroads where politics is interweaving more and more of our every day discussions and there are plenty of folks here i would love to discuss this topic with, but have no desire to go subject myself to PPP. 

i know the hands off policy was created quite some time back and curious about the prospect of its revisiting through the years. 

that we have a cornerstone major American news story that can’t be discussed on the any topic goes board that is moderated and civil because it’s political but the political board means you have to subject yourself to abuses is disappointing. 

I was a pretty well respected member of the BBMB, because of my former affiliation with the organization and my identity being known personally by Chris, Billsmod and Robin (Wyo).  I’ll attest that while ppp isn’t perfect, it is absolutely more civil than many other forums of similar nature.  

I think the most important aspect to remember is that while people are passionate, opposite viewpoints can be held without ugliness.  Aside from a large group of trolls which comprise my ignore list, I’ve found that great conversations can and do transpire from all sides of the political forum.  Again, it’s not perfect, but if you can summon the respect for those who aren’t looking for trouble (but have an opposing view), you’ll be fine.  But if someone goes in...

1.  assuming their viewpoint is paramount 
2.  Insulting others on the basis of their viewpoints 

3.  Entertaining trolls

4.  Affirming that those opposed to your viewpoints are “evil”

5.  Spamming

6.  Professing a love for wings dipped in ranch (gross!!!).   

then yes.  PPP isn’t for you.  It’s like any Twitter comment section.  You’re going to find ugly.  Rise above it; don’t become it.  And for the love of sweet children’s laughter, use your ignore feature!!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It's definitely a subject that SDS and the mods have been poring over for some time in search of a solution. We clearly haven't found it yet, whether that's because we haven't struck upon it yet or whether no perfect solution exists is debatable in itself.

From my perspective, this board remains civil precisely because it remains free of politics and I'd like to see that standard maintained.

As for moderating PPP, the difficulty of finding a moderator who is both neutral and masochistic enough to take on that task is nigh impossible. I have no desire to subject myself to that abuse nor would I ask anybody else to do so at this point in our country's de-evolution.

Our society has become so divided by our politicians, our media and our people that it may not be feasible to even have a political discussion that remains civil. If that's the case, then a civil PPP board is a pipe dream, moderated or not.

We'll keep hashing it out among the mods in hopes that a reasonable solution presents itself. In the meantime, I would second the suggestion from DFT that the ignore feature is a very valuable tool if used wisely.

Fwiw, that will be my only comment on the subject here as I have no desire to take a thread about such a well-respected woman off the rails.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4