Robert Woods 4yr/65m extension

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

It’s deals like this that makes me continue to question why people think the Bills can’t afford their players. The rams are laying Goff, Donald, Ramsey, Woods, Kupp all too money plus they have Gurley’s dead cap hit on top of that. People need to stop saying the Bills can’t afford all of their players. I will say it again, if the Bills want to keep a player, there is no issue whatsoever with them keeping that player

i hear you, Ya Digg, but honestly look at the Eagles going into next year.  They may be able to clean it up a bit, easier than it would seem, but they are currently projected to be 90 million over the cap.

sure, that’s likely mismanagement, but still.

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Future cap hits. Can always push cap hits into the future but eventually it will catch up to you if that player declines.

We hit this wall in the late 90's when the team loaded for one final hurrah and failed...then they had to cut  Thurman, Andre, Bruce, Cornelius all in the same time...and the dead cap also prohibited the Bills from being active on the FA market.

Bob Woods is the ultimate team player WR. With the exception of not having blazing speed, everything he does is top notch. Great hands. Great routes. Great blocker. Great attitude. He deserves this all day long, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

i hear you, Ya Digg, but honestly look at the Eagles going into next year.  They may be able to clean it up a bit, easier than it would seem, but they are currently projected to be 90 million over the cap.

Yea and the poor bastards only got a super bowl parade out of it all. 

5 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Bob Woods is the ultimate team player WR. With the exception of not having blazing speed, everything he does is top notch. Great hands. Great routes. Great blocker. Great attitude. He deserves this all day long, IMO.

really underscores that the Sammy-woods-Goodwin-hogan group while not the greatest ever were a pretty viable collection. Really a shame that we didn’t get more out of that era. Rex messing up the defense and being a clown wasted some opportunities 

6 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I know there's a lot of love for Bobby here but all I remember is a guy that was never finding the 3rd down marker always short. Of course that could have been coaching and Tyrod

It was Tyrod.  Several times a game Woods was running open in space and Tyrod refused to look at him.   Like a waitress trying to avoid a table and just averts eye

contact with a diner.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

I like who we have now at wide receiver, but he was the one that I do not think that we should have let go.   He played well when he was here but seems to fit better on LA with the Rams.  Nothing but respect for him and I am glad to see him do well(expect for in week 3).

Maybe if we had a real QB at the time he would still be here , ( who knows? )

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

It is also external factors. The cap coming down hurts them and then about $20m of that is opt out money that gets punted. They will have a tough time making the cap in 2021, no doubt, but they believed they were in a Superbowl window and they went all in. That is what you are supposed to do. And they won a Lombardi. Cap space isn't the goal. It is means. The ends are winning a Championship. 

The cap is why Carson Wentz's performance is huge for them this year. Because the contract they did with him was designed not to handcuff then to him for too long. If they really decided he was not the guy they can get out after 2021. In order to allow for that he currently has a very big number on the 2021 cap. But if the Eagles are convinced he is their guy there is a pretty easy restructure that could take as much as $20m off his cap number in 2021 and spread it across the remainder of the contract. But if they do that it really does lock them all in on Wentz. At the moment, if I was them, I would not go that route. But it is a pretty easy option for them to save 2021 space if they want to. 

• Like (+1) 1