Joe B All-22 review of Jets game

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I mean this as no disrespect to Joe Buscaglia, but...

What qualifies him to grade All-22 footage?

For what reason should we believe that he knows what he's looking at?

As far as I know, he never played or coached college football and never took any scouting courses.

He's a journalist. He writes and broadcasts for a living. That's an entirely different skillset than analyzing and understanding coach's tape.

If someone knows something I don't, please pass it along. I like Joe B well enough, but I don't get the sense that he understands the nuances of what he's looking at the way that, say even the Cover 1 crew do.

The biggest difference between him and anyone else on this board, is that he was able to get enough people interested in his opinion about the Bills, to make a living off of it.  I am jealous.

For the record, sometimes his opinion confirms what I saw, and sometimes I disagree with his opinion. That's the beauty of it.  You're never wrong and you're never right at the same time. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

The LB group is now my biggest concern due to the injuries. It reveals how much more needs to be done for depth. That said, I'm very pleased with how Beane et. al. have taken on the depth issue with vigor at nearly every other position group. So, I'm hopeful that while locking down Milano is the priority this Off-season, they should see the LBer depth as one of their top 3 pressing areas to address.

They have LB’s.  The depth is young and unproven.  Let’s see if they can play before throwing them overboard and replacing them with other young LB’s.  

3 hours ago, purple haze said:

They have LB’s.  The depth is young and unproven.  Let’s see if they can play before throwing them overboard and replacing them with other young LB’s.  

I understand your point but that wasn’t exactly what I was saying...more that Klein wasn’t brought in to replace either player because what Edmunds & Milano do well, isn’t his strength - he’s Zo’s replacement. Dodson did ok and I’m willing to see how he does before panic sets in, but having one other proven OLB who can run / cover like Milano would be a real asset. And yes, I know you can’t be perfect at every position, I was merely saying Beane and McD have drastically improved the depth at every position except maybe LBer - most likely due to the youth of the two injured who’ve carried that group, along with Zo, since their arrival and adding depth should be one of the top priorities next Off-season. That’s all.

16 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I really can't stand his arbitrary grading system.

All grading systems are arbitrary, made up by some guy or guys, why in-fact all labeling done by humans on any topic is in the end arbitrary. This argument is kinda silly imo. Joe offers his view like is done  by a multitude of people who do this for a living nation wide, no one is required to agree with his every point.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

All grading systems are arbitrary, made up by some guy or guys, why in-fact all labeling done by humans on any topic is in the end arbitrary.

🤔...AGREED!  Henceforth, the only metric suitable for evaluation will be a game's final score.  End of discussion...and 80% of the threads in TSW. 😁

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Logic said:

As far as I know, he never played or coached college football and never took any scouting courses.

He's a journalist. He writes and broadcasts for a living. That's an entirely different skillset than analyzing and understanding coach's tape.

If someone knows something I don't, please pass it along. I like Joe B well enough, but I don't get the sense that he understands the nuances of what he's looking at the way that, say even the Cover 1 crew do.

The play he breaks down is the TD to Moss. He shows that Josh went to 6 different reads before he tossed it to Moss. How Josh didn't get baited into making a risky throw when it appeared he had Diggs open momentarily. He also showed how Josh reset his feet as he scanned different parts of the field. He backed up each observation with photos.

I'm not anointing him as an All-22 guru, but I thought that he seemed pretty spot-on with his analysis.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

21 hours ago, Logic said:

Could literally be said about almost every person on this board...but it’s literally what we do here. 🤷🏼‍♂️

23 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

WHy do people give a *****? 

They ruled it no good and the kicked sucked. 

And of course, therefore completely unworthy of even a modicum of general interest or curiosity as to whether the refs may have blown a close field goal call? 

I myself would find confirmation of that at least a little noteworthy because I wouldn't have thought that call was one that had much of chance of being missed.  How hard is it when your standing right under it and the weather is perfect?  But I guess that's just me. 

Finding out that the had in fact blown the call may actually be interesting enough to start a debate on whether they should be deemed reviewable, no?

23 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

WHy do people give a *****? 

They ruled it no good and the kicked sucked. 

The good news is it's only an "academic" discussion since the miss had no bearing on the outcome of the game.  The other side of it is the league has the available technology and the resources to come up with video solutions that make it more certain that in the future they are making the right call.  Some day there will be a controversial call on a similar kick that does affect the outcome of the game.

Edited by TigerJ

20 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

The kick was too close not to have video review available. I mean if people take time to review anything they should review scoring plays. It seems straight forward. 

Do you understand why it was not able to be reviewed - right.

The kick was higher than the upright and therefore there is not a good and acceptable angle to see if it is good or not.

You need 2 points of reference- was it between the uprights and when did it cross the end line. 

Not allowing them to review is just saving them a timeout because it is inconclusive.

On 9/18/2020 at 1:02 PM, Logic said:

Not going to complain as Joe is just doing his job.  The Athletic has a journalist doing it for each team and it has a lead guy and some others that help.  

My guess is Joe gets some help from Matthew Fairburn as they tend do work together on other things.

I take it as one opinion and like to read it and match it with other sources like cover one or Yards Per Pass.

He has no additional qualifications and is really just using his own subjective ideas and goes so far as to state - “I don’t know the play calls or each players assignments” - I am judging based upon what I see.  He knows that sometimes the line is supposed to slide and if everyone but the tackle slides and it leaves an opening where the guard gets beat - he will dock the guard - when it was really the tackle.  

He admits there are things he misses and when he and Matthew Fairburn do their Podcast - they sometimes get into that.  It is also hard because they are trying to objectively grade nearly everyone that plays more than mop up plays and sometimes that impacts the grades as guys may only be n a percentage of snaps.

I look at his grading more week to week than the individual grade as he should be grading fairly consistently over time.

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Do you understand why it was not able to be reviewed - right.

The kick was higher than the upright and therefore there is not a good and acceptable angle to see if it is good or not.

You need 2 points of reference- was it between the uprights and when did it cross the end line. 

Not allowing them to review is just saving them a timeout because it is inconclusive.

What I mean is the play should be reviewable, therefore they should add the necessary cameras and/pr technology. It is a scoring play. This should be a priority.