Joe B All-22 review of Jets game

YoloinOhio

29 minutes ago, Logic said:

I didn't say he knows NOTHING about football.

There's a difference between understanding and enjoying football as spectator or fan and understanding it on a deep enough level to be able to analyze coach's tape.

As far as expecting it to be "authoritative"...Joe B gets paid for this. The assumption from the reader would therefore likely be that he knows what he's looking at and is some sort of expert.

People are perhaps taking my question to mean more than it does. As I said, I like Joe B and I pay for a subscription to The Athletic. I was simply asking what makes his opinion of the All-22 worth any more than, say, mine or ScottLaw's?

Well, he does do this for a living.  He puts in the time, does the analysis and puts his opinion out there in print.  People are free to disagree with it.  At the end of the day, he is a journalist, not Vince Lombardi, and it his opinion.    Anyone else is free to do put in the time and effort and express their own opinions.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

WHy do people give a *****? 

They ruled it no good and the kicked sucked. 

People care because a professional sports league in 2020 is somehow incapable of definitively determining whether or not a football went between two poles. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I mean this as no disrespect to Joe Buscaglia, but...

What qualifies him to grade All-22 footage?

For what reason should we believe that he knows what he's looking at?

As far as I know, he never played or coached college football and never took any scouting courses.

He's a journalist. He writes and broadcasts for a living. That's an entirely different skillset than analyzing and understanding coach's tape.

If someone knows something I don't, please pass it along. I like Joe B well enough, but I don't get the sense that he understands the nuances of what he's looking at the way that, say even the Cover 1 crew do.

L -

I'm generally of this view, too.   But...

Like Yolo said, it's just a review.   It's someone looking at the film and giving his opinion.   

My sense of Joe is that he's pretty even-handed, and he seems to make sense.   Given his job, his probably spends more time looking at film than I do, and he seems smart enough, so he's probably learned some things along the way.   

As with anyone else, the more often a guy seems to make sense, the more confidence I have him, the less he makes sense, the less.   Joe's on the plus side.  

Those guys who do Cover One, they don't have long coaching resumes, but they seem to be pretty good at reviewing film and understanding what was happening.  So, for me, they're on the plus side.   

As much as anything, I like reading these things not so much for the actual conclusions as for little things the author may have noticed that I didn't.  For example, on the Moss TD, I didn't know Moss was Allen's sixth read.  That's pretty cool.  

57 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was simply asking what makes his opinion of the All-22 worth any more than, say, mine or ScottLaw's?

Well, my friend, applying the same standard I just said I apply to Joe B and Cover One, as between you and ScottLaw, one's a plus and one's a minus.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

As far as I know, he never played or coached college football and never took any scouting courses.

He's a journalist. He writes and broadcasts for a living. That's an entirely different skillset than analyzing and understanding coach's tape.

If someone knows something I don't, please pass it along. I like Joe B well enough, but I don't get the sense that he understands the nuances of what he's looking at the way that, say even the Cover 1 crew do.

I guess you hope someone that does this all the time every day eventually picks up some nuance somewhere. 

I mean we all gain insight from the hobbyists here that dedicate much less time than Joe B does 

29 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

People care because a professional sports league in 2020 is somehow incapable of definitively determining whether or not a football went between two poles. 

that is not true, we all know for sure it didn’t go between the two poles. That’s not the problem here. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

The LB group is now my biggest concern due to the injuries. It reveals how much more needs to be done for depth. That said, I'm very pleased with how Beane et. al. have taken on the depth issue with vigor at nearly every other position group. So, I'm hopeful that while locking down Milano is the priority this Off-season, they should see the LBer depth as one of their top 3 pressing areas to address.

No team is strong everywhere. There will always be compromises to make. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I didn't say he knows NOTHING about football.

There's a difference between understanding and enjoying football as spectator or fan and understanding it on a deep enough level to be able to analyze coach's tape.

As far as expecting it to be "authoritative"...Joe B gets paid for this. The assumption from the reader would therefore likely be that he knows what he's looking at and is some sort of expert.

People are perhaps taking my question to mean more than it does. As I said, I like Joe B and I pay for a subscription to The Athletic. I was simply asking what makes his opinion of the All-22 worth any more than, say, mine or ScottLaw's?

That he is good enough at this football thing to make a living by being employed as a sports reporter by one of the highly regarded outfits is a step ahead of you, me, Scott, and the rest of us here, 😁 that alone adds gravitas to his opinion, in other words he does it full time for a living, not after work, and on weekends when the lawn work is done, 😁 that’s why most sports reporters voices are considered to have some level of authority. It is then up to us individually to agree or disagree with the points of a reporters review, but that has not changed since football started. 

Go Bills!!!

Miami's TEs will have a good day on Sunday if Klein is covering them. This makes me a bit nervous. Are we going to see Siran Neal, Dean Marlowe, or Jaquan Johnson used in the lineup to help on passing downs?

It'll be interesting to see how McDermott and Frazier gameplan.

1 hour ago, junior12thman92 said:

It was a bad kick and given the distance, the Bills kinda got what they deserved. I have no idea whether it was good or not, but I also think that at that distance, it's on the kicker to make a kick that is clearly through the uprights. Bass does not inspire confidence at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s late this week because all-22 was not out until wed night 

22. MLB Tyrel Dodson
Snaps: 17/56
Grade versus Jets: B-minus

29. SLB A.J. Klein
Snaps: 35/56
Grade versus Jets: C-plus

Spotlight on how the backup LBs looked

It's late because they were busy doctoring the missed field goal footage...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I have found many of his prior reviews to be really far off base, and conflicting with others’ reviews too. So I usually don’t bother putting any stock in his reviews of the film. 

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Also this is good:

TD to Moss

I was literally going to make a new post about this. He had no chances of actually running for it. There was nowhere for him to go. But the moment he rolled out of the pocket, both defenders covering Moss ran toward him and left Moss all alone. 

Defenses are so scared of him running, that he doesn't even have to run for it to be effective.

7 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I was literally going to make a new post about this. He had no chances of actually running for it. There was nowhere for him to go. But the moment he rolled out of the pocket, both defenders covering Moss ran toward him and left Moss all alone. 

Defenses are so scared of him running, that he doesn't even have to run for it to be effective.

Especially in the red zone 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Especially in the red zone 

Exactly. Moss wasn't even remotely open. He was covered by 2 guys. The moment Josh rolled out, they both overcommitted to Josh and left him all alone. 

There was another play that I remember watching that there is no way he'd have made in his first two seasons. It was the play immediately before John Brown's TD. It was a play-action, and the moment he came out of the play fake he had a couple guys in his face and he calmly made a beautiful little touch pass to I believe Singletary. 

It's such a minor play in the grand scheme of the game... but I remember thinking in real time, "wow, now that's progress." It's just a play he wouldn't have made in his first year and a half to two years in the league. He would have panicked and ran for it. It was just another example of how much he has matured as a QB.