Joe B All-22 review of Jets game

YoloinOhio

Also this is good:

2. The Ford-Williams pairing was outstanding

Now that the secret of the summer is out in the open, we got our first chance to see the Bills’ new-look offensive line. The headline was the brand-new right side, with right guard Cody Ford and right tackle Daryl Williams. Longtime readers of the All-22 in Review know I’ve been a fierce advocate of Ford playing guard. In the two primary examples during games, a preseason contest versus the Coltsand fill-in duty against the Bengals in Week 3, Ford looked comfortable and showed he belonged. Almost one year after his last guard stint, Ford turned in one of his best performances as a pro. It’s not a case of confirmation bias, either. Ford played with power in the run game, he controlled defenders in pass protection and, best yet, he didn’t have to worry about the speed threat to the outside of him. It wasn’t a perfect game for Ford, as he had a few bad reps that led to some negative plays. However, that’s probably more to do with rust on the interior than it is his playing ability. Ford flashed massive potential against a good Jets defensive line. He was more impressive and more comfortable in one start at guard than he ever was at right tackle last year. As long as this level of play continues, the Bills should keep their second-year player at right guard — even when Jon Feliciano is healthy.

However, the real revelation was Williams. I’ll admit, I was not optimistic about Williams’ chances. Last year in Carolina, he looked heavy-footed and unbalanced and seemed like his best days were past him. While it isn’t time to call it a full-fledged comeback just yet, Williams was easily the most impressive Bills player on Sunday outside of Allen. He was impenetrable in the first half and easily engulfed pass-rushing attempts. His foot quickness wasn’t even close to an issue, as he always looked in control. Williams packed a punch and knocked a couple of defenders off balance when chipping in on a combination block on running plays. He could also move the defender the way he wanted to open up running lanes.

However, it’s wise to show a little more caution with Williams than Ford because of the competition. The Jets’ interior defensive line is a strength, so Ford’s performance is impressive, but the Jets don’t have quality edge rushers, which could have influenced Williams’ performance. Regardless, his showing was so good that fans should be optimistic about what he’ll do against better pass rushers in Miami. If Williams keeps up this level of play, the Bills would have no reason to change the offensive line’s right side at all. If that were the case, Feliciano’s potential spot on the offensive line could be at left guard and replace the usual average performing Quinton Spain.

Just now, whatdrought said:

What’s the play demonstrating Josh’s progress?

TD to Moss

Allen then turned his attention back to Moss, now his sixth (!) read on the play. However, that was where Allen’s running prowess came into play. The Jets defenders who originally bracketed Moss were cued by Allen’s scrambling to attack the quarterback. They took the bait and Moss was wide open in the end zone.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s late this week because all-22 was not out until wed night 

22. MLB Tyrel Dodson
Snaps: 17/56
Grade versus Jets: B-minus

29. SLB A.J. Klein
Snaps: 35/56
Grade versus Jets: C-plus

Spotlight on how the backup LBs looked

The LB group is now my biggest concern due to the injuries. It reveals how much more needs to be done for depth. That said, I'm very pleased with how Beane et. al. have taken on the depth issue with vigor at nearly every other position group. So, I'm hopeful that while locking down Milano is the priority this Off-season, they should see the LBer depth as one of their top 3 pressing areas to address.

• Like (+1) 1

I mean this as no disrespect to Joe Buscaglia, but...

What qualifies him to grade All-22 footage?

For what reason should we believe that he knows what he's looking at?

As far as I know, he never played or coached college football and never took any scouting courses.

He's a journalist. He writes and broadcasts for a living. That's an entirely different skillset than analyzing and understanding coach's tape.

If someone knows something I don't, please pass it along. I like Joe B well enough, but I don't get the sense that he understands the nuances of what he's looking at the way that, say even the Cover 1 crew do.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

As far as I know, he never played or coached college football and never took any scouting courses.

He's a journalist. He writes and broadcasts for a living. That's an entirely different skillset than analyzing and understanding coach's tape.

If someone knows something I don't, please pass it along. I like Joe B well enough, but I don't get the sense that he understands the nuances of what he's looking at the way that, say even the Cover 1 crew do.

No clue. I don't mind adding his opinion to the pile, but I don't see it as overly authoritative. He's said some things in his reviews in the past that just do not match up with what I see in the games, so I always take it with a grain of salt. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

It’s just a review ... like all the others 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

No clue. I don't mind adding his opinion to the pile, but I don't see it as overly authoritative. He's said some things in his reviews in the past that just do not match up with what I see in the games, so I always take it with a grain of salt. 

Don’t know why anyone would expect it to authoritative. It’s just an all22 review 

• Like (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm an engineer. Which means I know nothing about football

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Logic said:

He's the only one offering this kind of analysis.  The Cover1 guys do some of this, but pick/choose the players, scenarios and themes that they want to focus on.  They don't look at each player, each game and aggregate that over the course of the season.  So I'm not sure of Joe's qualifications in their entirety, he offers a body of work that seems to be worth looking at and debating.  I don't think his analysis should be dismissed out of hand.

If he's monitoring this discussion, I do think he should publish his criteria and if he's working with anyone else in determining his ratings.  This back/forth happens every time someone references his analysis to make a point.

Edited by cage

19 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I'm an engineer. Which means I know nothing about football

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Don’t know why anyone would expect it to authoritative. It’s just an all22 review 

I didn't say he knows NOTHING about football.

There's a difference between understanding and enjoying football as spectator or fan and understanding it on a deep enough level to be able to analyze coach's tape.

As far as expecting it to be "authoritative"...Joe B gets paid for this. The assumption from the reader would therefore likely be that he knows what he's looking at and is some sort of expert.

People are perhaps taking my question to mean more than it does. As I said, I like Joe B and I pay for a subscription to The Athletic. I was simply asking what makes his opinion of the All-22 worth any more than, say, mine or ScottLaw's?

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fun fact, Logic, appeal to authority is, in fact, itself a logical fallacy.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, cage said:

He's the only one offering this kind of analysis.  The Cover1 guys do some of this, but pick/choose the players, scenarios and themes that they want to focus on.  They don't look at each player, each game and aggregate that over the course of the season.  So I'm not sure of Joe's qualifications in their entirety, he offers a body of work that seems to be worth looking at and debating.  I don't think his analysis should be dismissed out of hand.

The Yards Per Pass twitter account does a really nice one but it’s time consuming to post here , series of tweets with vids. I’ve done it in past years. 

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I didn't say he knows NOTHING about football.

There's a difference between understanding and enjoying football as spectator or fan and understanding it on a deep enough level to be able to analyze coach's tape.

As far as expecting it to be "authoritative"...Joe B gets paid for this. The assumption from the reader would therefore likely be that he knows what he's looking at and is some sort of expert.

People are perhaps taking my question to mean more than it does. As I said, I like Joe B and I pay for a subscription to The Athletic. I was simply asking what makes his opinion of the All-22 worth any more than, say, mine or ScottLaw's?

Nothing ... please post yours! I don’t have time to do one 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4

55 minutes ago, Logic said:

You could say that about any journalist about any topic they cover. Most movie critics never wrote or directed a movie. Reporters who cover government never ran for office. On and on. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1