Milano and Edmunds OUT against Miami

Virgil

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

This D-line has 7-9 legit starting caliber players on it. Even the guys like Johnson and AJ rounding out the rotation are still decent to solid players in their own right. I have never seen a D-line in Buffalo have such tremendous depth. Both sides of the line are deep. The O-line has several players on the bench that could start for a lot of teams in the league.

I think both lines are similar. Nobody who is yet elite although going back to after the bye last year Dion Dawkins's form has been pretty close but a lot of players who are good to very good who can come in and out without a lot of drop off.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I think both lines are similar. Nobody who is yet elite although going back to after the bye last year Dion Dawkins's form has been pretty close but a lot of players who are good to very good who can come in and out without a lot of drop off.

I like Ed Oliver to be the elite guy on the D-line, I think he will be a Pro-Bowl player this year and down the line a possible All-Pro. But I do agree that the line is more so comprised of Average players in depth roles and moderately above average players starting. The O-line is a sum of their parts. Mitch in my opinion is a top 5 center, elite top 3 pass protecting center and an average or so run blocker but a key leader at a position where that matters a lot. Dawkins is a lower top 10 LT but the rest of the O-line are solid players. Spain solid middle of the road guard, Ford is a decent player, Feliciano a solid starting caliber guard, Ty a solid tackle, Winters is a high end backup low end starter and Bates a swiss army knife good depth player. 

Overall I am impressed at the depth on both sides of the line. The O-line is built more so in the vein of the Giants O-lines from the late 2000's and early 2010's. Five average to above average players who have great chemistry with one another and play as a strong unit. There might not be a lot of elite perennial Pro-Bowl talent on there but there is no weak link and the chemistry will hopefully (if they can keep Mongo for 2-3 more years and Ford continues to improve) be there to the point where so many of these guys have 3-4 years playing with each other.  

7 minutes ago, TBBills said:

That is fine keep them out against a garbage team like the Dolphins, get the easy win and have them back next week against an actual NFL team.

No win in the NFL should be taken for granted. Edumonds and Milano being out will make the middle of the defense vulnerable. Klein I think I can fill in at one position and be decent but hopefully the other guys can hold the fort for one game. I do agree that it is better to even risk losing to Miami than to risk injury to two critical starters especially if the risk to losing in Miami is lower than average.

5 hours ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

Oh and I forgot to mention the Bobby Wagner comparison...god forbid both of our linebackers aren't BOTH as good as the best or second best linebacker in the past ten years.  Total bums, get em outta here!

Gotta love armchair warriors who think that a player is mailing it in because of an injury.

You are an absolute moron.

I would’ve just consider his user name, his avatar and his post #’s and just moved on.  Likely young troll.

27 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Apparently I'm not smart enough to see what you see about McDermott holding back injury information from the public.

Help me see what you see. Help me understand why it's douchy. I'm always open to learning something.

Feel free to contribute. Help me learn something new. Why is McDermott holding back injury info from the public considered a douchy thing to do?

Bingo. Very apparent. Now you’re just being obnoxious. I’m done witchoo.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Dodson is fast. He will have to play Milano's role I imagine. Klein will play more traditional mike and they will play a lot of nickel with Siran in as a bigger guy rather than Taron. 

That is what I expect anyway.

This comment from Lorax today makes me think Dodson at MLB

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I like Ed Oliver to be the elite guy on the D-line, I think he will be a Pro-Bowl player this year and down the line a possible All-Pro. But I do agree that the line is more so comprised of Average players in depth roles and moderately above average players starting. The O-line is a sum of their parts. Mitch in my opinion is a top 5 center, elite top 3 pass protecting center and an average or so run blocker but a key leader at a position where that matters a lot. Dawkins is a lower top 10 LT but the rest of the O-line are solid players. Spain solid middle of the road guard, Ford is a decent player, Feliciano a solid starting caliber guard, Ty a solid tackle, Winters is a high end backup low end starter and Bates a swiss army knife good depth player. 

Overall I am impressed at the depth on both sides of the line. The O-line is built more so in the vein of the Giants O-lines from the late 2000's and early 2010's. Five average to above average players who have great chemistry with one another and play as a strong unit. There might not be a lot of elite perennial Pro-Bowl talent on there but there is no weak link and the chemistry will hopefully (if they can keep Mongo for 2-3 more years and Ford continues to improve) be there to the point where so many of these guys have 3-4 years playing with each other.  

No win in the NFL should be taken for granted. Edumonds and Milano being out will make the middle of the defense vulnerable. Klein I think I can fill in at one position and be decent but hopefully the other guys can hold the fort for one game. I do agree that it is better to even risk losing to Miami than to risk injury to two critical starters especially if the risk to losing in Miami is lower than average.

This is Fitzpatrick we are talking about... If they are playing well he will give us some INTs to make sure they lose.

One thing I heard bantered about on the podcasts during TC was that McDermott was playing Darryl Johnson at OLB. They just  couldn’t actually report it. They said he was lining up all over. So I wonder if that’s a look we see this week. I also could see a guy like dean Marlowe on the TE

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TBBills said:

This is Fitzpatrick we are talking about... If they are playing well he will give us some INTs to make sure they lose.

I think if Fitz is going to cut this team up it is going to be in the short and mid-range game. And with Milano and Edumonds out I could see Klein (who is a better run defender than a pass defender) being picked on in the short range game. Fitz did have some success passing last year too. I just wouldn't get too confident about this game, yes I expect the Bills to win even with Milano and Edumonds out but this isn't going to be an easy win especially with the two LB's out.

If I had to predict the score I would say 31-21 Bills but the Bills are only up one score late. It just seems like one of those trap type games where the injuries to the LB corps can be exploited by the Fins in the passing game. 

Given the pathetic state of the Phins, McD may be taking a calculated gamble to protect some key pieces of the defense for the long haul.  They already play a lot of "Big Nickel" and Miami is not much of a threat to run the ball.  Their best offensive weapon is hurting and will be a game time decision.  I expect to see a lot of single high safety coverage and Poyer being in the box most of the time. Klein and company don't need to be spectacular, just solid with no blown assignments. The Bills have some tough games in upcoming weeks and will need Milano and Edmunds healthy for those games.

I also expect the Bills offense to run the ball a lot given Miami's weak front seven.  Hopefully get a lead, burn up the clock, and play solid pass defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

My sense is that Edmunds will be back for the Rams but Milano will be out indefinitely. Dodson will get a chance to prove we don't need to pay Milano. I am somewhat concerned with Edmunds out but we should still be able to shut down their offense. Defensive line will have to pick up the slack this week. If the offense plays efficiently again, Miami won't be able to take advantage of the LBs. I just hope it doesn't get so close that we have to rely on Bass to win it for us...

6 hours ago, beavis said:

The NFL. This isn't middle school cheer.

I think the correct answer is this Beavis is a troll. Edmunds chosen for first pro bowl before he could legally drink and when he is on the field (which needs to be more) Milano just makes plays. You on the other hand make senseless posts to frustrate this fine board. So in conclusion Edmunds and Milano very good LBers who will be missed and you are an annoying, nonsensical troll

E929CD8C-A231-474F-B9BE-75986AE2D5B9.jpeg

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

My sense is that Edmunds will be back for the Rams but Milano will be out indefinitely. Dodson will get a chance to prove we don't need to pay Milano. I am somewhat concerned with Edmunds out but we should still be able to shut down their offense. Defensive line will have to pick up the slack this week. If the offense plays efficiently again, Miami won't be able to take advantage of the LBs. I just hope it doesn't get so close that we have to rely on Bass to win it for us...

If Milano was going to miss more than 2 games they would have decided to move him to the 3 game IR

3 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

If Milano was going to miss more than 2 games they would have decided to move him to the 3 game IR

McDermott said it's too early to say if either one will go on IR. Edmunds at least was on the practice field with a non-contact jersey. Milano didn't practice at all. Hamstring injuries are notoriously prolonged so I'm not getting my hopes up.

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Dodson is fast. He will have to play Milano's role I imagine. Klein will play more traditional mike and they will play a lot of nickel with Siran in as a bigger guy rather than Taron. 

That is what I expect anyway.

This defense is designed to keep everything in front of you and not give up the big play of 20+ yards. It will hurt not having our stud LBs but hopefully our D front can control the LOS and our DBs can contain the intermediate stuff. I expect a lot of nickel with our beefy guys Butler, Jefferson, maybe Zimmer seeing more run.

I am in a different place on this. 

I love Milano and Edmunds, but my fear of Miami was them trying to run it down our throat - ala how NE does some times - especially with the injuries at WR.

I think Dodson and Klein may end up being better run fit stoppers and therefore give some size and power to stop that and when the Dolphins have to pass - we will bring in Marlowe or Neal to better cover and go very small.

We all know Fitz has an ability to be God or God Da.. bad - so I am hoping we can bottle up the run and get Fitztragic passing and be alright.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I am in a different place on this. 

I love Milano and Edmunds, but my fear of Miami was them trying to run it down our throat - ala how NE does some times - especially with the injuries at WR.

I think Dodson and Klein may end up being better run fit stoppers and therefore give some size and power to stop that and when the Dolphins have to pass - we will bring in Marlowe or Neal to better cover and go very small.

We all know Fitz has an ability to be God or God Da.. bad - so I am hoping we can bottle up the run and get Fitztragic passing and be alright.

Whether it’s pass, run or triple option, in no way, shape or form are Dodson or Klein in the same league as Milano and Edmunds. Don’t fool yourself, Dodson and Klein are a sharp drop off and Fitz or Chan Gailey can take them apart. Bills may need 30 points to win. 

Edited by Max Fischer

33 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

2 games ago: Crushing failure to tackle in a playoff OT loss.
1 game ago: Hurt themselves.
This game: Out with an injury which could be treated with Tylenol.

No cause for the pity party. I wish them success and hope they turn this disaster around. Foolish not to start scouting LBs. Please find a playmaker.

On his age, they do not score points on a curve. Win now league, no projects. Outside of coach and QB, which are once in a decade opportunities, everyone else is a dime a dozen in the NFL. Don't crash the space launch because you went cheap on the o-rings.

Edited by beavis