Happy Burrow not in AFC East

gmanbfan

Burrow looked good for a rookie, especially on a short week.

I don't know that he flashed one single "special" play the past two weeks, though. Something that makes you sit up and go "Wow! Not many guys could do that!".

Ya know who DOES make me feel that way on a weekly basis?

Joshua Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

For a rookie in his first two starts on a bad team, Burrow looks pretty impressive.  He is really poised and composed while the bullets are flying and with that bad OL, they are certainly flying.  He doesn't have Allen's physical abilities and thus has a lower ceiling, but his mental processing of the game is certainly ahead of where Allen was when he started.  If the Bungles can build up an OL around him, Burrow will be a good one, potentially a very good one.  If Allen continues to progress and cuts down on the ball security issues, he will be a great one.  Both guys are gamers and will be among the future stars of the league - mind you, Allen has a change to be a star of the league THIS year.   This isn't to say that either guy will achieve these levels, but as far as style of play, I would compare Burrow to Brady and Allen to Elway.  Both are cerebral and athletic, but Brady is more cerebral and less athletic than Elway and Burrow is more cerebral than Allen, but less athletic.  (As to Brady's athleticism, he is not a fast runner, but he's always been an effective scrambler and has great hand-eye coordination - he was an excellent baseball player in high school and college and was drafted by the Montreal Expos.)

23 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I dunno...his surrounding cast looked pretty awful to me.   I was impressed by what he was able to do without much help.

Awful, OK fine, but maybe your memory is a little bad.  The Bills WRs in 2018  were K Benjamin, Z Jones, Holmes, McCloud, and their star by seasons end was likely Foster with a TE of Clay and Croom who again by seasons end was the better of the two.

So if the Bengal's cast was awful, what would you call the Bills?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

I recall the NFL world drooling over Mayfield after his first few starts as well.

Since then, it's been a pretty up-and-down journey.

Defenses eventually adjust.  Coordinators will discover Burrow's weaknesses, and then start taking away what he does best.  

Then it will be on Burrow to improve his game and continue developing.  It's not about being successful as a rookie.  It's about being successful over the long haul.

Just look at Josh Allen.  In his first season, he was an absolute All-Pro running the ball.  But he struggled pretty badly as a passer.  

As a sophomore, coordinators switched things up and those running lanes weren't so wide open.  Allen was forced to do more with his arm, because teams weren't just going to let him run wild every game.  The times he struggled the most were against defenses who played heavy Cover 0 looks and crowded the box, and when opponents dared him to make plays downfield. 

One of best moments from Sunday was on Allen's touchdown pass to John Brown.  He quickly recognized the Jets in Cover 0, audibled to a new play at the line, and then proceeded to make the scoring play.  Allen wouldn't have made that play early in his career.  

That’s pretty much what I said, 👍

• Like (+1) 1

Burrow totally impressed me last night.  Watching him stand in the pocket gave me agita, and I was surprised to see he stood at 6'4" because when the pocket started to close, it looked like it was closing over him, just not around him. But for his second NFL game, the dude was throwing some pretty nice balls and did a great job moving the chains. I understand he didn't have time for a deep ball, but it was impressive to see him not try to force hero balls and just take what he could get.

After his second drive that ended with the snap that went past him as he tried to call time out, followed by another quick seven by Cleveland, I thought it was over. But Burrow came back relatively unrattled.

If Cincinnati had anything that even remotely resembled a pass rush or run defense, Burrow wins that game last night.

Browns got off the schnide, which was desperately needed for the fan base, and Mayfield's throws looked really good when he had time. But I'm very curious to see what happens when he plays against better defenses as the season moves along.

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Awful, OK fine, but maybe your memory is a little bad.  The Bills WRs in 2018  were K Benjamin, Z Jones, Holmes, McCloud, and their star by seasons end was likely Foster with a TE of Clay and Croom who again by seasons end was the better of the two.

So if the Bengal's cast was awful, what would you call the Bills?

lol....yes the Bills offense was pretty bad two years ago, but that OL for Cincy is scary bad.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

But it's most likely true -- he's clearly wayyyyy ahead of where Allen was in start #2 and seems to have all the intangibles. 

I'm not so sure that is a winning argument. Have we forgotten that quickly that this is Allen's start #2 where he won a game on the road in a game against one of the highest point spreads of the last decade.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m happy he’s on the Bengals. He might not be in the AFC East, but his teams could still be a hurdle in the playoffs. Luckily, he got drafted by a team that never spends money to keep talent, or acquire free agent playmakers. The Pegula’s have been willing to spend money on this team. Allen’s continued growth combined with solid leadership from McD and Beane makes me less afraid of Burrow in the conference. 

4 hours ago, Halloween Land said:

He's going to be better than Allen if not already! 

Allen is like 8 months older than him, would you rather have Allen going into year three with this team, staff and system, or burrow as he is right now, as a rookie, with this team? just curious, assuming they both have the same amount of years left in their career, but burrow has more time on rookie contract.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Heitz said:

^ Two games does not a career make.

He looks real good in an O designed to be like his college O, but is that sustainable?  Let's give it a minute to see how he develops, how D coordinators adjust to him, etc.  

Not saying he's not going to be good, but I'm also not busting out the Jump to Conclusions mat just yet...

:beer:

The easiest time to look great as a QB is before opposing DC's have enough game tape on you. Considering there was no pre-season to get ANY tape on him, that even makes it easier in the beginning. Let's see what happens after the 4th or 5th game...Wentz started off on fire also but then crashed back down to earth as a rookie and looked mostly bad after a great start...

I think Burrow will be a very good QB in the league but let's wait until DC's have enough tape on him to adequately prepare for what he does wel/doesn't do well and then see if he can adjust to it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I watched the first half and looked at the always well done official Youtube highlights for the 2nd half just now. He really is the real deal. He was truly impressive.

LOL @ at people wanting him over Josh. WTH is wrong with you? He is the #1 draft pick, there are stars all over the league we'll never get... and he is one. You support your team or you don't! GO JOSH!!