TNF: Bengals at Browns 8:20 Eastern on NFLN

11 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Browns look pretty damn good, granted it is only against the Bengals.  But hard to ignore how powerful Chubb and Hunt are together.  I think Aikman was on to something when he said Chubb looks like Marshawn Lynch.  I like Stefanski's offense.  They may not be pushovers a lot longer.  I have to say though, as much as I pull for the Browns (and Bengals for that matter) in general, is there a more unlikeable trio of players than Mayfield, OBJ and Landry? All talented players, no doubt, but just hard to like them.

Burrows had some gaffes, but looks like he is going to be pretty good.  Showed real poise a few times tonight, and so accurate.  Pro football in Ohio may be pretty interesting for the next ten years or so.

agreed, I’d like to add Kareem hunt to the list of unlike able players though

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Whoa.

Baker goes from league worst  4.8 y/a after Week 1 to post 9.5 y/a tonight.

Somebody was looking to drive the ball the down the field tonight.

And Burrows!  Woooo-eeeeee.  Love’em.

By 2022...watch out.

It has nothing to do with Baker. It was the defenses he faced.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Is Baker the only QB who gets docked on good performances based on the lousy teams he goes against?

I mean what gives?

I was referring only to his yards per attempt stat. The big difference eis likely due to the disparate caliber of defenses he faced week 1 vs 2. I said nothing bad about him.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

So my Friday morning thoughts after watching TNF.....

1. The Browns obituary was written prematurely. What happened to them on Sunday was embarrassing but they will not be the only team Baltimore embarrass this season. The Ravens are really, really good. 

2. That said, there are legitimate concerns about the Browns defense. They are missing a real playmaker in the secondary (which when you remember they selected Denzel Ward ahead of the likes of Bradley Chubb and Quinton Nelson is disappointing) but more than their defensive backs I think the bigger issue is at linebacker. Burrows wasn't beating them with bombs he was slicing and dicing them using his tight ends, backs and Boyd in the slot. None of their linebackers can cover. It is sufficiently serious that if I were their GM I'd be on the phone trying to trade for someone who can run and cover. It is a major achilles heel. 

3. Baker looked really good in the Stefanski scheme. Yes he got too greedy on the interception 2nd half but the half field reads were helping him be more decisive and he wasn't holding the ball as long as he was at times last season in the mess that Kitchens was running. 

4. Nick Chubb - ELITE. 

5. Joe Burrow had a decent night. Not perfect, there were some throws he would like back but credit Zac Taylor and the Bengals for essentially building a system with a lot of familiarity for him from LSU. The one major criticism I'd make, and I did say this in my scouting report on him coming out, is I think he overrates his athletic ability. He took a few hits and sacks on plays where he thinks he can be a runner in the NFL and he can't. He plays with a bit of that Andrew Luck / Josh Allen linebacker style mentality but he isn't the athlete Luck was and certainly isn't the athlete Allen is. Overall though this season for the Bengals is more about Burrow than Ws... and so far, so good. 

6. When AJ Green was linked with the Bills in a trade last season I said I was skeptical he could be what he was after all of the injuries. So far through two games I see a guy who is trying to adapt his game to become more of a possession type receiver in the way that Larry Fitz did. There might be a couple of years left in him as that. But the explosive, downfield playmaker that he once was? Yea.... those days are gone. 

7. That was an entertaining football game. 

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Yeah I wanted Green but I have to say he's a shell of what he was, at this point. He would have made some of those catches a couple years ago i.e. the back shoulder throw. Good thing we got Diggsy.

At this stage of their respective careers AJ Green is a piece. He is not THE piece in the way Diggs is.

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Burrow deserves better than this defense.

Whoever gets Zac Taylor’s job next year will be getting some decent pieces on offense. 

If Burrow continues to play like this and the Benglas fire Zac Taylor they are crazy. Keep the offensive side in tact, fire Anarumo and hire an experienced defensive coordinator (might require Mike Brown to put his hand in his pocket though which rarely happens) and draft defense early and often and that team could turnaround quickly next year. The last thing you do is remove the offensive head coach and offensive coordinator who has helped the rook look so comfortable between his 1st and 2nd year because your defense sucks. That is the sort of move BAD franchises make.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because it's his name?

His last name is Mayfield. People generally refer to football players with their last name. You'll see people make whole lists of quarterbacks, or they'll mention 10 quarterbacks in a paragraph and Mayfield will be the only one whose last name is replaced by his first name. It's just a strange phenomenon to me. It's not like his last name is something hard to spell or pronounce, like Lotulelei.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

was Shaunta also known as the Big Cat?

Average defense my ass.

That defense was trash dude. A confused, unprepared disaster led by two morons.

The offense average 26 PPG and were a top 10 scoring unit that year. I’ve had this discussion many times and many times been proven correct so you can go look up the games for yourself if you really want to. 

If it was trash, why weren’t we bottom 3 in defensive scoring?  We were middle of the pack.  
I guess you don’t measure a defense by the points given up...but you will offensive scoring lol?  Why is that?

LOL you’ve been proven correct?  This is something that you can be proven correct?  Something subjective?

Edited by Royale with Cheese