Deion Sanders named HC of Jackson State (T.O. as WR coach)

YoloinOhio

Assuming this is true, I'd love to know what his motivation is. Definitely not something I'd expect from Neon.

I remember a story from years ago about how he loved fishing and grew up fishing off bridges and his quote was "if it's good enough for my bait, it's good enough for my plate!". Always loved that line but it seemed out of character (i.e - humble) to me based on his public persona.  Prime Time as a Head Coach is a head scratcher for me, seems out of character. Regardless, I wish him well.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Being a coach at that level is a lot of hard work in relative obscurity. I figured Deon prefers the spotlight. But there he is doing it. Wish him success.

Yeah, I would think the job he has -- get paid a lot to sit around and share shallow observations about football -- is much more suitable for him.  

And me.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Being a coach at that level is a lot of hard work in relative obscurity. I figured Deon prefers the spotlight. But there he is doing it. Wish him success.

Yeah, lots of uninteresting administrative stuff, bureaucracy,  organization, delegation. Lots of behind the scenes thankless work..  Seems so different than what his personality suggests fits him. 

Was he ever even a team captain in the nfl? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

his name alone puts him ahead of 90% of the coaches in recruiting and by jumping straight to head coach he doesn’t have to develop or prove any scheme. He can simply be a motivator and close signings unlike your average obscure name at that level 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, NoSaint said:

his name alone puts him ahead of 90% of the coaches in recruiting and by jumping straight to head coach he doesn’t have to develop or prove any scheme. He can simply be a motivator and close signings unlike your average obscure name at that level 

That will work in the short term

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Fighting Siran Neals... wait nvm he went to Jacksonville St

I went to Jacksonville State.  People get us confused all the time with Jackson State or they think we were in Florida.  What's even funnier is there is a Jacksonville University in Florida and when I was there, we were in the same conference.  

• Haha (+1) 1

As another poster said, Deion has been a high school coach for a long time.  He was the OC at his sons school as recently as this month, so its not all that surprising he would be moving up a level.  

I imagine he will try to use this job as a stepping stone to the Florida State job which I believe he wanted to be considered for before they hired Mike Norvell.