Keeping a freezer in an unheated space over the winter

SoTier

Somebody I know has had a freezer in their detached garage for years, and that's got me thinking about buying a small freezer to put in my own detached unheated garage or on my unheated enclosed back porch over the winter.  I don't really have a place to keep a freezer in my house.   I live in Jamestown which is only a little bit colder than right around the Buffalo suburbs.

Anybody have any experience doing this?

I know there are some issues when it comes to keeping a fridge in unconditioned spaces where the temperature between seasons fluctuates alot. I believe some of the problems depend on the season and with units that have a single compressor for both the fridge and freezer. Something about one of them not working properly because the other doesn't have to work much with the outside temperature. I don't remember all the details. I would think that a freezer, or just a fridge unit would work fine because its not trying to keep one area cool and the other area frozen. In the winter time the freezer will probably run very little while in the summer it may become over worked when it gets hot.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I know there are some issues when it comes to keeping a fridge in unconditioned spaces where the temperature between seasons fluctuates alot. I believe some of the problems depend on the season and with units that have a single compressor for both the fridge and freezer. Something about one of them not working properly because the other doesn't have to work much with the outside temperature. I don't remember all the details. I would think that a freezer, or just a fridge unit would work fine because its not trying to keep one area cool and the other area frozen. In the winter time the freezer will probably run very little while in the summer it may become over worked when it gets hot.

I sell refrigeration products, so any freezer put outdoors would need a compressor heater, and what's known as a "fan cycling control switch" which allows it to work below 20. Most of the winter, it probably would not run much at all.

• Like (+1) 2

We have a refrigerator/freezer in the garage that we unplug every year after Christmas. It gets plugged back in in April.

We have a chest freezer in the garage, and it has been there for 15 years now. *knock on wood* we have never had an issue with it running all winter long.  Our garage is attached to the house, but it is unheated.

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

I sell refrigeration products, so any freezer put outdoors would need a compressor heater, and what's known as a "fan cycling control switch" which allows it to work below 20. Most of the winter, it probably would not run much at all.

Is this something an amateur like myself can install? 

5 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

they have freezers that are specifically rated for garages expressly for this reason.

• Like (+1) 3

Thanks everyone for your answers.    I was primarily concerned that the cold temps would hurt the freezer, but it seems that it will simply not run below 20 degrees unless it's a freezer designed to be placed in cold places. 

I have a second fridge in my I heated garage. It’s a cheap Frigidaire model without the heater that enables the unit to run when the temp gets low. I bought and installed it and it runs really well all through the winter. 

The heater kicks in and makes the compressor cool things down. 

On 9/18/2020 at 9:02 AM, SoTier said:

Thanks everyone for your answers.    I was primarily concerned that the cold temps would hurt the freezer, but it seems that it will simply not run below 20 degrees unless it's a freezer designed to be placed in cold places. 

Years ago I had an old refrigerator in my garage.  When it got cold during the winter it would turn off both the refrigerator and freezer sides.  I used a hack a friend told me to remedy this.  I hung an incandescent bulb behind it near the sensor during the coldest part of the winter and it worked fine from then on.  Obviously go with a freezer made for cold places if you can, but if you’re ever in a pinch.......

• Like (+1) 1