Cover1: Extensive Breakdown of Josh's performance

DrDawkinstein

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Every great QB in history has had turnovers lose them games, including anyone you would put in the top 10 all time, and some of them did it in playoffs and Super Bowl too.

Sorry, this logic seems like you’re waiting for one play to say “See I told you so” when in reality it’s 100% guaranteed to happen to every QB in the league, including Josh.

Watching Tracey Porter walk into the endzone in the Colts-Saints super bowl is still burned into my brain.  Was watching with a friend from Indiana who rode hard for the Colts.  Ten years on and I think he still hasn't recovered.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Real McNasty said:

Daboll is doing a great job helping develop Allen.

Allen's completion percentage throwing to the right side of the field was 100% on 11 attempts last week = HOT DAMN!

I agree with this and also Daboll maybe finally has enough weapons to run the kind of offense he wants , also you can tell he trusts Allen more and more 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeviF91 said:

Watching Tracey Porter walk into the endzone in the Colts-Saints super bowl is still burned into my brain.  Was watching with a friend from Indiana who rode hard for the Colts.  Ten years on and I think he still hasn't recovered.

One of the greatest moments in NFL history. :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Excellent commentary.  

On the Beasley underthrow, I would also have mentioned that Josh probably still is learning to deal with the wind.  It's tough to have the confidence to lead Beasley downfield with the wind howling from Josh's backside.   

I think Josh is overestimating the effects of the wind, on that throw and on the overthrow of Brown in the open end zone. 

Touch throws are generally not compatible with windy conditions and we never really get to know the effects it has on decision making and the actual throws.  Hopefully Josh learns to expertly play the conditions and the visiting QBs struggle with them but that Eagles game last year was quite the opposite.  His deep passes might evolve toward being flatter as he opts to throw balls with less "hang time" and therefore less wind affected.  Something to always consider, especially for home games.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Every great QB in history has had turnovers lose them games, including anyone you would put in the top 10 all time, and some of them did it in playoffs and Super Bowl too.

Sorry, this logic seems like you’re waiting for one play to say “See I told you so” when in reality it’s 100% guaranteed to happen to every QB in the league, including Josh.

No...I am stating that the poster saying he is not stressing over Allen’s recklessness with the football, appears to be a bit of a fib. 

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

Was the straight head spear to Allen at 1:06 called on the pretty 50/50 to Knox?

Yes it was.  As was the one on the earlier play were the Jet defender dove and took out the back of Josh’s leg after the throw.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Had to break it up into a few different sections, but finally made it all the way through.

Wow

First off, great coverage. The sports networks dont come anywhere close to this level of deep analysis and educating the viewer. Even with former professional QBs on staff.

I know it's just one game, but the progress Josh has shown is huge. If he keeps it up, we're in for a heck of a ride.

• Like (+1) 2

Finished this last night during the game. 
Good breakdown. You see JA getting it but still with things to work on.
    I’m Allen’s biggest fan but these guys were entering apologist territory from time to time. 
   He isn’t the most accurate and never will be. If Cam could do it, so can Josh. 

Allen had an unbelievable start, but also let some old habits creep in

If you were excited about the offense’s start to the season, it’s completely justifiable. The Bills were moving the ball at will, offensive coordinator Brian Daboll kept the Jets guessing, and most importantly, Allen was terrific. The two lost fumbles were regrettable errors and prevented the Bills from potentially going into the half with 35 points to their name. Though, they did not undo all the good that Allen cooked up early against the Jets. Allen was getting the ball out of his hands quickly. He anticipated what the defense would do pre-snap and helped his quick decisions. He shook off defenders with excellent contact balance, kept plays alive and had the Jets fearful of his running ability throughout. In an offense specifically designed for Allen’s unique skill set, which utilizes misdirection runs and the intermediate passing attack, the Bills were on fire. For those first five drives, Allen was patient, decisive, took what the defense gave him and showed all the ways in which he has grown as a quarterback since coming to Buffalo.

There was no better example of Allen’s progress than on his touchdown pass to Zack Moss. It may have seemed like just a dump-off into the end zone, but it was so much more than that. It was a culmination of the last three years working with Daboll and just how far Allen has come, as he picked apart an eight-man coverage in the red zone. It was a rep so good, it’s worthy of a step-by-step look with photographic evidence.

Allen took the snap and went to his first read to the right, wide receiver Stefon Diggs. Allen quickly recognized three defenders were surrounding Diggs and would require a reckless throw that could be a turnover. He decided to move on.

Allen knew his next two reads were to the left and did a mini-hop to correctly position his feet. His next read was John Brown on a slant to the back of the end zone — a safety was perfectly positioned. He moved on to Gabriel Davis on a crossing pattern. Davis didn’t have separation, and the cornerback from Brown’s route came down to help on Davis. Allen saw both developments and moved on again.

Allen brought his body back center and next looked for Moss, his fourth option, only to see Moss bracketed by two Jets defenders. He knew that wouldn’t be the right move, either.

But while Allen looked for Moss, he glanced back to Diggs, his original read. Allen saw Diggs put on the brakes and cut to the right of the end zone, which is his cue to change up the throwing angle and decrease the likelihood of an interception. Allen began running toward the right.

Diggs was temporarily open and Allen, in his first or second season, probably would take the bait. That version of Allen probably thought his arm could beat that defender to the spot. But experience told him differently. This year’s Allen spotted the cornerback to the right and knew there was a good chance of a turnover. He didn’t take the bait.

Allen then turned his attention back to Moss, now his sixth (!) read on the play. However, that was where Allen’s running prowess came into play. The Jets defenders who originally bracketed Moss were cued by Allen’s scrambling to attack the quarterback. They took the bait and Moss was wide open in the end zone.

Allen waited for the precise second to split the two oncoming defenders and put an on-the-money throw to Moss. The cornerback who initially drifted back to Diggs made a last-ditch effort but wound up 2 yards from Moss. In total, Allen took 6.73 seconds to make the throw. However, in that time, he took advantage of a three-man rush, worked through six different reads, manipulated the defense with his eyes and leg and put a throw on point for a touchdown. That is the definition of progress.

There is no debating Allen’s start to the game. He was sensational outside of the fumbles. However, as the game went on and his running ability wasn’t as much of a factor, a few old bad habits returned in spots. Allen left the pocket without the threat of a rush on a handful of plays. He tried to force a ball into a spot where there were multiple defenders and narrowly avoided turnovers. Unlike how he operated in the first half, Allen wasn’t taking the intermediate gains the defense was giving him and instead hoped for something bigger to open up. His accuracy waned as well, missing two potential touchdown chances, one to Brown and the other to Cole Beasley. The Bills were waiting for the strike to finish the Jets, and Allen never delivered it in the second half.

If Allen can bring that dynamic first half consistently throughout a game, and not drift back into those bad habits, the Bills could be on to something with their quarterback. Now he has to prove he can find that level of consistency and take over games, and against someone other than the Jets.

Edited by HappyDays

On 9/17/2020 at 12:50 PM, Real McNasty said:

Was the straight head spear to Allen at 1:06 called on the pretty 50/50 to Knox?

I haven't seen anything of NFL fines this week.  If Josh did not get up, we are likely talking a whole different conversation this week.  There may have been a fight, a concussion or maybe a broken jaw.  We aren't talking about the 2 fumbles or if Josh is going to get hurt on a designed run play.  This is a late, helmet to helmet, launched, both feet off the ground,  hit.  The fine should be big for Basham.  

NFL Player Fines.jpg

Ball leaves Josh's hand.JPG

Launched into helmet.JPG

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2