Cover1: Extensive Breakdown of Josh's performance

DrDawkinstein

Watched a little over half. Anyone that is still saying Josh isn’t getting it needs to play this video. 

He is leaps and bounds from where he was in his rookie year and is clearly in much more control of this offense, reading D’s and has better control of his body. 

Great stuff!

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 6

If he ever gets his footwork down he could reach mvp level status in the league. 
I was extremely impressed with his game but it was the Jets. He had great control of the offense. The one thing I can always say about the kid is he improves non stop. That’s why I don’t stress over the fumble stuff too much because he’s constantly evolving his game and fixing his mistakes. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

If he ever gets his footwork down he could reach mvp level status in the league. 
I was extremely impressed with his game but it was the Jets. He had great control of the offense. The one thing I can always say about the kid is he improves non stop. That’s why I don’t stress over the fumble stuff too much because he’s constantly evolving his game and fixing his mistakes. 

But...but...he never dominated at the college level!!!

Sincerely,

Jelly Biscuit

Edited by eball
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

outstanding breakdown...Allen's mechanics look so much better than last year overall....still has a few issues from time to time, but he has obviously worked very hard at cleaning up a lot of this stuff and it is showing.

Now you see why his teammates and former teammates are so high on him...the dude is just a baller and just keeps improving and improving and working on the things he needs to correct.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think he has the footwork down, what he doesn't have is having the footwork down consistently every play.  The times he'd forget get less and less , but still maybe panics on occasion and forgets everything he's been taught and reverts back to bad habits.  The more you practice it the more it becomes 2nd nature, but likely still not 100% there yet, getting closer though.

• Like (+1) 2

Not related to the link but found this interesting: https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/view/offense/table/passing/sort/passingYards/dir/desc

The vast majority of QB’s were under 70% completion percentage in week one. Could be attributed to Covid but, either way, Josh is towards the top in both yards and completion percentage. 

13 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Not related to the link but found this interesting: https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/view/offense/table/passing/sort/passingYards/dir/desc

The vast majority of QB’s were under 70% completion percentage in week one. Could be attributed to Covid but, either way, Josh is towards the top in both yards and completion percentage. 

most are under 70% most weeks. 

josh will be under 70% most weeks.

he played a solid well schemed game against a lesser opponent. He did what he was supposed to do and did it very well. If he hits that standard (handling his business, not 70%) we will be in great shape.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

most are under 70% most weeks. 

josh will be under 70% most weeks.

he played a solid well schemed game against a lesser opponent. He did what he was supposed to do and did it very well. If he hits that standard (handling his business, not 70%) we will be in great shape.

I would love to see him hover in that range (68-72%) as it would silence the doubters finally. 

I don’t recall most being in the low 60’s: I could be wrong (there’s a first time for everything! 😃). 

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

That’s why I don’t stress over the fumble stuff too much because he’s constantly evolving his game and fixing his mistakes. 

Allen has improved a lot since his rookie year, but don’t kid yourself, the first time an Allen turnover costs the Bills a game, you will be “stressing over it”.  😉

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Nerves have always seem to effect his game... I'm curious if no crowd has been helping him out 

I've commented about him a few times concerning this.

I wouldn't call it "nerves", I see it more along the lines of getting too amped up.

The fact that there are no (very few) fans for the next few weeks will help him focus and I hope that carries on when fans return.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I've commented about him a few times concerning this.

I wouldn't call it "nerves", I see it more along the lines of getting too amped up.

The fact that there are no (very few) fans for the next few weeks will help him focus and I hope that carries on when fans return.

He clearly gets amped to play but it seems he is able to not let it be too big a negative. To my eyes he made 4 bad plays but only really hurt us. The other two we got to fight another play which is an improvement.

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Just imagine if he hit Beasley in stride and Brown in the back of the endzone.  He would have had 360 yards and 2 more TD passes.  

Allen played very well.  If he did connects on those two balls....he's the NFL Offensive Player of the week.  

Just one of those throws woulda done it I think. He sorta has a solid argument for it as is. 

Excellent commentary.  

On the Beasley underthrow, I would also have mentioned that Josh probably still is learning to deal with the wind.  It's tough to have the confidence to lead Beasley downfield with the wind howling from Josh's backside.   

I think Josh is overestimating the effects of the wind, on that throw and on the overthrow of Brown in the open end zone. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Allen has improved a lot since his rookie year, but don’t kid yourself, the first time an Allen turnover costs the Bills a game, you will be “stressing over it”.  😉

Every great QB in history has had turnovers lose them games, including anyone you would put in the top 10 all time, and some of them did it in playoffs and Super Bowl too.

Sorry, this logic seems like you’re waiting for one play to say “See I told you so” when in reality it’s 100% guaranteed to happen to every QB in the league, including Josh.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4