Current TBD Whipping Boy?

Since Star is not here this season, who is the current TBD whipping boy?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Deserved or not, who do you think is the current TBD whipping boy?

• Trent Murphy (always injured, costs too much)
    • Cody Ford (he's a bust, can't play tackle)
    • Dawson Knox (can't catch, his hair is too curly)
    • Cole Beasley (too short, no chemistry with Josh, too many drops)
    • Ed Oliver (he's a bust, no stats, did he even play?)
    • Other (please elaborate below)

14 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Out of curiosity, what did you think of his play Sunday?

Thought he got good rush. I don't have any concerns about him as a pass rusher. A game like that where the Bills are up early and the opponents have to pass suits him.But he is a liability in the run game. His lane discipline is awful. 

He has some value as a situational rusher it just isn't the value of his contract. I don't mind him being here. The Bills are in win now mode. Overpaying a guy who gets some pass rush isn't the worst thing in the world for a team in our position.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Thought he got good rush. I don't have any concerns about him as a pass rusher. A game like that where the Bills are up early and the opponents have to pass suits him.But he is a liability in the run game. His lane discipline is awful. 

He has some value as a situational rusher it just isn't the value of his contract. I don't mind him being here. The Bills are in win now mode. Overpaying a guy who gets some pass rush isn't the worst thing in the world for a team in our position.

You don't think he was much better against the run than he has been in the past? I feel like I saw a distinct improvement, even on the inside.

Edited by Rocky Landing

6 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

You don't think he was much better against the run than he has been in the past? I feel like I saw a distinct improvement, even on the inside.

I only actually saw him out there on 2 or 3 run snaps early in the game. Not enough sample size to make any sort of judgment.

EDIT: he played 6 run snaps. Fewest among Bills edge defenders.

Edited by GunnerBill

From reading the posts around here, I truly thought Trent Murphy was gonna get cut. I should have done my due diligence and read what reporters were saying, but I didn’t. And yea, Murphy had a pretty good game week one. 

Trent is the #1 whipping boy. 

Edited by Nick the Greek

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I only actually saw him out there on 2 or 3 run snaps early in the game. Not enough sample size to make any sort of judgment.

EDIT: he played 6 run snaps. Fewest among Bills edge defenders.

To be expected. That's how he's been used in the rotation all along. 

I voted other...Bass....I think if he is inconsistent again he will get heat 

I don't like to slag on Bills players.

Other teams players its open season :) 

30 minutes ago, 716er said:

#69 Reid Ferguson

Did we even punt?

53 yarder thats why Byork is off the hot seat ;)

26 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

To be expected. That's how he's been used in the rotation all along. 

Yes and where he struggles is where games are close and teams can persist with the run. There were 3 drives last year where teams just ran at him play after play and moved the ball on the Bills. If I a coordinator gameplanning against us I tell my QB if Murphy is out there on 1st and 2nd down just check to a run and just run right at his gap. 

He deserved his whipping boy status. It is for a reason. Behind only Adolphus Washington he is the worst run defending Dlineman I can remember in my Bills fandom.

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes and where he struggles is where games are close and teams can persist with the run. There were 3 drives last year where teams just ran at him play after play and moved the ball on the Bills. If I a coordinator gameplanning against us I tell my QB if Murphy is out there on 1st and 2nd down just check to a run and just run right at his gap. 

He deserved his whipping boy status. It is for a reason. Behind only Adolphus Washington he is the worst run defending Dlineman I can remember in my Bills fandom.

Someone argued the one day that he was good against the run. He isn’t. He’s a liability. Last year teams would just turn him to the inside and run right off of that tackle’s shoulder. That was my issue with him. He is a pretty good pash rusher. He’s bad against the run. I don’t mind the extra being spent on him (unless it is at the cost of keeping Milano). 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Someone argued the one day that he was good against the run. He isn’t. He’s a liability. Last year teams would just turn him to the inside and run right off of that tackle’s shoulder. That was my issue with him. He is a pretty good pash rusher. He’s bad against the run. I don’t mind the extra being spent on him (unless it is at the cost of keeping Milano). 

I think he’s okay against the run. Played pretty good Sunday. That said, against the Jets, early in the game he made a tackle on a run for maybe a two yard gain. But if you watched the replay close he was in position to make a TFL. He kind of loafed over, realized he could make a tackle unblocked and then went and did it. But if he realized that a split second earlier, which he easily could have imo, he could have charged and blown the play up for a loss. 

Made the tackle. Looked like a good run stop. But it really wasn’t what it should have been. 

11 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Ok,  @eball's thread about being wrong about Murphy got me thinking. If Murphy is starting to lose his whipping boy status on Two Bills Drive, who is the next man up. Last year it was Star, with Murphy and Cody Ford not too far behind.  Who is it this year, still Murphy, or has someone else taken the title? What say you?

I'm the current TBD whipping boy... go on, spank me:cry: