PlayStation 5 price & release date announced. Pre orders started. Xbox pre orders start 9/22 at 11am est.

BillsFan4

5 hours ago, shrader said:

It's good for at least netflix or some other streaming services, depending on what you use.

Especially If you have a tv app available like spectrum provides. I use my xbox one to watch tv in my bedroom. One less needed cable box, saves money.

Works great...

Edited by Figster

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-PlayStation-5-Digital-Edition/493824815?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_xNX0HETbxxyOW8bwUx0Mo3cmUkiXtZRdT3cmw40&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_312361&clickid=xNX0HETbxxyOW8bwUx0Mo3cmUkiXtZRdT3cmw40&sharedid=

@teef or anyone else looking for a PS5 pre order. More go live on Wal-Mart at 6pm pacific/9pm EST.

thats a link to the digital edition. I think they have the disc edition too.

Edited by BillsFan4

13 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

How far back do they go with the Backwards compatibility? Is it only one 'system' or is it any system prior?

I haven't had one since the PS2 but would think that its not difficult to make them so they can play back older games since they are all on disks and not changing cartridge shapes like the older consoles used to do, and if its a download it should be even easier.

looks like only ps4 games.

18 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I signed up for pre order email alerts from Best Buy, GameStop, amazon and Sony and I have yet to get a single email from any of them (even though they’re already out of stock...) 🤷‍♂️

I heard WalMart is releasing more stock on the 22nd (both online and in person iirc).

I have a feeling you may see Sony release more that day too, just to mess with the Xbox series X pre orders that go live on the 22nd. 

If I see anything I’ll shoot you a message. 

Check out @IGNDeals on Twitter. They were all over it. They were sharing links to live/in stock pre orders on every site as soon as they went live. 

Also @geoffkeighley on Twitter. He’s the one who leaked that PS5 pre orders were starting last night and he was sharing links to pre orders too. 

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

looks like only ps4 games.

thanks for looking out!

i was following the order page on ign, and actually fired up my twitter account to follow those exact same links you mentioned.  when i checked ign last night, i saw 9pm order at walmart alert and figured i'd give it a shot.  had the site up, started refreshing the page at 9, and after about 10 minutes of screwing with it, i was able to order one.  it's going to be delivered which always works out to be a pain, but at least i was able to snag one.  

xbox is going out of their way now to let people know their preorders won't go down like this.  

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, teef said:

thanks for looking out!

i was following the order page on ign, and actually fired up my twitter account to follow those exact same links you mentioned.  when i checked ign last night, i saw 9pm order at walmart alert and figured i'd give it a shot.  had the site up, started refreshing the page at 9, and after about 10 minutes of screwing with it, i was able to order one.  it's going to be delivered which always works out to be a pain, but at least i was able to snag one.  

xbox is going out of their way now to let people know their preorders won't go down like this.  

Nice! Yeah I tried to see if I could get one at 9pm, just for ***** & giggles and they showed that they were sold out within about 30 seconds of going live at 9pm. I only tried once or twice (I wasn’t actually planning on buying another) before I gave up.

Saw tons of people on Twitter bitching about how they went out of stock in 30secs.
So you are lucky you got one man!

how did you get it to work? Did you just keep refreshing the page or what?

Mine is being delivered too. Best Buy gives you the option to change it but I’m scared to. I initially tried doing store pickup but it told me that method was out of stock, so I’m scared if I switch it to store pickup it’ll cancel my order. 😂

I can wait a week or whatever it is for shipping (once it comes out).

One thing I saw mentioned about Xbox giving a time so far in advance is that people were saying it gives people a chance to set up those bots to buy em all up. Don’t know if that’s true or not. This is the first time I ever tried t9 pre order a console so this is all new to me. Guess we will see how Tuesday goes. 

Edited by BillsFan4

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Nice! Yeah I tried to see if I could get one at 9pm, just for ***** & giggles and they showed that they were sold out within about 30 seconds of going live at 9pm. I only tried once or twice (I wasn’t actually planning on buying another) before I gave up.

Saw tons of people on Twitter bitching about how they went out of stock in 30secs.
So you are lucky you got one man!

how did you get it to work? Did you just keep refreshing the page or what?

Mine is being delivered too. Best Buy gives you the option to change it but I’m scared to. I initially tried doing store pickup but it told me that method was out of stock, so I’m scared if I switch it to store pickup it’ll cancel my order. 😂

I can wait a week or whatever it is for shipping (once it comes out).

One thing I saw mentioned about Xbox giving a time so far in advance is that people were saying it gives people a chance to set up those bots to buy em all up. Don’t know if that’s true or not. This is the first time I ever tried t9 pre order a console so this is all new to me. Guess we will see how Tuesday goes. 

right when 9 hit, i was able to put one in the cart.  when i tried to go to check out, it would say out of stock, but still showed something in my cart.   i repeatedly hit checkout, and finally it took me to the address billing page.  once that was filled out, i clicked process order, and again...the out of stock alert.  i just kept clicking process order after that, and eventually one went through.  i have no idea how that works.  

picking it up is so much easier, but i'm with you...i wouldn't mess with the order.  i'm not sure how best buy does it, but walmart looks like they're going to have it at the house on the release date.  the issue always is whether or not you have to sign for the thing.

i never considered a bot problem with the xbox.  i've bought consoles on their release date many times before, but i just don't remember ever having problems like this.  i'm going to assume the the xbox sales go a bit smoother, but i'm sticking with the continual clicking strategy once it's in the cart.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The preorder thing is nonsense.  I hate how that went down.

For me, backwards compatibility is a major issue.  I really wanted it for PS5.  Actually considering making the jump back to XBox.

I would imagine they may eventually make an emulator to play old PlayStation games. But It will be backward compatible with the ps4 games from day 1. 

The Xbox (series x with the disc drive, not the digital one. That one looks crappy) actually has more raw power than the PlayStation, and Xbox game pass has tons of games + they just did a deal with EA to put their entire game catalog on the game pass. So they will soon have the entire EA lineup (60+ games) on game pass. I guess the series x is going to upscale all of the old game pass games to 4k. Sounds pretty cool.

There’s actually a really cool deal on the game pass ultimate too (which gives you game pass, Xbox gold and game pass for Windows PC). You sign up for Xbox gold (up to 3 years. Gold is 1/3 the price of game pass ultimate) and then it converts how many ever months/years you have of gold to Xbox ultimate for $1. 
I ended up doing the full 3 years since you can only get the deal 1 time. I like Xbox’s game pass a lot better than Sony’s. They have more games overall and they add new games more frequently.

I know I’ll get the Xbox eventually but I went PlayStation first just due to all the exclusive games. Plus Xbox frequently has sales on their consoles. I feel like It’s much more rare that PlayStation puts their consoles on sale. 

1 hour ago, teef said:

right when 9 hit, i was able to put one in the cart.  when i tried to go to check out, it would say out of stock, but still showed something in my cart.   i repeatedly hit checkout, and finally it took me to the address billing page.  once that was filled out, i clicked process order, and again...the out of stock alert.  i just kept clicking process order after that, and eventually one went through.  i have no idea how that works.  

picking it up is so much easier, but i'm with you...i wouldn't mess with the order.  i'm not sure how best buy does it, but walmart looks like they're going to have it at the house on the release date.  the issue always is whether or not you have to sign for the thing.

i never considered a bot problem with the xbox.  i've bought consoles on their release date many times before, but i just don't remember ever having problems like this.  i'm going to assume the the xbox sales go a bit smoother, but i'm sticking with the continual clicking strategy once it's in the cart.

you’re lucky man. They didn’t even show in stock for me and I tried exactly at 9pm too. All my friends had the same issue. I think maybe 1 of 10 different people I know who tried were able to get one.

Are you planning on pre ordering the Xbox too?  I thought about it (and I still am) but I think I’ll most likely probably hold out and see if I can catch it on sale some time in 2021.

Honestly, with how in demand these ps5’s are I thought about trying to get the Xbox pre order then if I’m able to, sell my PlayStation for 2x the money. That way I could eventually end up with both consoles for the price of 1 (I know I’d likely have to wait until 2021 to be able to get the PlayStation again, but that’s when most of their big exclusive games come out anyway. The only 2 that I know of that’ll be out at launch are ratchet & clank + the new yakuza series). I don’t even know how you’d go about selling a pre order though. It’s in my name, on my CC. How would that even work? I don’t want to be one of “those guys” anyway, scalping my PlayStation. I can’t stand the people who buy them all up and sell them for 2x the money. There were some people on eBay with 10+ consoles, all listed for ridiculous prices. Every store needs to start going to a 1 per customer limit IMO to help avoid this issue. A number of them did, so I don’t know how some people were able to buy so many. 

hey, btw, did you check out that virtual haircut video I posted above? If you have headphones you should def. check it out. It was so cool. It’s going to be so cool to play games with 3D audio. I’m in the process of upgrading my home theater too so I can’t wait to try 3D sound on my big home theater speakers!

Edited by BillsFan4

I'm just going to wait.  When the ps4 launched I bought an extra one to try and sell but they were everywhere!  I have a strong feeling that there will be no shortage of ps5s when they actually launch.  There is no way Sony will miss out on Black Friday with their new console.  

A weird place to get good deals on system's is BJs.  They almost always have a pack with an extra controller and a game or 2 for the same price as just the system.  That is my hope for Black Friday anyways.  My wife is big on not opening things early so she will try to make me wait until Christmas day.  Luckily she has no idea what they systems look like so I will put my ps4 in the box and "open" that on Christmas! :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

On 9/18/2020 at 11:40 AM, BillsFan4 said:

you’re lucky man. They didn’t even show in stock for me and I tried exactly at 9pm too. All my friends had the same issue. I think maybe 1 of 10 different people I know who tried were able to get one.

Are you planning on pre ordering the Xbox too?  I thought about it (and I still am) but I think I’ll most likely probably hold out and see if I can catch it on sale some time in 2021.

Honestly, with how in demand these ps5’s are I thought about trying to get the Xbox pre order then if I’m able to, sell my PlayStation for 2x the money. That way I could eventually end up with both consoles for the price of 1 (I know I’d likely have to wait until 2021 to be able to get the PlayStation again, but that’s when most of their big exclusive games come out anyway. The only 2 that I know of that’ll be out at launch are ratchet & clank + the new yakuza series). I don’t even know how you’d go about selling a pre order though. It’s in my name, on my CC. How would that even work? I don’t want to be one of “those guys” anyway, scalping my PlayStation. I can’t stand the people who buy them all up and sell them for 2x the money. There were some people on eBay with 10+ consoles, all listed for ridiculous prices. Every store needs to start going to a 1 per customer limit IMO to help avoid this issue. A number of them did, so I don’t know how some people were able to buy so many. 

hey, btw, did you check out that virtual haircut video I posted above? If you have headphones you should def. check it out. It was so cool. It’s going to be so cool to play games with 3D audio. I’m in the process of upgrading my home theater too so I can’t wait to try 3D sound on my big home theater speakers!

i'm going to try if i can.  i'm more of an xbox guy than anything else.  in my home office, i use it for everything...spectrum, netflix, disney plus, etc.  i just like the interface for some reason.  the time is what's killing me.  it's right in the middle of my morning, and i'm busy tomorrow, so who knows if i'll get the chance.  i'm sure i'll sign in, try, and if i get lucky...great.  i didn't expect to get a playtstation at all, and i still have a feeling something will happen to the preorder.

that being said, i think all of the consoles will be around for christmas sales.  playstation stated there will be more 5s than there were 4s at release, and i think there were plenty of 4s around that year for christmas.   there is another chance tomorrow with the 5s apparently too. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

i'm going to try if i can.  i'm more of an xbox guy than anything else.  in my home office, i use it for everything...spectrum, netflix, disney plus, etc.  i just like the interface for some reason.  the time is what's killing me.  it's right in the middle of my morning, and i'm busy tomorrow, so who knows if i'll get the chance.  i'm sure i'll sign in, try, and if i get lucky...great.  i didn't expect to get a playtstation at all, and i still have a feeling something will happen to the preorder.

that being said, i think all of the consoles will be around for christmas sales.  playstation stated there will be more 5s than there were 4s at release, and i think there were plenty of 4s around that year for christmas.   there is another chance tomorrow with the 5s apparently too. 

Same here. The Xbox has always kind of been my main system. I had a 360 so when I wanted a new system I just bought the Xbox one. I use it for everything too - spectrum, Netflix, Disney +, amazon prime. It’s actually the only way I can watch some of those apps and use the full capability of my system. Right now I have an older 1080p AV receiver so I’m hooked up with an optical cable (to avoid losing 4K video). I have 3 separate ways to watch most of those apps. But the Xbox is the only one where everything works.  On one (Roku), the surround will work but not dolby vision. On the other (built in tv apps) dolby vision works but some apps (Disney +) output sound in 2.1 channel stereo. 

I did also buy a cheap used ps4 a while back for the exclusive games. I only somewhat recently got into gaming and PlayStation definitely has the better exclusive games (I didn’t really know that until somewhat recently either). But I still like my Xbox better. Graphics are better, it runs smoother, the interface is better/easier to use. When I buy games I buy them for the Xbox, unless it’s a ps exclusive. So it’s kind of weird buying the PlayStation first. 

I’m debating trying for the preorder of the Xbox too and then just deciding which one I want. Or maybe I’ll just say F it and keep both, then buy a game for each and see which system is better, then make that my main system. I need to stop spending $$ though. I’m doing too much online shopping since this damn pandemic started...

Kind of bummed reading that there will only be a handful of games that will take full advantage of the new system’s capabilities. Most of the big AAA games have to run on the old systems too, which limits what developers can do.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/21/welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/

Today is a special day, as we welcome some of the most accomplished studios in the games industry to Xbox. We are thrilled to announce Microsoft has entered into an agreement to acquire ZeniMax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks.

Pretty huge acquisition for Microsoft.

We will be adding Bethesda’s iconic franchises to Xbox Game Pass for console and PC. One of the things that has me most excited is seeing the roadmap with Bethesda’s future games, some announced and many unannounced, to Xbox console and PC including Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios.

Woe, Xbox game pass is going to be pretty sweet between all of Bethesda’s games (sound like maybe even the new ones!) coming as well as EA’s entire (60+) game catalog.

Edited by BillsFan4

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/21/welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/

Pretty huge acquisition for Microsoft.

Woe, Xbox game pass is going to be pretty sweet between all of Bethesda’s games (sound like maybe even the new ones!) coming as well as EA’s entire (60+) game catalog.

ugh.  I hate the acquisition game.  Hopefully they dont ruin fallout and elder scrolls

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

ugh.  I hate the acquisition game.  Hopefully they dont ruin fallout and elder scrolls

Hopefully they’re not that stupid. From what I’ve read Bethesda will still operate as they have, but we will see. Xbox acquired their parent company. Im hoping that if anything it means Bethesda will have a bigger budget.

I don’t think they’ll try to go exclusive to Xbox. Why lose out on all that profit? I think this is mainly about putting ZeniMax media’s entire roster of games on the Xbox game pass. That seems to be where Xbox is pouring much of their resources. Now they can offer a bunch of 4k enhanced Bethesda games on day 1 with the new consoles, plus the new Bethesda game(s) set time come out in the next year or two. It would be pretty damn cool not to have to buy the new elder scrolls or fallout. I’m not sure if they’ll hit game pass immediately but I’m hoping they will. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.