PlayStation 5 price & release date announced. Pre orders started. Xbox pre orders start 9/22 at 11am est.

BillsFan4

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/16/21277234/ps5-playstation-5-price-release-date-sony

Sony has announced that the PlayStation 5 will cost $499.99 when it launches on November 12th, alongside the $399.99 Digital Edition. Preorders will begin on September 17th at “select retailers.”

I think I’ll be going with the PS5 first this time (vs. Xbox). I’m just not seeing a reason to buy the Xbox first. They have pretty much no exclusives launching anytime soon. I do have Xbox game pass for 2+ more years so I know I’ll get an Xbox series x eventually. But I’m planning on pre-ordering the PS5 tomorrow (if it truly becomes available for pre order tomorrow). 

The lineup of new games coming out right around the same time as the new consoles is going to be a whole lot of fun. New Assassins creed. New Far Cry. New Horizon zero dawn. New WatchDogs. Cyber punk. Ratchet & crank... 

———————————————

edit: added info on the Xbox pre order launch for anyone interested.

Edited by BillsFan4

Looks like they already went live with the pre orders and they are sold out everywhere I’m checking. Or at least I’m unable to order, I don’t know if they’re sold out or sites are just crashing.

edit - pre orders sold out at Walmart and target. Trying Best Buy. I have it in the cart but it won’t let me check out. Amazon doesn’t shoe it yet and GameStop shows it but you can’t add it to the cart.

PlayStation was supposed to give advanced notice of the pre order date. They announce today that they’ll go on sale tomorrow and suddenly they were already sold out everywhere even though they weren’t supposed to be on sale yet. Someone jumped the gun and then it was just a chain reaction. lol.

Edited by BillsFan4

😂 I was just aggravated with the way the launch went. It was total chaos. PlayStation said they’d give advanced notice of the launch date then all the sudden pre orders are live and they’re sold out almost everywhere a day before they’re even set to launch and the places that had them wouldn’t let you complete the order because the websites kept crashing. 

It fit the theme of 2020 pretty well. 😂

I ended up getting one from Best Buy. Order finally just randomly went through. I had actually given up on trying and I got a text message saying my order was complete 🤷‍♂️

I have a question if somebody can answer please?

My son has a PS4 and has done well to save money to buy plenty of games. The vast majority of which are downloads from the Playstation Store. If we get him a PS5 for Christmas and sign in with his current Playstation account details will the games he downloaded be available to play?

We'll get him a game or two for the PS5 as well but he might want to play his PS4 games as well while saving up for more PS5 games.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

😂 I was just aggravated with the way the launch went. It was total chaos. PlayStation said they’d give advanced notice of the launch date then all the sudden pre orders are live and they’re sold out almost everywhere a day before they’re even set to launch and the places that had them wouldn’t let you complete the order because the websites kept crashing. 

I ended up getting one from Best Buy. Order finally just randomly went through. I had actually given up on trying and I got a text message saying my order was complete 🤷‍♂️

it was terrible how it was put out there.  i just happened to be doing work last night and saw they were on sale.  every site crashed.  had it in a cart multiple times, only to say out of stock when entering my info.  not what i was expecting considering today was going to be the official release from what i've heard.  i'd prefer to get it at best buy as well for pick up reasons, but we'll see.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

It's because they did this a few weeks back: https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/26/21403245/sony-playstation-5-preorders-invite-only-registration-dualsense-accessories

They allowed tons of people to register and get to them early. Then retailers created the Black Friday-esque rush.

This is all just hype, though. They've made so many, it's not like there's going to be a shortage. 

4 hours ago, BritBill said:

My son has a PS4 and has done well to save money to buy plenty of games. The vast majority of which are downloads from the Playstation Store. If we get him a PS5 for Christmas and sign in with his current Playstation account details will the games he downloaded be available to play?

We'll get him a game or two for the PS5 as well but he might want to play his PS4 games as well while saving up for more PS5 games.

Cheers.

"Sony has confirmed that PS4 games will be playable on the PS5, meaning that the PlayStation 5 is backwards compatible with the PS4. This means that you’ll be able to download games that you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store on PS4 and play them on the PS5. You’ll also be able to insert physical PS4 discs into the PS5 and play them on the next-gen console. You won't be able to use physical media on the PS5 Digital Edition because it doesn't have a disc drive..."

https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/ps5-backwards-compatibility-can-you-play-ps4-games-on-playstation-5

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's because they did this a few weeks back: https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/26/21403245/sony-playstation-5-preorders-invite-only-registration-dualsense-accessories

They allowed tons of people to register and get to them early. Then retailers created the Black Friday-esque rush.

This is all just hype, though. They've made so many, it's not like there's going to be a shortage. 

"Sony has confirmed that PS4 games will be playable on the PS5, meaning that the PlayStation 5 is backwards compatible with the PS4. This means that you’ll be able to download games that you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store on PS4 and play them on the PS5. You’ll also be able to insert physical PS4 discs into the PS5 and play them on the next-gen console. You won't be able to use physical media on the PS5 Digital Edition because it doesn't have a disc drive..."

https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/ps5-backwards-compatibility-can-you-play-ps4-games-on-playstation-5

How far back do they go with the Backwards compatibility? Is it only one 'system' or is it any system prior?

I haven't had one since the PS2 but would think that its not difficult to make them so they can play back older games since they are all on disks and not changing cartridge shapes like the older consoles used to do, and if its a download it should be even easier.

5 hours ago, BritBill said:

Cheers.

Does he plan on getting rid of the PS4?  As long as he's not selling off that machine (will there be much value there?), he can still use that one too.  I have a PS2, 3, and 4 hooked up in different spots in my house.

1 hour ago, teef said:

it was terrible how it was put out there.  i just happened to be doing work last night and saw they were on sale.  every site crashed.  had it in a cart multiple times, only to say out of stock when entering my info.  not what i was expecting considering today was going to be the official release from what i've heard.  i'd prefer to get it at best buy as well for pick up reasons, but we'll see.

Yeah it was a total cluster ****. 

I was actually finally able to get my Best Buy order to go through about close to 3am. I had given up. I pressed the “place order” button one more time and walked away. Went downstairs to get a glass of water before I went to bed, fully expecting that when I came back my computer would still be on that same “place order” screen. As I’m filling my glass of water downstairs I hear my cell phone ding. So I went up to check it and to my surprise it was an “order confirmed” text from Best Buy. 

Their website was not AT ALL prepared to handle the PS5 launch. I mother ****-ed Best Buy quite a few times last night. 😂 I kept saying their website was the worst because they kept giving you hope. At least the other websites would say out of stock where as Best Buy kept teasing me. But it eventually went through so I guess I can’t be mad anymore. 

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I would hope so after how many times they bragged about increased production to meet demand.

Ill tell ya what though, as frustrating as it was the way it went down, when my order actually finally went through I was so relieved that I didn’t feel too upset about paying the full retail price... 😂 I’m usually the type that would wait a year for the price to drop but with being stuck home a lot more and with all the great games releasing right around the time the new consoles arrive, I really wanted to get one.

23 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

How far back do they go with the Backwards compatibility? Is it only one 'system' or is it any system prior?

I haven't had one since the PS2 but would think that its not difficult to make them so they can play back older games since they are all on disks and not changing cartridge shapes like the older consoles used to do, and if its a download it should be even easier.

Afaik it’s only ps4 games as of now.

50 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah it was a total cluster ****. 

I was actually finally able to get my Best Buy order to go through about close to 3am. I had given up. I pressed the “place order” button one more time and walked away. Went downstairs to get a glass of water before I went to bed, fully expecting that when I came back my computer would still be on that same “place order” screen. As I’m filling my glass of water downstairs I hear my cell phone ding. So I went up to check it and to my surprise it was an “order confirmed” text from Best Buy. 

Their website was not AT ALL prepared to handle the PS5 launch. I mother ****-ed Best Buy quite a few times last night. 😂 I kept saying their website was the worst because they kept giving you hope. At least the other websites would say out of stock where as Best Buy kept teasing me. But it eventually went through so I guess I can’t be mad anymore. 

I would hope so after how many times they bragged about increased production to meet demand.

Ill tell ya what though, as frustrating as it was the way it went down, when my order actually finally went through I was so relieved that I didn’t feel too upset about paying the full retail price... 😂 I’m usually the type that would wait a year for the price to drop but with being stuck home a lot more and with all the great games releasing right around the time the new consoles arrive, I really wanted to get one.

Afaik it’s only ps4 games as of now.

same thing here.  best buy kept telling me it was in my cart, but no checkout.  i was working until about 9:30-10, and just said ***** it.  i needed to sleep.  got up to find out nothing had worked.    now it's out everywhere.  supposedly there's going to be a second run today, but who knows.  i read sams club had them in stock, but it's the classic put it in your cart only to find out it's no longer in stock at check out.  

they're sending out preorder emails to the people who signed up for the playstation promotion, but i haven't seen a thing.  what a strange way to handle this.  xbox is just going to announce a time so everyone is ready.

56 minutes ago, shrader said:

Does he plan on getting rid of the PS4?  As long as he's not selling off that machine (will there be much value there?), he can still use that one too.  I have a PS2, 3, and 4 hooked up in different spots in my house.

The lucky little bugger has a Switch as well so I’m not sure where we’d keep 3 consoles 😀

I suspect we’ll box up the PS4 and keep in case of an emergency.

19 minutes ago, BritBill said:

The lucky little bugger has a Switch as well so I’m not sure where we’d keep 3 consoles 😀

I suspect we’ll box up the PS4 and keep in case of an emergency.

It's good for at least netflix or some other streaming services, depending on what you use.

3 hours ago, teef said:

same thing here.  best buy kept telling me it was in my cart, but no checkout.  i was working until about 9:30-10, and just said ***** it.  i needed to sleep.  got up to find out nothing had worked.    now it's out everywhere.  supposedly there's going to be a second run today, but who knows.  i read sams club had them in stock, but it's the classic put it in your cart only to find out it's no longer in stock at check out.  

they're sending out preorder emails to the people who signed up for the playstation promotion, but i haven't seen a thing.  what a strange way to handle this.  xbox is just going to announce a time so everyone is ready.

I signed up for pre order email alerts from Best Buy, GameStop, amazon and Sony and I have yet to get a single email from any of them (even though they’re already out of stock...) 🤷‍♂️

I heard WalMart is releasing more stock on the 22nd (both online and in person iirc).

I have a feeling you may see Sony release more that day too, just to mess with the Xbox series X pre orders that go live on the 22nd. 

If I see anything I’ll shoot you a message. 

Check out @IGNDeals on Twitter. They were all over it. They were sharing links to live/in stock pre orders on every site as soon as they went live. 

Also @geoffkeighley on Twitter. He’s the one who leaked that PS5 pre orders were starting last night and he was sharing links to pre orders too. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.