Female dog names

Augie

I miss my Polly Esther every day. Beautiful black lab/doberman rescue. She was a tough city broad, picked up  by animal control running loose in the First Ward at 4 months old. Used to walk Bidwell parks triangle with no leash, I trained her to wait while I crossed the street and then gave her the OK to cross. My wife always felt safe walking with her at night.

Now I have two dyngus dudes and they have a beautiful suburban yard, and we hike the gorge trails all the time. They’re good boys, but there’s always something special about that first one. Couldn’t bring myself to get another female yet. Maybe on the next round.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BarkLessWagMore said:

female dog names we have had are Maxie, Molly, Sadie, Maggie and Ginger. First three were Cocker Spaniels and the last two were Golden Retrievers.

Good luck with the pup.

I like Maggie, but that was the wife’s mother’s name and apparently we don’t want the non-dog lover rolling over in her grave. We’ve both had Molly’s before. I liked Sadie and Maxie and my wife mentioned Ginger. 

She brought up a Bills related name, but I shot down Buffy. She didn’t like Kelly (@Kelly the Dog, I’m thinking of you!) but I sent her a link to Beebe running down Leon Lett and she LOVED it. Beebe might be the front runner for Bills related names. 

Still in the mix are Lexi, Chloe and Scout (the pups mothers name, ironically). On a related note, if Broadway ever comes back and you get a chance to see To Kill a Mockingbird, I HIGHLY recommend it. 

EDIT: A friend just showed up to go out with my wife. Before they could leave the wife was saying “show her the Beebe video!” My wife doesn’t watch games, she just tolerates the boys around her, but she knows special when she sees it. Her friend knows almost zero about sports, but she said “that is SO AWESOME!” 

Edited by Augie

9 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I miss my Polly Esther every day. Beautiful black lab/doberman rescue. She was a tough city broad, picked up  by animal control running loose in the First Ward at 4 months old. Used to walk Bidwell parks triangle with no leash, I trained her to wait while I crossed the street and then gave her the OK to cross. My wife always felt safe walking with her at night.

Now I have two dyngus dudes and they have a beautiful suburban yard, and we hike the gorge trails all the time. They’re good boys, but there’s always something special about that first one. Couldn’t bring myself to get another female yet. Maybe on the next round.

People who are not dog lovers don’t get it. They are truly family, and in some ways they are sometimes better. 

I’m not a cat guy, but friends just lost a 16 year old rescue that’s been part of their family forever. They are crushed, and all I have to do is pretend it’s a dog to feel their pain. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Augie said:

People who are not dog lovers don’t get it. They are truly family, and in some ways they are sometimes better. 

I’m not a cat guy, but friends just lost a 16 year old rescue that’s been part of their family forever. They are crushed, and all I have to do is pretend it’s a dog to feel their pain. 

Definitely not a cat person either, but my wife brought her Walter into our relationship and I brought Polly. So together they were Wally & Polly. And boy did Polly & I harass that poor cat, lol!

He was cool though, made it to about 20 and he definitely used all of his nine lives.  He actually ran away for about two months, it was sad, my wife did the whole signs on the lamp post thing and everything. She was heartbroken.

Then one day I’m walking Polly down Auburn, and theres Walter, skinny as all hell just laying on someone’s front lawn about 10 blocks from our house. I couldn’t believe it! Literally said “Walter??!??” out loud. He dips under a porch, and me n Polly ran home. I grabbed the cat carrier, a can of cat food and hopped on my bicycle and went back to get him. Had to lure him out, he was definitely a little spooked. Neighbor fella told me he had been running around with some other strays, setting off everyones motion detectors all night. He said some folks in the neighborhood had been leaving food out for them. What a lucky cat!!

Got him home, my wife bawled her eyes out, we really couldn’t believe it, but it was definitely him. We fattened him back up and he lived another 12 years or so.

I was sad to see him go, just got really old and really skinny but he had a long happy life. We miss him, but my wife isn’t a cat person either, so we’re likely never getting another. She was in college and a dude showed up at their apartment with a box of kittens one day, how could she say no??

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Definitely not a cat person either, but my wife brought her Walter into our relationship and I brought Polly. So together they were Wally & Polly. And boy did Polly & I harass that poor cat, lol!

He was cool though, made it to about 20 and he definitely used all of his nine lives.  He actually ran away for about two months, it was sad, my wife did the whole signs on the lamp post thing and everything. She was heartbroken.

Then one day I’m walking Polly down Auburn, and theres Walter, skinny as all hell just laying on someone’s front lawn about 10 blocks from our house. I couldn’t believe it! Literally said “Walter??!??” out loud. He dips under a porch, and me n Polly ran home. I grabbed the cat carrier, a can of cat food and hopped on my bicycle and went back to get him. Had to lure him out, he was definitely a little spooked. Neighbor fella told me he had been running around with some other strays, setting off everyones motion detectors all night. He said some folks in the neighborhood had been leaving food out for them. What a lucky cat!!

Got him home, my wife bawled her eyes out, we really couldn’t believe it, but it was definitely him. We fattened him back up and he lived another 12 years or so.

I was sad to see him go, just got really old and really skinny but he had a long happy life. We miss him, but my wife isn’t a cat person either, so we’re likely never getting another. She was in college and a dude showed up at their apartment with a box of kittens one day, how could she say no??

My son just married a girl who brought cat into the relationship. Together they got a labradoodle puppy that has harassed that cat so much she just hides and only comes out at night. They’ve been together almost 3 years and I’ve only seen her twice! She’s strictly an indoor cat, but probably wishes running away was an option! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

My son just married a girl who brought cat into the relationship. Together they got a labradoodle puppy that has harassed that cat so much she just hides and only comes out at night. They’ve been together almost 3 years and I’ve only seen her twice! She’s strictly an indoor cat, but probably wishes running away was an option! 

We have 2 cats, and then brought the dog into the house (Clara is her name).

The cats treat the dog like a 4th class citizen.  Clara's gotten a lot of smacks across her nose for trying to sniff cat butt.  She never stops trying.

2 hours ago, snafu said:

We have 2 cats, and then brought the dog into the house (Clara is her name).

The cats treat the dog like a 4th class citizen.  Clara's gotten a lot of smacks across her nose for trying to sniff cat butt.  She never stops trying.

We have neighbors who “walk their cats”, not on a leash but walk around the circle where we live, carrying a flashlight to keep track of them. My dog Gracie always wants to go play with them. I don’t give her enough room on the leash to get near them and bring shame upon our household by getting whooped by a little kitty! She just wants to play, those cats mean business! 

I got a text from the breeder today. On 10/31 we get to go visit the puppies and pick one out. The litter has 10 dogs, but 7 were male and we want one of the 3 females. I think I I get first dibs on females as a repeat customer and for having come from out of state the last time we bought from him. I’ve been talking to him for almost a year! 

The mom is gorgeous, Scout, and the dad is a conformation champion. I’m not snobby in almost any respect, but I love my dogs so much I want healthy ones. We had a Cassie, Golden #5 for me, that we got from a back yard breeder and she had thyroid and submissive peeing problems, usually in the house but often in my car. It complicated things. Hats off to all you rescue people. I deeply admire that.     

The short list of names seems to be down to Chloe, Lexi, Scout and Beebe (after Don).  I’m not sure what I prefer, but the wife is pushing for Beebe after watching the clip of him running down Leon Lett in the SB. She appreciated that play more than I ever expected! 

On 9/16/2020 at 8:30 PM, Augie said:

About 72 hours ago our next “best friend” was born. She will be the companion to our current 11 year old Golden Retriever named Gracie. She’s coming from the same amazing breeder, and we get first pick of the females. 

My wife was going thru names and saw Buffy, thinking it might be meaningful and “Bills” related. Love the thought, but nope, NOT having a Buffy. I threw out Kelly, she didn’t bite. Wondering if anyone has some Bills related suggestions for a female Golden.

Prior to the Bills connection idea, we were tentatively thinking Lexi, Chloe or Scout (her mother’s name, and last trip to NYC with her we saw To Kill a Mockingbird and had the best night in a LONG time!).  

Thoughts? 

I have one Bills related name I’m saving, curious to see if anyone hits on it. 

OMG my female dog is named Gracie as well.  I swear to you.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

OMG my female dog is named Gracie as well.  I swear to you.

When that name came up I knew my wife would make Gracie happen. She has an angel in every room of our house. It was a done deal. 

This time around, she’s hell bent on (Don) Beebe. I’m not as sure. BB? Is that like Gigi? Or some other fluffy name? Will I have to explain it? A more “regular” name might be easier. But that rundown of Leon Lett is something special! She’s SOLD based on that video and wanting something Bills related. 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

When that name came up I knew my wife would make Gracie happen. She has an angel in every room of our house. It was a done deal. 

This time around, she’s hell bent on (Don) Beebe. I’m not as sure. BB? Is that like Gigi? Or some other fluffy name? Will I have to explain it? A more “regular” name might be easier. But that rundown of Leon Lett is something special! She’s SOLD based on that video and wanting something Bills related. 

I named mine after a bunch of men in Brazil.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.