How did the right side of the OL fare Sunday?

NewEra

15 hours ago, Logic said:

https://theathletic.com/2074936/2020/09/17/bills-all-22-review-why-josh-allen-was-so-dynamic-and-full-of-progress-vs-jets/

In Joe Buscaglia's All-22 Review of Sunday's game, he seems to disagree with those on here who said the right side of the line didn't play well.

He has high praise for both Ford and Williams:

Almost one year after his last guard stint, Ford turned in one of his best performances as a pro. It’s not a case of confirmation bias, either. Ford played with power in the run game, he controlled defenders in pass protection and, best yet, he didn’t have to worry about the speed threat to the outside of him. It wasn’t a perfect game for Ford, as he had a few bad reps that led to some negative plays. However, that’s probably more to do with rust on the interior than it is his playing ability. Ford flashed massive potential against a good Jets defensive line. He was more impressive and more comfortable in one start at guard than he ever was at right tackle last year. As long as this level of play continues, the Bills should keep their second-year player at right guard — even when Jon Feliciano is healthy.

However, the real revelation was Williams. I’ll admit, I was not optimistic about Williams’ chances. Last year in Carolina, he looked heavy-footed and unbalanced and seemed like his best days were past him. While it isn’t time to call it a full-fledged comeback just yet, Williams was easily the most impressive Bills player on Sunday outside of Allen. He was impenetrable in the first half and easily engulfed pass-rushing attempts. His foot quickness wasn’t even close to an issue, as he always looked in control. Williams packed a punch and knocked a couple of defenders off balance when chipping in on a combination block on running plays. He could also move the defender the way he wanted to open up running lanes.

However, it’s wise to show a little more caution with Williams than Ford because of the competition. The Jets’ interior defensive line is a strength, so Ford’s performance is impressive, but the Jets don’t have quality edge rushers, which could have influenced Williams’ performance. Regardless, his showing was so good that fans should be optimistic about what he’ll do against better pass rushers in Miami. If Williams keeps up this level of play, the Bills would have no reason to change the offensive line’s right side at all. If that were the case, Feliciano’s potential spot on the offensive line could be at left guard and replace the usual average performing Quinton Spain.

Joe B hates Quinton Spain. I am not sure he knows what he is looking at. I think we can safely assume given his extension that Beane and McDermott disagree with Joe.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Joe B hates Quinton Spain. I am not sure he knows what he is looking at. I think we can safely assume given his extension that Beane and McDermott disagree with Joe.

Fair.

Also, even though he says that his praise of Ford isn't confirmation bias, it's hard to entirely believe that.

He has been banging the "play Ford at guard" drum loudly four over a year. Of COURSE he's going to be looking more for the good than the bad in Ford's play in order to validate his narrative.

That said, I am encouraged about Darryl Williams. Even "consistent league average" level play at right tackle would be a good thing for this offensive line.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fair.

Also, even though he says that his praise of Ford isn't confirmation bias, it's hard to entirely believe that.

He has been banging the "play Ford at guard" drum loudly four over a year. Of COURSE he's going to be looking more for the good than the bad in Ford's play in order to validate his narrative.

That said, I am encouraged about Darryl Williams. Even "consistent league average" level play at right tackle would be a good thing for this offensive line.

The idea that Williams could sniff at that All-Pro level from a couple years ago gives me such good feelings about the line as a whole. 

• Like (+1) 1